Paris 28-30°C this week

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Mxsmanic

Default Paris 28-30°C this week

David Horne writes:

I've lived in hotter conditions than the summer
Paris endured last year, and didn't mind.

With no air conditioning, no ventilation, and high humidity? In a suit
and tie?

FWIW, as I type, according to the BBC website,
it's 3 degrees C warmer here in Manchester than it is in Paris, though
it looks like you'll have a scorcher today.

It's 32° outside right now, and 34° outside my window. This is 10°
above the normal daily maximum for an entire year in Paris (the normal
yearly high would be 24° C in August).

"Scorchers" are becoming the norm, rather than the exception.

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Mxsmanic

Earl writes:

My personal temperature scale is---

Well, mine is:

below -2° C = freezing cold, heavy garments needed

-2° to 0° C = cold

0° to 10° C = normal

10° to 20° C = warm

above 20° C = hot

By the way, there is already a shortage of rainfull in some parts
of France from this winter on. So we may be in for a long
hot and dry summer.

Every summer is hot and dry nowadays.

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Mxsmanic

a.spencer3 writes:

Why does no-one talk humidity, including our own UK TV weather progs?!

Because most people are clueless about warm weather.

Isn't humidity the whole key?

It is very significant in many ways.

But in Surrey today it's a mere 77F (25C), but 65% humidity, and it's not
comfortable.

It will get worse.

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Mxsmanic

Donna Evleth writes:

If you don't think cold, rainy Junes
exist in France, ask the D-Day veterans.

They don't exist _anymore_, at least not in Paris. D-Day was 60 years
ago.

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:05 PM
David Horne

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne writes:

I've lived in hotter conditions than the summer
Paris endured last year, and didn't mind.

With no air conditioning, no ventilation, and high humidity?

High humidity, and with a fan. I've tended to pick where I live where
the weather can get hot based on the amount of inbuilt ventilation. I
don't like air conditioning in the home, but I think it's pretty much
essential in some environments (offices, malls etc.) in hot weather.

In a suit
and tie?

Do you always have to ask silly questions. Of course not.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 8th, 2004, 02:05 PM
David Horne

Mxsmanic wrote:

above 20° C = hot

It's about 24 C here now, and 67% humidity. It's perfectly pleasant, ,
and not what I''d call "hot"- even in my study upstairs with the
computer etc. But, I live in an airy house with fairly high ceilings and
good cross ventilation. In the kitchen downstairs and one of the living
rooms, the temperature is always fairly stable- it feels relatively
quite cool down there just now.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 8th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Earl writes:

My personal temperature scale is---

Well, mine is:

below -2° C = freezing cold, heavy garments needed

-2° to 0° C = cold

0° to 10° C = normal

10° to 20° C = warm

above 20° C = hot

By the way, there is already a shortage of rainfull in some parts
of France from this winter on. So we may be in for a long
hot and dry summer.

Every summer is hot and dry nowadays.

In which case you would be well advised to move
elsewhere, Northern Canada, Norway or Alaska
would seem to meet your requirements nicely.

Right now its 8 deg C in Bodo Norway

Keith

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Mxsmanic" skrev i meddelandet
David Horne writes:

I've lived in hotter conditions than the summer
Paris endured last year, and didn't mind.

With no air conditioning, no ventilation, and high humidity?

For me, yes, several months in India,Africa and South America.
No air-condition but occassionally a fan.

In a suit
and tie?

Trousers and shirt.
No suit nor a tie , I must admit

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
a.spencer3

Mxsmanic wrote in message
a.spencer3 writes:

But in Surrey today it's a mere 77F (25C), but 65% humidity, and it's

not
comfortable.

It will get worse.

How right! We're now on 30C/69%!
But that horrific period in the summer last year was bad. Just over the
100F/38C and humidity right up at the top. Just like the times I used to
spend in Lagos, Nigeria, but without the a/c!
But I've had 111F (45C) and about 15% humidity in Jordan and that's just
great for me, especially with the accompanying scenery!
Then, you also have the relatively mild UK winter temperatures with high
humidity, which are far more uncomfortable than the frigid low humidity
winters in, say, Canada.
Humidity remains the key for me.

Surreyman

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM
a.spencer3

Mxsmanic wrote in message
It's 32° outside right now, and 34° outside my window. This is 10°

above the normal daily maximum for an entire year in Paris (the normal
yearly high would be 24° C in August).

Presumably that's average daily high over August - not actual daily max?

Surreyman