London Hotel?

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default London Hotel?

Due to the greart number of hotels in London I can't settle on the one
I believe will give me the best value for the $.

I will be in London next month. What I am looking for in a hotel is:
modern, larger rooms (western standards), clean, safe, within walking
distance of restaurants and tourist attractions, internet cafe in house
or nearby. I'm not a fan of boutique properties, I'm more comfortable
in large hotels. Thanks.

Old October 12th, 2006, 06:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On 11 Oct 2006 21:33:16 -0700, "
wrote:

Due to the greart number of hotels in London I can't settle on the one
I believe will give me the best value for the $.

I will be in London next month. What I am looking for in a hotel is:
modern, larger rooms (western standards), clean, safe, within walking
distance of restaurants and tourist attractions, internet cafe in house
or nearby. I'm not a fan of boutique properties, I'm more comfortable
in large hotels. Thanks.

I used the www.priceline.co.uk "name your own price" system
and got the 4* Thistle marble Arch, effectively on Oxford
Street at the Hyde Park end for £73 per night in late June.

After I kicked up a fuss about the smoke smell in the first
room I was allocated - it was an excellent hotel. It's
probably even better if you happen to speak Arabic:-)

There is a business centre with internet, restaurants and
pubs nearby, and we strolled down to the Edgeware Road
corner each morning to share a very cheap "Full English
breakfast" between the two of us. Bus stops and tube to
almost anywhere are within a block.

The only odd thing was that reception is on the first (US
second) floor; there is an escalator up - but stairs down.
We eventually found that we could also use the service lift
to go down, but that's not mentioned unless you ask. A bit
odd for a 4*.

With "name your own price" you nominate the level and your
bid and a district, but you can't nominate a specific hotel.
However, if you wish to specify there are full listings with
maps etc at slightly higher prices. For example:
http://www.priceline.co.uk/pcln/loca..._london/london

I noted in pre-checking before writing this that a number of
hotels are booked out for some reason in mid-November - so I
wouldn't delay.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Alan,
Just how large is London? For example, I have a meeting near Oxford
Circus (wherever that is) should I limit myself to that area or is all
parts of london a short taxi ride from each other?

Old October 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On 11 Oct 2006 23:01:12 -0700, "
wrote:

Alan,
Just how large is London? For example, I have a meeting near Oxford
Circus (wherever that is) should I limit myself to that area or is all
parts of london a short taxi ride from each other?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask- I've only spent 9 days
there in my life (but I'll try, and others will correct
me:-)

London is an enormous city - but the parts you are after are
fairly close to the central districts of "The City" and
Westminster

For example, the hotel I mentioned, at Marble Arch, is
exactly a mile along Oxford Street to Oxford Circus - which
is the intersection of Oxford and Regent. I quite easily
strolled from the British Museum via Oxford Circus back to
the hotel.

As to cabs - it probably depends on whether it's rush hour
or not. But the buses and the tube are regular and
reasonably clean - except when you accidentally pick a day
when they're holding a Gay Pride Parade as I did and they
close Oxford Street.

The Theatre that we went to (Blood Brothers, forgotten the
Theatre name) was down near Tottenham Court Road, another
mile further on.

Beyond that, you'll have to ask one of the regulars.

And have look at the map on www.viamichelin.com

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit 't Hart

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Due to the greart number of hotels in London I can't settle on the one
I believe will give me the best value for the $.

I will be in London next month. What I am looking for in a hotel is:
modern, larger rooms (western standards), clean, safe, within walking
distance of restaurants and tourist attractions, internet cafe in house
or nearby. I'm not a fan of boutique properties, I'm more comfortable
in large hotels. Thanks.

You could check out: http://tinyurl.com/ph8mn

Click on the name of the hotel for details incl address.

Gerrit - Oz

Old October 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON

" wrote in message
ups.com...
Alan,
Just how large is London? For example, I have a meeting near Oxford
Circus (wherever that is) should I limit myself to that area or is all
parts of london a short taxi ride from each other?

Another Alan replying!

It very much depends what you mean by "London". I live at West Drayton, due
north of Heathrow airport and close enough to watch the planes taking off.
It's 13 miles by train from Paddington, and still in London for
administrative purposes. In this sense, London is about 30 miles wide.

Central London is probably about five miles across. Public transport links
are excellent, and Oxford Circus is served by three tube lines (Central,
Bakerloo, Victoria) as well as dozens of bus services.

I can't help you with your choice of hotel. Living here, I don't use London
hotels, but could I suggest that you ask advice about transport from the
airport AFTER you have chosen your hotel. The best route will depend on that
and may not be the obvious one. (For instance, if you end up in a hotel near
Waterloo, the best route might be to take a bus from H'row to Feltham and a
train to Waterloo.)

Alan Harrison

Old October 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Alan S" wrote in message

I'm probably the wrong person to ask

Judging by your response, you are exactly the right person to ask! Just
one point though - I'd be careful about using the word 'Oxford' without
adding 'Street' to it - London is not New York and asking a cab to take
you to Oxford could well result in a 60+ mile journey out to that great
university city! :-)

The Theatre that we went to (Blood Brothers, forgotten the
Theatre name) was down near Tottenham Court Road, another
mile further on.

Tottenham Court Road is the street you're on if you turn left at the east
end of Oxford Street. Turn right and you're on Charing Cross Road, which
is where you saw 'Blood Brothers' at the Phoenix Theatre.

Ian

Old October 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On 11 Oct 2006 21:33:16 -0700, "
wrote:

Due to the greart number of hotels in London I can't settle on the one
I believe will give me the best value for the $.

I will be in London next month. What I am looking for in a hotel is:
modern, larger rooms (western standards), clean, safe, within walking
distance of restaurants and tourist attractions, internet cafe in house
or nearby. I'm not a fan of boutique properties, I'm more comfortable
in large hotels. Thanks.

The group of hotels that will fit what you require
is the President group. They are located in Bloomsbury, they
also use the Hotelink $30, shuttle from Heathrow to the hotel door.
http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/tavistock.htm