Odd meal timing (CX JFK-HKG flight)

Old August 4th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Martin WY

Default Odd meal timing (CX JFK-HKG flight)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:25:30 -0400, nobody wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
Breakfast! Given that there are 2 other meals served prior to it, I
wonder if it is due to cost and/or galley space.

Were all 3 meals HOT ? If so, it wouldn't really make much of a difference in
terms of space.

And if the last meal was cold, they could have served a cold snack instead of
cold breakfast.

The obvious answer is that at 8pm in new york, it is 8am in HKG, so pax would
still have their body clock on HKG time and expect a breakfast.

On the other hand, it could have something to do with duration of flight and
health requirements. (airlines must serve food within a fixed number of hours
after they have been thawed/prepared). I'd have to reread a long bible on the
subject. Wonder if these regulations have been updated for ultra long flights
like the SG nyc-sin 18 hour flight.

Could be that they would really want to serve a light cold snack at end of
flight, but the flight was too long to allow that, so the next best thing was
to serve a breakfast which would have been loaded still frozen and thawed
during flight such that it was still legal to serve.

Did you think of asking the crew why they served breakfast ?

I am awfully glad you posted that , as I did not think many on here
nowadays would comprehend what I am about to say.
In the days of old (BOAC) agents got a Manual, this was updated many
times per week with all that is required to be known about service and
requirements of the company apropos its passengers. One advice we
had to give to passengers in the 50s and 60s was.... A meal or
refreshments will be served approximately 5hrs apart, allowing for
landing and take offs en route. So If you checked in at 0700hrs for
a 0900hrs departure, Breakfast would be served. Morning coffee is a
refreshment and often available most times of the flight. Luncheon
would then be served between 1300 and 1400hs, (departure time from
LHR plus) afternoon tea would be served inbetween and dinner would be
served 1900hrs to 2000hrs - not - the time on the ground of the
previous or next stop, the time on board. That is what the advice in
the manual was , so many times if you changed at Singapore, you
would have had a BOAC meal according to the above, but if you departed
Singapore at 0900hrs as the connection, then you would have *their*
breakfast, and as said before anyone goes berserk, that was those
days and the advice we were told to give passengers, not todays regime
of as little as possible and confuse people.