uk-new york

Old September 16th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Keith Willshaw

Default uk-new york

"KGB" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:05:36 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

SNIP

If you have been convicted of an arrestable offence (not including
minor traffic offences such as speeding) you will not be entitled
to travel under the visa waiver program

Hi

In a recent article in a UK national paper a week or so ago (I forget
which one - Daily Telegraph??), it confirmed the above.

However, it went on to add that according to a statement from the Home
Office to that newspaper, the UK authorities have NO official contact
with the US immigration department, therefore the US authorities have
absolutely no way of verifying whether or not anybody actually has a
criminal record.

Not strictly true, they do have contact via the Interpol International
notice scheme. If their is a warrant out for your arrest, you
are under police surveillance, the UK police have asked
for information about you or you are considered a likely
recidivist they may well know about you.

Whilst I am certainly not suggesting that "ex-criminals" ignore the
current regulations and I am not an ex-criminal myself I hasten to add
- well, never been caught anyway - this rather intrigued me.

Any comments from anyone??

http://www.interpol.int/Public/ICPO/...s/FS200105.asp

Keith

Old September 17th, 2003, 01:25 AM
nick

No.

"aNdy" wrote in message ...
Hi all
I'm wanting to go to New York from the UK for a long weekend and was
wondering if I need a visa to visit the US.
TIA
Andy

Old September 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Me

In article , "aNdy"
wrote:

Hi all
I'm wanting to go to New York from the UK for a long weekend and was
wondering if I need a visa to visit the US.

That depends on your passport. If you hold a UK passport and it is
valid, you don't need a visa. Certainly for an authoritative answer,
contact the American embassy or consul nearest you for info.
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Mark Hewitt

"aNdy" wrote in message
Hi all
I'm wanting to go to New York from the UK for a long weekend and was
wondering if I need a visa to visit the US.
TIA

No. As long as you have a UK passport which has plenty of time left on it
then you will be given a green visa waiver form to fill in, usually both on
the plane and at checkin. You need a visa if you have been convicted of an
arrestable offence however (my memory fails here, do you have to have been
convicted or just arrested, and didn't read somewhere that convictions which
are considered spent under UK law are not spent as far as the USA is
concerned?)

You will need the address of the place where you are staying for your first
night, so if you've booked a hotel make sure you haven't put the address in
your checked baggage!

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Me wrote:

Certainly for an authoritative answer,
contact the American embassy or consul nearest you for info.

This costs quite a bit in the U.K.