Don't transit in Mumbai

Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

Default Don't transit in Mumbai

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

Perhaps one should avoid India altogether. The three cities above are New
Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.

Everyone should visit India.

It changes your view of the world.

So does lung cancer.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
.fi...

These are local names. Bombay, Calcutta och so vidare are *******ized
names to make the English looters feel comfortable.

I have news.

Before the British turned up Bombay wasn't there. It was a group of
malarial islands inhabited by a few fishermen.

The name is probably derived from the Portuguese for 'good harbour', which
is all it was before the British turned up...

You remind me of a local Bombay nationalist group who called themselves 'The
Sons of the Sacred Soil', until someone pointed out that their 'sacred
soil' was put there by the British...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message

Once outside, since I couldn't find the shuttle bus, I looked for a
taxi. There weren't any, only "creative" people offering rides at
inflated prices. Which is a bit unbelievable, for a major airport as
Mumbai. No taxis waiting for customers outside - how do people get to
their final destination.

At the international airport you'll find you walk past stalls inside the
airport offering you the opportunity to hire a cab into the city at a fixed
agreed price.

If you wander outside past the rows of people waiting for arriving people
who've booked a car and across the car park you'll find the cab rank.

You'll also find warnings against taking a 'hailed' cab at Bombay
International on the UK Foreign Office web site...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
.fi...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

Perhaps one should avoid India altogether. The three cities above are
New Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.

Everyone should visit India.

It changes your view of the world.

So does lung cancer.

If that's your opinion then I hope you experience that as well, as soon as
possible...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"William Black" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
.fi...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

Perhaps one should avoid India altogether. The three cities above are
New Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.

Everyone should visit India.

It changes your view of the world.

So does lung cancer.

If that's your opinion then I hope you experience that as well, as soon
as possible...

Aside from that he doesn't realise that New Delhi is just a part of Delhi.
Maybe he doesn't get out of Helsingfors often ...

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:11:37 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
m...

Once outside, since I couldn't find the shuttle bus, I looked for a
taxi. There weren't any, only "creative" people offering rides at
inflated prices. Which is a bit unbelievable, for a major airport as
Mumbai. No taxis waiting for customers outside - how do people get to
their final destination.

At the international airport you'll find you walk past stalls inside the
airport offering you the opportunity to hire a cab into the city at a fixed
agreed price.

If you wander outside past the rows of people waiting for arriving people
who've booked a car and across the car park you'll find the cab rank.

You'll also find warnings against taking a 'hailed' cab at Bombay
International on the UK Foreign Office web site...

I had read similar good advice on www.indiamike.com which is
one of the many reasons I booked a driver to meet me.

I was still quite surprised at the crowd of drivers waiting,
and thus the difficulty I had finding my own name among the
forest of signs being held up.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
om...

[...]

The first trip to India is always the hardest - it's so damn confusing and a
near-epileptic flashing of people and colours. Also, what made India
slightly - and only slightly - less daunting is I'd already been briefly to
Sri Lanka (sorry, Ceylon). It's sort of India Lite, loosely speaking, as is
Nepal.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:50:20 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

As usual, no one cares about your drivel. George was just trying to
help morons like you out and you dump on him. Go get a life for a
change.

Thanks John, but I've long ago killfiled the Finn. Poor Kukku doesn't
realize that nobody spells the names the way his GPS does. He'll have a
heart attack when he sees the Royal Bombay Yacht Club ... let alone Peking
University.

Most probably. He goes beyond irritating, like when he universally
calls the moderator of the China list every time he posts about it so
people know about it. It's actually a fine list with a lot of good
info on China and insights into it for anyone interested. I subscribe
myself.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:04:42 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
m...
In article , grusl says...

I think Dopey was criticising my spelling of Indian cities! It clashes
with
his GPS.

Aren't the official names Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai etc.? What names do
the locals use in India?

Chennai has some popularity, but the old names are more often used for the
other cities. Renaming is based on communal rivalries and professional
political activism.

Bangalore is supposedly Bengaluru - the Kannada name - but less than 30% of
the population is Kannadiga as they are being displaced by more skilled and
more literate migrants from elsewhere in India. naturally they want to
reassert themselves.

Mumbai is allegedly a Marathi name. If you listen to natives pronounce the
name it is somewhere between Bombay and Mumbai; no one can agree. Kolkata, I
believe, is based on vowel transcription and thus has some legitimacy.

You will hear lots of nonsense from proffessional agitators about old
temples and anicent scripture but it's all usually made-up "history" similar
to what you hear from Aryan revisionists or British Israelites.

I don't doubt if the nationalists have their way, Hong Kong will soon become
Xianggang in everyday usage.

And remain Hong Kong to everyone, just like Ho Chi Minh City remains
Saigon. Politics or not.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:19:15 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
ws.com...
In article , grusl says...

I think Dopey was criticising my spelling of Indian cities! It clashes
with
his GPS.

Aren't the official names Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai etc.? What names do
the locals use in India?
--

These are local names. Bombay, Calcutta och so vidare are *******ized names
to make the English looters feel comfortable.

So now Markku the Moron can even complete an English sentence and
drivels into Swedish. Probably so the Swedish looters feel
comfortable.