travel advice beyond snoring

Old November 14th, 2004, 02:29 AM
szozu

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:35:37 +0100, "szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com
wrote:

"Fritos" wrote in message

My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Taking along the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an excellent travel
choice!

That's one of the very few books that I was never able to finish.

I think you have to be in the right mood to read it. I first became familiar
with it in the 70's in the UK where it was presented on the radio. I found
it was absolutely hilarious and when I read the book, the radio voices
remained in my head.

Lana

Old November 15th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , szozu at hoppbunny at

wrote:

"Fritos" wrote in message

My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Taking along the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an excellent travel
choice!

That's one of the very few books that I was never able to finish.

I think you have to be in the right mood to read it. I first became familiar
with it in the 70's in the UK where it was presented on the radio. I found
it was absolutely hilarious and when I read the book, the radio voices
remained in my head.

Lana

Try "No sh*tting in the Toilet" by Peter Moore - unless you're from Brisbane
in which case you'll hate it....

Old November 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM
joe silver

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com wrote in message ...
"B Vaughan" wrote in message
news
That's one of the very few books that I was never able to finish.

I think you have to be in the right mood to read it. I first became familiar
with it in the 70's in the UK where it was presented on the radio. I found
it was absolutely hilarious and when I read the book, the radio voices
remained in my head.

Ha! Yeah, the radio show is brilliant. I personally loved the books
too, but what I am indeed waiting for is the upcoming movie. And yes,
in the past I used to assume that there would be a towel at my
destination to use, but now I carry one with me. It is the most
essential of all travel items.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...thegalaxy.html
http://douglasadams.se/movie/

Althoug the BBD recently redid the radio show of Hitchhiker's Guide so
that is cool too.

Old November 20th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Skorch

Fritos wrote:

I've been having a good time reading the snoring and hostel stories. I
tried the StudentUniverse advice and found a cheaper flight to Rome than
what I was going to spend on Travelocity, so I'm kind of psyched. I've got
my earplugs packed for dorm living, but what else do I need for a
successful budget trip? My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

Check out www.bugeurope.com (they also have a site for Aus and NZ) for
excellent tips and a wicked reader-reviewed database of hostels. I
didn't use my lonely planet once for a place to stay thanks to that site.

--
-Skorch
www.gonzotravel.net
Old November 21st, 2004, 12:09 AM
st

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:37:26 +0100, B wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:57:58 GMT, Fritos
wrote:

I've been having a good time reading the snoring and hostel stories. I
tried the StudentUniverse advice and found a cheaper flight to Rome than
what I was going to spend on Travelocity, so I'm kind of psyched. I've got
my earplugs packed for dorm living, but what else do I need for a
successful budget trip? My one friend said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy and packing a towel were a must.

If you're staying in hostels, you need something like a towel.
However, an actual towel takes a long time to dry. I suggest using
large squares of kitchen gauze, which you can find in most hardware
stores.

Bloke I met at a hostel once didn't bring a towel to his Europe
sojourn and just used hostel sheets to dry himself the whole time. Was
too poor (or too tight) to buy a towel. And obviously didn't think of
stealing one from the hostel, which is very common...
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM
bogus address

what else do I need for a successful budget trip? My one friend
said reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and packing a towel
were a must.

If you're staying in hostels, you need something like a towel.
However, an actual towel takes a long time to dry. I suggest using
large squares of kitchen gauze, which you can find in most hardware
stores.

Bloke I met at a hostel once didn't bring a towel to his Europe
sojourn and just used hostel sheets to dry himself the whole time.
Was too poor (or too tight) to buy a towel. And obviously didn't
think of stealing one from the hostel, which is very common...

I like the large thin Turkish towels they use in Turkish baths -
these dry fast and are useful for other things as well as drying
yourself. A Palestinian-type scarf can do the same job.

The most impressive bit of traveller's towelmanship I have ever seen
was when I was hitching from Thessaloniki to Istanbul in 1981. The
guy just ahead of me in the queue for a lift was an Austrian going
the same way who had come all the way from home wearing nothing but
a pair of very brief denim shorts and flip-flops. His entire baggage
was in a rolled-up towel that he carried in one hand in a bundle about
the size of a large loaf of bread.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.