world's worst tourists

Old October 9th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Jenn

Default Nice Ugly Americans

In article ,
Desmond Coughlan wrote:

le Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:29:45 +0100, dans l'article
, Owain
a dit ...

| I know it seems like that to Europeans, but it still seems 200 years
| behind to Americans.
| For example, I still can't find supermarkets open on Sunday in Paris,
| even though the city is the size of Los Angeles. Ditto for supermarkets
| open 24 hours a day, even though smaller cities in the U.S. have had
| these for 20 years.

But Paris isn't *all* Europe. Sunday opening pretty universal in Scotland,
24 hour not too difficult to find.

Many supermarkets are open on Sunday mornings, now. I don't know where
Mxmaniac (or whatever) is living [1], but near my place, Bastille, there is
the Franprix on rue St-Antoine, just next to the St-Paul métro station.
Then there is the G20, at the same place, and a Monoprix which is 100m
towards Bastille, and finally, the big Monoprix that is on rue de Rivoli.
They're all open on Sunday mornings.

[1] and care even less

we never could figure out when things were open -- it is changeable and
of course many shops are mom and pop and open when they damn well please
-- we also found super markets open on Sundays
Old October 9th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Desmond Coughlan wrote:

le Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:36:40 -0500, dans l'article
, Olivers a
dit ...

But what happens when the US simply decides not to repay the debts, and
maybe invade instead ?

Aside from modern Switzerland, the US remains about the only country in the
world that hasn't "decided not to repay its debts" in the last century.

Of course, there was the little matter of UN funds, not paid until (IIRC)
1999 ...

{ snip }

yes true -- but the US also has footed the bill for many UN
interventions etc
Old October 9th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default world's worst tourists

Yaofeng wrote:
Jenn wrote in message news:
[Japanese tourists will also jump
lines routinely]

Can you tell the Japanese apart from other orientals? For example,
Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese?

For one thing, they speak Japanese, which is pretty much instantly
recognizable.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old October 9th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
Reid© writes:
so to be rich you have to also be idle by your definition?

No, you have to have more money than you know what to do with,
permanently.

Attention all rich people: If you run out of things to do with your money,
burn it.

There. As my message spreads, the rich will spontaneously cease to exist.

Old October 9th, 2003, 11:05 PM
S Viemeister

Owain wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote
| I know it seems like that to Europeans, but it still seems 200 years
| behind to Americans.
| For example, I still can't find supermarkets open on Sunday in Paris,
| even though the city is the size of Los Angeles. Ditto for supermarkets
| open 24 hours a day, even though smaller cities in the U.S. have had
| these for 20 years.

But Paris isn't *all* Europe. Sunday opening pretty universal in Scotland,
24 hour not too difficult to find.

Even in places like Inverness!
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Geoff McCaughan

In rec.travel.australia+nz Mxsmanic wrote:
Bram writes:

Indeed, your ideas about Europe sound a lot like how it used to be
200 years ago. Not anymore, mang.

I know it seems like that to Europeans, but it still seems 200 years
behind to Americans.

Perspectives can be interesting. Are you aware that for some of us, visiting
the US feels like travelling back in time too?

For example, I still can't find supermarkets open on Sunday in Paris,
even though the city is the size of Los Angeles. Ditto for supermarkets
open 24 hours a day, even though smaller cities in the U.S. have had
these for 20 years.

Does this make the inhabitants of Paris 'less rich' somehow?

I visited a little village recently where there is no supermarket at all.
There are limited opportunities for employment, but the inhabitants have a
thriving barter economy, and a full and active social life - there's always
something going on, plus they live in an area of natural beauty and there's
almost no crime.

By the standards of many, these people are living in poverty, yet they are
not impoverished, they eat well, have access to free health care, and have
active, uncrowded, low-stress lives.

Who is really 'rich'?
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Geoff McCaughan

In rec.travel.australia+nz David wrote:

Notwithstanding, it doesnt beat the easiest methods, inherit or marry
it.

Never marry for money - it's cheaper to borrow it from the bank.
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Mxsmanic

Owain writes:

But Paris isn't *all* Europe. Sunday opening pretty universal in Scotland,
24 hour not too difficult to find.

So what are the statistics for Europe overall?

Old October 9th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Mxsmanic

Desmond Coughlan writes:

Many supermarkets are open on Sunday mornings, now.

Probably the time of week when I am least likely to be up and about.

I suppose they close at 10 AM?

They're all open on Sunday mornings.

When they are open all day on Sunday, let me know. And I'd really be
interested if they open 24 hours.

There used to be a 24-hour convenience store at Beaugrenelle, but it's
back to standard French banker's hours now.

A new "Monop" (kind of a tiny, upscale, high-tech Monoprix) has opened
near Montparnasse, and at least it's open until midnight, but not on
Sundays.

There's YaTooPartoo, a kind of automated supermarket open 24 hours a
day, but there are only a handful in Paris. Their selection is small
but well chosen, and the prices are okay. The robots even work in
English if desired. But it's not the same as a full 24-hour
supermarket.

Old October 9th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Mxsmanic

Jenn writes:

we never could figure out when things were open -- it is changeable and
of course many shops are mom and pop and open when they damn well please
-- we also found super markets open on Sundays

Just pretend that every place is a bank, and that will give you a good
idea of the most likely opening hours in France.