Carlsberg Elephant

Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jed

Default Carlsberg Elephant

On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Jed
wrote:

On Sat, 02 May 2009 21:26:03 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

Jesper wrote on Sat, 2 May 2009 21:08:26 +0000 (UTC):

You can see the elephant he

http://tinyurl.com/d3azlm

Thanks, I wonder what European beer companies are *not* owned by
Carlsberg if you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsberg ?

This is the big one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev

Sorry, user error occurred here due to overuse of InBev products.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

wrote:

Jesper wrote on Sat, 2 May 2009 21:08:26 +0000 (UTC):

You can see the elephant he

http://tinyurl.com/d3azlm

Thanks, I wonder what European beer companies are *not*
owned by Carlsberg if you look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsberg ?

This is the big one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev

So Stella Artois really is the Budweiser of Belgium as it tastes!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old May 4th, 2009, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

James Silverton wrote:

Thanks, I wonder what European beer companies are *not*
owned by Carlsberg if you look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsberg ?

This is the big one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev

So Stella Artois really is the Budweiser of Belgium as it tastes!

That may be, but it still deserves to be judged on a scale above that of
the land of Bud.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
der gediegene dgs

James Silverton wrote, On 05/02/2009 02:26 PM:

I wonder what European beer companies are *not* owned by
Carlsberg

The vast majority of them, actually, including ones much bigger than
Carlsberg, like AB InBev (not really European, more global) and
Heineken, as well as the various European operations owned by SABMiller
(Pilsner Urquell, for instance). There are more than a thousand
breweries in Germany alone not owned by Carlsberg, and at least a
hundred more in Belgium.

There is a picture there showing the actual Carlsberg brews, seven of
them including Master and Special. I'm going to have visit Denmark again

Carlsberg's lagers are nothing special. The best beer they brew, the
old-fashioned Gamla Porter, is increasingly difficult to find. There's
a new breed of small, artisanal breweries in Denmark these days, and
they're really the ones worth seeking out.

After two recent weeks in Franconia, Cologne and Düsseldorf, and Belgium
(especially the Pajottenland), I'm convinced I've found the very best
places in Europe for beer drinkers. The rest simply don't compare,
Denmark included.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

der wrote on Sun, 03 May 2009 18:06:08 -0700:

I wonder what European beer companies are *not* owned by Carlsberg

The vast majority of them, actually, including ones much
bigger than Carlsberg, like AB InBev (not really European,
more global) and Heineken, as well as the various European
operations owned by SABMiller (Pilsner Urquell, for instance).
There are more than a thousand breweries in Germany alone not owned by
Carlsberg, and at least a hundred more in Belgium.

My original question was only asked in amazement at the extent of the
Carlsberg holdings! Jed's post yesterday informed me about InBev and
confirmed my deepest suspicions about Stella Artois :-) Is there
anywhere the *volume* of beer produced by the various companies is
tabulated? I'd forgotten about Heineken and I know I'm asking quantity
not quality since I'd be the first to admit that remarkable beer is made
by small breweries not only in Europe but in the US.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aporkalypse now

On May 4, 2:44*pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
[...]

InBev tried to brew Hoegaarden down in Wallonia but it turned out the
wrong colour.....now they are brewing back in Hoegaarden.....d'oh
Generally I will try to drink beer not owned by these global companies
because they always **** things up by trying to drive down costs and
inflate their own profits at the expense of customers (see pig flu
virus)

Every village around here seems to have their own micro
brewery......thankyou Belgium ;-)
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

James wrote to der gediegene dgs on Mon, 04 May 2009 12:44:26 GMT:

[...]

I think I've found an answer to my rhetorical question with this quote
from Wikipedia. "With an annual beer production of 139.2 million
hectoliters[, Heineken ranks as the third largest brewery in the world
after SABMiller and InBev, based on revenue." Carlsberg is only the
fourth largest.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland