What to take on (business) trip to Nigeria?

Old October 4th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Jeremy

Default What to take on (business) trip to Nigeria?

For my first trip to a non-European or US destination (well, Japan as
well...) I am going in at the deep end - Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

Can some more experienced readers advise what I need to take, and what
not to take?

Other advice also welcome!

J.
Old October 4th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

(Jeremy) wrote:

For my first trip to a non-European or US destination (well, Japan as
well...) I am going in at the deep end - Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

Can some more experienced readers advise what I need to take, and what
not to take?

Other advice also welcome!

Jeremy,

I have nothing particularly for Nigeria, but for the basic
checklist, please have a look at
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm. Some of this is east Africa
specific, but at least the what-to-take checklist is valid for
most of Africa, and it is fairly complete. At least you can be
sure you haven't forgotten anything essential.

Please look at the chapter for travel preparations.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old October 4th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Jeremy
writes
For my first trip to a non-European or US destination (well, Japan as
well...) I am going in at the deep end - Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

Can some more experienced readers advise what I need to take, and what
not to take?

Other advice also welcome!

J.

Jeremy,
I will let a recent visitor to PH to get back to you but having lived
there for three years some years ago, I can tell you that the climate
is Very humid, so take cotton clothing. It also rains very
heavily----- about 275 or more Inches of rain per year.
You don`t say if you are going for a short business trip or a longer
contract. Be prepared for frequent power cuts and lots of people
asking for "dash" or a bribe!
It`s certainly an experience. Tell us what sort of trip you are going
on, ie, short or long. That way we can give more advice.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old October 4th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On 4/10/03 7:15 pm, in article , "Pat
Anderson" wrote:

In message , Jeremy
writes
[...]

Thanks for your reply. It is (hopefully) a short trip. One question in
particular - how to carry money? Lots of local currency for the bribes you
mention?

J.

Old October 5th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Jeremy Henderson
writes
On 4/10/03 7:15 pm, in article , "Pat
Anderson" wrote:

In message , Jeremy
writes
[...]

Don`t pay the "dash" if you can avoid it Jeremy, however, there may be
some situations where you will do so out of desperation, like for a
hotel room, even though you have a booking, or a flight (internal) same
thing.
We always carried money in the usual way but some people use a money
belt. It`s just common sense and vigilance.
You will of course have your anti malaria protection sorted out and
take some insect repellent.
The main problem can be the climate and the frustration of trying to get
things done. If you are staying in a good hotel you should be OK
there.
I don`t want to sound too negative but being aware is a good idea!
Visit the Lonely Planet website ( Africa section) and see if there
are any recent traveller tips for Nigeria.
I`d be interested to hear how you got on in PH. Good luck!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Calvn Singleton

Many of the Nigerians I have met in this country dress well. I,ve seen
leather vest and fine rayon slacks of the quality type. For business you
might take a light sachel with camera and extra film.

Old October 9th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Jeremy Henderson
writes
On 7/10/03 8:22 pm, in article
, "Calvn Singleton"
wrote:

Many of the Nigerians I have met in this country dress well. I,ve seen
leather vest and fine rayon slacks of the quality type. For business you
might take a light sachel with camera and extra film.

If I take my camera will is it likely to be stolen, either by ordinary
thieves, or by customs people?

J.

(probably this is a really stupid question - I always laugh at people on
rec.tavel.europe who post questions about, say, being pickpocketed in the
Paris Metro, and now I realise I am in the same position - of knowing
nothing about my destination save horror stories)

Jeremy,
Just take a small cheap camera so that nobody will want to steal it!
Don`t let the horror stories worry you, remember we survived Five
years in Nigeria! It will be strange for you but surely there will be
someone to meet you and show you the ropes? It`s just different from
what you are used to that`s all. Look at it as an experience and next
time try to go to somewhere like Kenya on business! You might actually
enjoy it!
By the way, are you British? Let me know if you need any more help.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old October 19th, 2003, 04:14 PM

Don't believe all the horror stories you read on this group. I posted
the same query (more or less) some six months ago, and now I wonder if
any of the people replying have actually been there.

Pat Anderson poked a keyboard and produced:
: wrote:
:
[...]
: --
: Pat Anderson