My web site for Baltics and St Petersburg

Old June 18th, 2006, 09:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default My web site for Baltics and St Petersburg

Hi all,

Every now and then I pop in to mention my web site about our cruise to
the Baltics - it has photos and details which might be of use to some
of you.

I got so much help from this newsgroup t the time I like to throw a
bit back every now and then. Anyway ... it took so long to write it
someone may as well read it! 8*)

The address is http://members.optusnet.com.au/~boblorel/index.htm

Hope someone finds something of value .....

I'm currently getting ready for cruise number 2 to Egypt, Greece and
beyond !! 8*)

regards,

Bob T.
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

BOB T:
Good sailing on your egypt,greece,and beyond trip,we did that and it is
a great experience.WE did a tour of egyot,7 day cruise up the nile,and
sailed the greek isles.fantastic.
surfer e2468

cruise lover

Old June 20th, 2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi, Bob,

Your website is very nice, and you took some wonderful shots. I love how you
put together the Catherine Palace picture--very neat. Your collection brings
back many happy memories of our Baltics trip last summer.

Enjoy your trip to Egypt, Greece and beyond! Like Annie, we are big fans of
that part of the world. I don't like to repeat travels because there is so
much I haven't seen. But I sure would like to break my rule and repeat Egypt
and the Greek isles. Make sure you point us to your pix from that trip when
you return so I can at least make a virtual return.

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old June 21st, 2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Bob ,

Great job ! I've spent an hour at your site ( and I should have stopped
as I am expected to be someplace else right now !). I do have one
question:
on this page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bobl...hotographs.htm ,
where it that photo taken ?
I thought it was Geiranger, but since you were still on the ship it
can't be.

I was on the Marco Polo for ~14 days last summer from Copenhagen to
Berlin, so did a lot of the same trip. But you have MUCH better
pictures. ( Now I REALLY have to go)

Thanks,
Bobb

Old June 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

questionn this page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bobl...hotographs.htm ,
where it that photo taken ?
I thought it was Geiranger, but since you were still on the ship it
can't be.

Yup ... it is Geiranger. If you look closely you can see the tenders
from the ship moving around it. We took one of them into the port and
walked up the hill to take the photo from up higher. The ship was
moored in the middle because it can't tie up at the pier.

I was on the Marco Polo for ~14 days last summer from Copenhagen to
Berlin, so did a lot of the same trip. But you have MUCH better
pictures. ( Now I REALLY have to go)

I'm a bit of a photo freak (some would leave "photo" out of that
sentence.) This was my first digital trip so I took lots of pictures -
the more you take the better your chances of getting good ones!

My main incentive for travel is to take the photos, and my wife's main
purpose is to absorb the facts - so together we come home with the
whole lot.

Glad you enjoyed the web site.

Bob T.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:

Great job ! I've spent an hour at your site ( and I should have
stopped
as I am expected to be someplace else right now !). I do have one
questionn this page:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bobl...hotographs.htm ,
where it that photo taken ?
I thought it was Geiranger, but since you were still on the ship it
can't be.

Yup ... it is Geiranger. If you look closely you can see the tenders
from the ship moving around it. We took one of them into the port and
walked up the hill to take the photo from up higher. The ship was
moored in the middle because it can't tie up at the pier.

Glad you enjoyed the web site.

Bob T.

OK thanks. I read on the Cities page that you didn't get off the ship in
Geiranger, so thought it was another stop. I didn't want to get back on
the tenders - a lot of us would have liked to spend more time there. One
thing I discovered while asho there are only 200 residents in the
town and they support ... all of those visiting ships - I found that
amazing !
Bobb

Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:16:55 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

OK thanks. I read on the Cities page that you didn't get off the ship in
Geiranger, so thought it was another stop.

That's probably a slight ambiguity on that page because the headings
are adjacent to some writing which doesn't relate to the heading. The
writing says

"Hellesylt in Norway is not shown, although it appears on the list of
ports for this cruise. The reason for this is that it is a point of
disembarkation for those taking an excursion via bus on shore. We did
not take this tour but remained onboard, picking up the bus crowd at
Geiranger"

When the boat stops at Geiranger those who didn't take the bus tour
just get off and wander around.

One thing I discovered while asho there are only 200 residents in the
town and they support ... all of those visiting ships - I found that
amazing !

I always find it interesting when you turn up at any of these little
places - the fact that to us it's something novel and quaint and
picturesque - but to someone else it's there home and livelihood. As I
type this, someone is waiting patiently for the next boat to come, to
see the next boatload of wide-eyed tourists.

It's a bit like here ...I collect our grandkids from the kindergarten
and often there are these wide-eyed pommie tourists gawking at the
street next door to the kindergarten. Its the "Ramsey Street" location
for the TV show of the same name which is made here and a big hit in
the UK. I've never watched the show myself.

Bob T.