Airlines flying to India?

Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
Ajanta

Default Airlines flying to India?

QPX wrote:

"Ethnic" travel agents deal mostly in one or two cheap airlines because
consolidating requires large volume sales...If you want research and you
want to be picky, you'll have to do it yourself or pay a full service
agent a significant fee to do it.

This explains why one agency deals with only or two airlines. However,
it does not explain why they all deal with the same airlines! In case
of India, I accept that all agents will quote Air India, because a
large number of passengers are comfortable with it due to food or
language or better connections back home.

However, it is surprising why everybody has seemingly settled on Kuwait
as the other carrier. I'd have thought that while some agents have
better relations with Kuwait, others may have with Jordanian or Turkish
or Alitalia. For some reason, that is not the case right now.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
Iceman

Ajanta wrote in message ...
Calling around Indian travel agents for a Chicago-Delhi flight I
notice that everyone is offering Kuwait Airways or Air India. I mean,
ou almost have to rudely pressurize them even to get a quote on a
European carrier, let alone another Asian one.

(For example by calling a Turkish agent I found a competitive quote on
Turkish, but Indian agents had not suggested it as a possibility.)

This seems different from my memories of a few years ago. People
routinely quoted at least the European majors and occasionally
Singapore.

Has anyone researched this? Are there unheralded good deals available
on the likes of Alitalia, SAS, Swiss, Thai, Malaysian, Garuda, Lanka,
etc? Do I have to seek out and call each one's consolidators
separately?

If you can get to Bangkok cheaply and don't mind a stopover, you
should be able to pick up a cheap RT to Delhi from there.