Inoculations, for BKK yes or no?

Old October 1st, 2003, 08:30 PM
Gary Fritz

Default Inoculations, for BKK yes or no?

(USC) wrote:
I don't think you need anything for Bangkok; I am taking shots for
Japanese Encephalitus because I will be going up to Chiang Mai, Chiang
Rai and up along the Mekong River, and also got a booster for Typhoid

How necessary are shots for JE? We will be going (with kids, 6 & 8) to
Chiang Mai/Rai, but it will be in January so I didn't think JE was
necessary.

Didn't realize Typhoid was necessary. The CDC
(
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/typhoid.htm) says it's only 50-80%
effective anyway. What is the real risk, considering we may be doing
homestays?

The CDC warns against swimming (or ANY contact with fresh water) to avoid
Schistosomiasis. Is this really a risk in northern Thailand? That would
seem to advise against bamboo raft trips & any other water contact, which
seems impractical.

Gary
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:58 PM
suebo

Gary, we lived in Bangkok and other parts of Asia and I never had
the shots. We did the jungle trek in Chiang Mai and did the bamboo
rafts and elephant trekking and we were not effected by anything
other than leaches. There were 6 of us and hubby was the only one
that had the shots.

--
suebo

Old October 1st, 2003, 10:57 PM
Mort

On 01 Oct 2003 19:30:36 GMT, Gary Fritz wrote:

(USC) wrote:
I don't think you need anything for Bangkok; I am taking shots for
Japanese Encephalitus because I will be going up to Chiang Mai, Chiang
Rai and up along the Mekong River, and also got a booster for Typhoid

How necessary are shots for JE? We will be going (with kids, 6 & 8) to
Chiang Mai/Rai, but it will be in January so I didn't think JE was
necessary.

Only if you plan to stay for several weeks in rural area (with pigs).
Didn't realize Typhoid was necessary. The CDC
(http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/typhoid.htm) says it's only 50-80%
effective anyway. What is the real risk, considering we may be doing
homestays?

Certainly very low.
Typhoid comes through contaminated food or polluted water.

The CDC warns against swimming (or ANY contact with fresh water) to avoid
Schistosomiasis. Is this really a risk in northern Thailand? That would
seem to advise against bamboo raft trips & any other water contact, which
seems impractical.

Gary

Better to ask a doctor IMO.

Regards,