Q: Where to vaccinate against rabbies in Washington DC

Old September 20th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Shashay Doofray

Default Where to vaccinate against rabbies in Washington DC

They have rabies vaccinations for PEOPLE? Good lord, do you have to wear a
little tag around your neck too?

How silly.

SD

Old September 20th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Daniel Rolf

--
dipl.-inf. cand.-phys. Daniel Rolf
finecode software / www.finecode.de
"Keith Willshaw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"fishman" wrote in message

I think the question is: why do you feel you need this? You don't need

get a vaccine the way you do for measles or tetanus or polio - because
rabies is not communicable except by a bite from a rabid mammal, which

is
extremely rare; and after such a bite you have more than a week in which

seek medical treatment and start the vaccination process. I have never
heard of anyone getting a vaccination series just for travel.

Chris

If you are intending to some jungle trekking in Central America
the advice is to have the shots. The problem is that a lot of
animals there, including bats, carry rabies and there's a good chance
that at some point you will get bitten by something.

If your intention is just to visit the cities then the advice is
not to bother.

That said there's a raft of other jabs you REALLY need like
yellow fever, hepatitis etc

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

Keith

THAT'S RIGHT! We're gonna go to Central America for about 4 months...

bye
Daniel

Old September 20th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Daniel Rolf

--
dipl.-inf. cand.-phys. Daniel Rolf
finecode software / www.finecode.de
"Daniel Rolf" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

Thanks
Daniel

--
dipl.-inf. cand.-phys. Daniel Rolf
finecode software / www.finecode.de

Thanks for your many remarks -- even about why to do that...

But, we're going to depest Central Amercia, and there is a good chance to
get bitten my some
stray dog or you know... Why take chances? Do you think e.g. Nicaragua can
offer good
postexposure medication?

I am living here in Germany and almost don't care about rabies, yet it's
different if you're going to
travel to 3rd world countries... You know, if you have rabies, at first you
may not recognize it (bat
bite), and when you recognize it's too late!

Thanks
Daniel

Old September 20th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Clare Sleeter

go to
www.CDC.gov
also for private MDs in your area check
www.ISTM.org
Further, your local health dept. may provide some assistance.

Daniel Rolf wrote:

--
[...]

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

Old September 20th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Clare Sleeter

Daniel I read your note again and just saw that you are currently in Germany.
Do you plan on getting a yellow fever jab and taking Malaria pills?
If so, whomever is doing that for you in Germany should be able to get the
rabies immunization as well.
I still think the CDC site I gave you will be of interest.

Old September 21st, 2003, 07:58 AM
DMW

Shashay Doofray wrote:

They have rabies vaccinations for PEOPLE? Good lord, do you have to wear a
little tag around your neck too?

How silly.

Considering rabies is about a 99.99% fatal disease when contracted, and
that some occupations (veterinary medicine, animal control, etc) are at
high risk for exposure to potentially rabid animals, it's not at all
silly. I've been vaccinated for rabies due to my occupation, and haven't
come in come in contact with a known rabid animal to date, but I do know of
several people in my occupation that have, including people at my current
workplace a year or two prior to my working there. (No tags, but the nurse
in charge of doing antibody titres keeps files on our annual rabies
antibody titre results and any boosters we may need if our titres are too
low -- that's one annual test I don't miss -- in my case, it would be silly
to not be vaccinated).

DMW
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:59 PM
Daniel Rolf

"Clare Sleeter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
go to
www.CDC.gov
also for private MDs in your area check
www.ISTM.org
Further, your local health dept. may provide some assistance.

Finally, someone gave some links...

Thanks

Daniel

Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:04 PM
ncurtis

"Daniel Rolf" wrote in message ...
we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we

don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details

about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's

the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

http://dchealth.dc.gov/services/admi...al_travel.shtm
lists local travel clinics. You'll probably need to contact them
directly for price information. There might also be clinics in nearby
parts of Virginia and Maryland. Also, assuming you will travel in
other parts of North America besides Washington, DC, the local health
clinic might offer rabies prophylaxis.

For what it's worth, my local city Department of Health and Welfare
(Bangor, Maine--probably not on your itinerary) offers the 3-dose
series at $95 per shot.

Nancy
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:01 PM
Clare Sleeter

Nancy, I was also thinking he could call a local Vet's office in Germany to find out where they
get their shots as well.

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:05:38 +0200 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
"Daniel Rolf" wrote:

Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

rabies vaccinations are only given in a series, and almost always
only *after* you have been bitten by an animal that might have
been rabid. they are very painful, and can make you very sick.

your chances of getting bitten by a rabid animal are so small as
to be almost impossible.