Canada holiday plans - advice please

Old December 3rd, 2005, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Canada holiday plans - advice please

Hello everyone

Next year we are planning to take our two children (aged 15 and 10) to
Canada for 2 weeks in either late July or early to mid August. We
particularly want to visit Niagara Falls, would like a scenic train trip
and my husband and kids would love to go somewhere wild and lonely
(though I confess this last one scares me a bit!).

We live in the UK and the extent of our foreign travel so far is just
France and Spain, so we are looking for any advice we can get to help
us plan our trip. We are not that well off financially and have saved
hard to fund this holiday. A few things I can think of that I could use
advice on are as follows:-

1) What is the weather likely to offer and what are the normal
temperatures day and night in July and August?

2) Are there any bugs to worry about (mosquitoes, gnats things that bite
or sting)?

3) Is tap water safe to drink?

4) We plan to move around a bit to see as much as possible, is there any
particular type of accommodation, motels, hotels, or self-catering
places that you could reccommend to either stay in or stay away from?

5) What is the usual cost of hotel rooms, do Canadian hotels offer
family rooms that sleep 4 people, and what facilities are regarded as
usual in rooms?

6) What is parking like in Ontario, are the roads very busy?

I'm sure I'll think of lots more questions the minute I hit the 'send'
button, but thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer - it
will be greatly appreciated!

Lynda
Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 13:37:09 GMT, LJE wrote:

Hello everyone

Next year we are planning to take our two children (aged 15 and 10) to
Canada for 2 weeks in either late July or early to mid August. We
particularly want to visit Niagara Falls, would like a scenic train trip
and my husband and kids would love to go somewhere wild and lonely
(though I confess this last one scares me a bit!).

We live in the UK and the extent of our foreign travel so far is just
France and Spain, so we are looking for any advice we can get to help
us plan our trip. We are not that well off financially and have saved
hard to fund this holiday. A few things I can think of that I could use
advice on are as follows:-

1) What is the weather likely to offer and what are the normal
temperatures day and night in July and August?

Depending on location, weather can be anything from snow in July in Alberta,
to tropical storms in Ontario!!

2) Are there any bugs to worry about (mosquitoes, gnats things that bite
or sting)?

Canada is flooded every summer by hordes of foul mosquitoes, and in some parts
of Ontario and Alberta, huge black flies that can chew large chunks of skin
out of your body!

3) Is tap water safe to drink?

Definitely not in many places, such as Walkerville Ontario, and Edmonton
Alberta, to name two places that have made the news.

4) We plan to move around a bit to see as much as possible, is there any
particular type of accommodation, motels, hotels, or self-catering
places that you could reccommend to either stay in or stay away from?

With the sky-high costs for hotels/motels in Canada, plus double sales taxes -
GST PLUS PST, do you really want to waste so much money here?
Eastern Europe is much better, and cheaper.

5) What is the usual cost of hotel rooms, do Canadian hotels offer
family rooms that sleep 4 people, and what facilities are regarded as
usual in rooms?

$100 to $400 per person,per room, taxes extra!!

6) What is parking like in Ontario, are the roads very busy?

Roads are atrocious, and some highways even are toll roads charging for every
kilometer, without any better condition!

I'm sure I'll think of lots more questions the minute I hit the 'send'
button, but thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer - it
will be greatly appreciated!

Lynda

If you enjoy being swindled daily, then you may enjoy travel in Canada.
On the other hand, why not consider Dominican Republic? They have fantastic
all-inclusive package tours - airfare,hotels,meals.
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe

"Ariadne" wrote in message

Are you still here , you arrogant pussy?

Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

LJE wrote:

Hello everyone

Next year we are planning to take our two children (aged 15 and 10) to
Canada for 2 weeks in either late July or early to mid August. We
particularly want to visit Niagara Falls, would like a scenic train trip
and my husband and kids would love to go somewhere wild and lonely
(though I confess this last one scares me a bit!).

In Canada you are rarely very far from the wild. From a UK point of
view you should talk about what they want. Wild in North America can
certainly get scary. However, natural and reasonably remote can be
quite enjoyable and safe. Personally I would head east from the Niagara
area to Nova Scotia. It's a fair distance but you should do well. If
you go west the north side of lake Ontario is nice.

We live in the UK and the extent of our foreign travel so far is just
France and Spain, so we are looking for any advice we can get to help
us plan our trip. We are not that well off financially and have saved
hard to fund this holiday. A few things I can think of that I could use
advice on are as follows:-

1) What is the weather likely to offer and what are the normal
temperatures day and night in July and August?

They should be cool and fairly pleasant. I drove from Quebec thru
Ontario to Michigan and quite enjoyed it.

2) Are there any bugs to worry about (mosquitoes, gnats things that bite
or sting)?

Bugs are always with us. In the north with its short season they tend
to be aggressive. Take repellent with you.

3) Is tap water safe to drink?

Baring local problems which can occur anywhere yes. I've never taken
any precautions. If you are worried bottled water is cheap in local stores.

4) We plan to move around a bit to see as much as possible, is there any
particular type of accommodation, motels, hotels, or self-catering
places that you could reccommend to either stay in or stay away from?

5) What is the usual cost of hotel rooms, do Canadian hotels offer
family rooms that sleep 4 people, and what facilities are regarded as
usual in rooms?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Beds, toilet, shower, & sink are
pretty much always there. Occasionally down the hall but normally
ensuite. In higher priced places there may be a fridge & microwave but
these are more common in the US than in Canada. A room for 4 would
usually be 2 beds Queen or King. Cots are often available. If you are
driving stop reasonably early. You can hit remote areas where there is
little choice.

6) What is parking like in Ontario, are the roads very busy?

Parking is better than in the UK. Folks mostly move by car outside of a
few cities. In a tourist area like Niagara it van get crowded and you
can walk a lot. (Perhaps not a lot by UK standards.)

Roads in Ontario are usually pretty small. Even the Trans Canada
Highway is two lanes and undivided in places. However, traffic is often
light. Where it is heavy around cities the roads are larger, divided
and limited access.

Buy a good map, plan ahead, and pay attention. Signage is good but can
often be confusing to folks not accustomed to local customs.

I'm sure I'll think of lots more questions the minute I hit the 'send'
button, but thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer - it
will be greatly appreciated!

Come back with more questions. You will get erratic answers but a lot
of folks are friendly.
Lynda

Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"LJE" wrote in message
Hello everyone

Next year we are planning to take our two children (aged 15 and 10) to
Canada for 2 weeks in either late July or early to mid August. We
particularly want to visit Niagara Falls, would like a scenic train trip
and my husband and kids would love to go somewhere wild and lonely
(though I confess this last one scares me a bit!).

We live in the UK and the extent of our foreign travel so far is just
France and Spain, so we are looking for any advice we can get to help
us plan our trip. We are not that well off financially and have saved
hard to fund this holiday. A few things I can think of that I could use
advice on are as follows:-

1) What is the weather likely to offer and what are the normal
temperatures day and night in July and August?

It can depend on where you are going. Southern Ontario ( Niagar Falls) is
likely to be hot and humid - temperatures can reach 35 degrees C quite
easily, or they might not. 2 years ago we surpassed 30 degrees on over 30
days, this summer we did it 3 times.

Check www.weather.com and look for "averages and records" for your selected
cities. Then select the month you are interested in.

2) Are there any bugs to worry about (mosquitoes, gnats things that bite
or sting)?

In Southern Ontario - usually just mosquitoes at dusk. Some years good, some
bad. If you travel farther north, the mosquitoes can be awful, and black
flies in June and July can be terrible too. A can of Off in the large
cities, will do you just fine.

3) Is tap water safe to drink?

What do you think we drink here?

4) We plan to move around a bit to see as much as possible, is there any
particular type of accommodation, motels, hotels, or self-catering
places that you could reccommend to either stay in or stay away from?

Too broad a question. You'll find all the major chains here, and also some
run down independent operations. Searching for accomodation in canada is no
different than in Europe.

5) What is the usual cost of hotel rooms, do Canadian hotels offer
family rooms that sleep 4 people, and what facilities are regarded as
usual in rooms?

Most hotel/motels offer rooms that have two double, or queen, size beds. You
can often get a pullout sofa, or a roll-away.
Costs depend on quality, location, and season - $60 - $140 for a double
would cover most of the range.

Try travelocity or expedia and do a search, or go through your Motor
Association - they have reciprocal arrangements with the CAA for stuff like
that.

6) What is parking like in Ontario, are the roads very busy?

Around the major cities at ruch hour, it is like anywhere else.

We park like everyone else - less on-street parking than in Europe, more
parking lots.

I'm sure I'll think of lots more questions the minute I hit the 'send'
button, but thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer - it
will be greatly appreciated!

I think you should hit Expedia, Travelocity and some Canadian tourism
sites - try Google.

Lynda

Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

LJE wrote:

Next year we are planning to take our two children (aged 15 and 10) to
Canada for 2 weeks in either late July or early to mid August. We
particularly want to visit Niagara Falls, would like a scenic train trip
and my husband and kids would love to go somewhere wild and lonely
(though I confess this last one scares me a bit!).

We live in the UK and the extent of our foreign travel so far is just
France and Spain, so we are looking for any advice we can get to help
us plan our trip. We are not that well off financially and have saved
hard to fund this holiday. A few things I can think of that I could use
advice on are as follows:-

1) What is the weather likely to offer and what are the normal
temperatures day and night in July and August?

The end of July in the Niagara area tends to be hot and humid. If you were
coming from someplace that is hotter and more humid you may find it
relatively cool. The first weeks of August tend to be fairly hot but not so
humid. The first two weeks of August are the most common vacation weeks for
many Canadians, so hotels and tourist sights tend to be busy.

2) Are there any bugs to worry about (mosquitoes, gnats things that bite
or sting)?

There are not many places around Niagara Falls where black flies are a
problem. The worst time for mosquitos is June and Early July when there is
still lots of groundwater. The insect population drops off during dry
summers but surges a day or two after a good rain. Generally, there are not
much of a problem around Niagara, except in the woods and near ponds.

3) Is tap water safe to drink?

Yes.

4) We plan to move around a bit to see as much as possible, is there any
particular type of accommodation, motels, hotels, or self-catering
places that you could reccommend to either stay in or stay away from?

We have the usual chains as well as smaller operations.

5) What is the usual cost of hotel rooms, do Canadian hotels offer
family rooms that sleep 4 people, and what facilities are regarded as
usual in rooms?

That depends on the location and the season. You might want to check on
line. The lower end places like Super Eight or Days Inn tend to be around
$100 per night for a double room, more in larger cities and popular tourist
destinations.

6) What is parking like in Ontario, are the roads very busy?

The highways around Toronto are quite congested during morning and afternoon
rush hour. The highway north from Toronto through Barrie to cottage country
is busy with commuter traffic morning and afternoons, and on Friday nights
northbound and Sunday nights southbound.

The train ride across northern Ontario is quite scenic, but be advised that
rail travel is not as popular here as it is in Europe. There is passenger
service only on the main corridors, and service is scant. It certainly is
not like Europe where you can hop on a train and travel from A to B at just
about any time of day.

One thing you can count on is that prices will be much lower here than in
the UK.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe

Please do not hesitate to ask more questions about Canada in this group, we
are out of ideas to initiate fresh new OT threads

Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Wild and lonely may be as simple as driving a few miles out of the city,
parking the car and heading out on foot.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Pat wrote:

Wild and lonely may be as simple as driving a few miles out of the city,
parking the car and heading out on foot.

???
You have been living in a crowded city for too long. Toronto is a city of
4-5 million and is surrounded on three sides by miles and miles of densely
populated urban sprawl.