Traveling in UK and Germany - where to rent car?

Old October 21st, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Traveller[_5_]

Default Traveling in UK and Germany - where to rent car?

"Brian" wrote in message
. ..
I should have been more specific. I arrive LHR 23 Oct. Need to be in
Germany 24-31 Oct. Then back to London 31 Oct - 2 Nov. Then back to Germany
2 -5 Nov. Then back to LHR 6 Nov...

Thanks for clarifying. Your schedule will be crazy to drive - getting from
London to even the westernmost parts of Germany (you haven't specified where
you want to go - can you tell us?) is a full day's travel by road, even
using the (expensive!) eurotunnel service. London-Dusseldorf is 360 miles
by road.

Try www.lowcost.com to find airlines that fly to where you need to be in
Germany, and then use www.skyscanner.net to find cheap fares. As an
example:

Oct 24 - London Stansted to Dusseldorf Weeze (NRN), returning Oct 31 -
£55/$110 including fees for booking, baggage and checkin on Ryanair
(warning - only 15kg/32lb baggage allowance, any more than this and they'll
stiff you)

I was hoping airfare from London to Germany would be cheap but everything
I see is in $350 ballpark (except for the cheap airlines which I am
skeptical over...).

Perfectly OK, as others have said - but make sure you read and understand
the rules about checkin and baggage in particular, baggage allowances in
Europe are much, much lower than in US.

*Don't* drive from London to Germany. Fly between the two points, and hire
a car either end. It *might* be cheaper for you to hire a car for your
whole German trip right through from October 24th to November 5th, just
leaving it parked at the airport for the few days you're in the UK.

Without wishing to sound too nosey, can you give us an idea of where you'll
be in Germany and the Uk during the trip - if you're on business around
London, you probably don't want a hire car, it's a liability!

Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:54:33 -0400, "Brian"
wrote:

I should have been more specific. I arrive LHR 23 Oct. Need to be in Germany
24-31 Oct. Then back to London 31 Oct - 2 Nov. Then back to Germany 2 -5
Nov. Then back to LHR 6 Nov...

I was hoping airfare from London to Germany would be cheap but everything I
see is in $350 ballpark (except for the cheap airlines which I am skeptical
over...).

thanks,

brian

If you contact one of the better agencies direct and explain
the situation, you may be able to come up with a deal for a
rental based at each airport to meet your needs, based on a
discount rate for the total days need at each end.

BA sometimes has specials
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...any&depApt=LHR

Also try www.opodo.com, www.kayak.com and
www.skyscanner.net. Others may offer other sites.

With those dates and the distances involved you'll be
stuffed from driving fairly soon if you keep driving back
and forth.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:23:08 -0400 schrieb Brian:

I will be traveling in UK and Germany and am trying to figure out if I
should rent a car in Germany or UK. I will be driving more in Germany and
was thinking I would rent in Germany. But will that pose any problems in UK
(i.e. steering wheel on left side)?

Why you want to pay all that money to ship a rent car back and forth
between UK and Germany?
When in Germany you rent a German car, and in the UK you rent another
UK-car. It will end up cheaper than paying the ferry or Eurostar for the
car, and you have no hassle with the rental-company or insurance.

Regards,

Frank
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Richard J.

Brian wrote:
I should have been more specific. I arrive LHR 23 Oct. Need to be
in Germany 24-31 Oct. Then back to London 31 Oct - 2 Nov. Then back
to Germany 2 -5 Nov. Then back to LHR 6 Nov...

If you will be in London for the whole of the UK periods of your trip,
why do you want to hire a car? Public transport is good; car parking is
expensive and can be scarce, and on top of all the other costs you pay
GBP 8.00 per day congestion charge to drive in Central London. What
sort of journeys were you thinking of doing by car in or around London?

--
Richard J.
(to e-mail me, change 'ten' to 'net' in address)

Old November 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2007-10-21, =?Windows-1252?Q?Markku_Gr=F6nroos?= wrote:

I doubt that rental contracts usually prohibit the use of ferries for
crossing the Channel. Anyways, most international companies do allow their
cars to be driven from Germany to the UK.

Europcar do restrict the classes of cars they allow for travel to Britain
(same restriction as to Poland). They're also not fond of Mediterranean
islands; although France and Spain are unrestricted, _no_ class of car is
allowed for Corsica and Mallorca.

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Try with Izzirent.com
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 667

No.

a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
Try with Izzirent.com