Libya

Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:23 PM
Mark Sukhija

Default Libya

I wonder if anyone here has been to Libya. It has been a closed country for
many years now and remains a bit of a mystery to me from a travel point of view.

Do any of you lot have pointers/information they could furnish me with? We will
most likely be travelling to Tripoli, Leptus Magna, Misrata, Benghazi and
Tobruk. The trip is for March/April period and will involve a small amout of
desert travel, close to the Egyptian border.
---

Mark Sukhija

Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
Marc Lurie

I was in Libya a few years ago, and had a good time there. It was only
a business trip, and I was mostly in Tripoli, and in the desert.

Don't try to take alcohol of pork products into Libya.

When I went, I had to get a visa in Malta, which has to be translated
into Arabic by an official translator.

Make sure that the passport you travel with has no mention of Israel.

I felt really comfortable in Tripoli, and spend many hours walking
through the city. People were not very open (probably because of the
language barrier), but were always polite, and friendly.

Marc.