Mariner of The Seas vs. Ocean Liners of The Past

Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:03 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Ref, I go back to 1969. I recall there being The Italian Line, Home Line,
and Holland America. To the best of my knowledge none of them were publicly
traded companies so perhaps there was no onus to turn a profit for the
stockholders.

That doesn't say that there were not money making things going on, only back
then the profits went to the purser. The purser owned the bingo game, all
of the liquor on the ship, and even the deck chairs. On The Italian Line
you reserved your deck chair for $1.00 a day.

But cruising was different then. People expected to dress on formal nights,
and they stayed dressed for the evening.

Sometimes I long for the "good old days" and other times I am thankful for
the conveniences that modern cruising offer.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"RTCReferee" wrote in message
*bicker* wrote:

One of the things to keep in mind, when considering the
answers to your question, is that many cruise lines aren't
interested in providing an experience reminiscent of the
past. For example, there were no rock walls, rollerblade
tracks, or ice rinks on cruise ships of the past.

Our first cruise was in 1984. There was a jogging track on the top deck

and a
large, separate volleyball court with scheduled games. We didn't care

then (or
now) about jogging, but volleyball was definitely on our agenda.

I'm curious, when you speak of "the past," with regards to cruising, how

far
back do you look?

Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:16 AM
Benjamin Smith

Dick Goldhaber wrote:

Ref, I go back to 1969. I recall there being The Italian Line, Home Line,
and Holland America. To the best of my knowledge none of them were publicly
traded companies so perhaps there was no onus to turn a profit for the
stockholders.

That doesn't say that there were not money making things going on, only back
then the profits went to the purser. The purser owned the bingo game, all
of the liquor on the ship, and even the deck chairs. On The Italian Line
you reserved your deck chair for $1.00 a day.

But cruising was different then. People expected to dress on formal nights,
and they stayed dressed for the evening.

Not only cruising. I went out to some midtown Manhattan's clubs on a few
nights last week. Over 50 percent of people I observed, I'd say, were in
jeans. So many people are wearing jeans. Go to the mall, go anywhere,
jeans are everywhere, across many generations.

I'm for dressing to match personality, mood, ambiance, space, etc. So, I
think the jeans everywhere and casual popularity isn't as interesting as
people dressing to their various aspects of their personalities and
presenting them in social situations. I don't particularly like jeans (I
still call them dungarees) and it is interesting that when people have
many choices they'll gravitate to the same type of product.

Dressing the same in different situations is reflected in today's time
in many social situations and establishments. Cruising is just part of it.

Sometimes I long for the "good old days" and other times I am thankful for
the conveniences that modern cruising offer.
--

Sometimes it takes hindsight to realize the value in something. 15 years
from now many will long for something that exists now that many may not

Ben S.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:36 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Ben,

Then there ought to be a cruise line that not only has freestyle dining,
they ought to also offer freestyle dressing.

For the moment I love everything about HAL, including the people who cruise
and conform.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Buddy Romaine

You write so well. You should do a scientific study on it!

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:13:25 -0500, *bicker*
wrote:

One of the things to keep in mind, when considering the
answers to your question, is that many cruise lines aren't
interested in providing an experience reminiscent of the
past. For example, there were no rock walls, rollerblade
tracks, or ice rinks on cruise ships of the past. The
result of this dichotomy is that objective, qualitative
comparisons (i.e., whether something "surpasses" something
else) are impossible, since such judgements depend on
whether the reviewer is beholden to the past, hold antipathy
towards the past, or is indifferent... and none of the three
perspectives are actually "wrong" -- they're just different.

So consider responses from that standpoint. Objective
information is clear. Mariner of the Seas is the second
largest cruise ship ever built, to date, and a couple of old
ocean liners of the past could fit inside it. None of the
ocean liners of the past had 12 storey atriums. By the same
token, Mariner of the Seas doesn't really have different
classes of accommodation -- at least not to the extent that
was the case in the past. Different sized cabins, yes, but
everyone gets the same food, the same entertainment, etc.

Both subjects, ocean liners of the past and modern cruising,
are interesting topics. Comparing the two is significantly
less interesting.

Carnival Tropicale 1982
NCL Dawn 2004
HAL Noordam 2004
Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:52:50 -0600, Lee La wrote:

Oh come on now, the new way of crusing with all the extra charges for
this and that is awesome. I love being on vacation and having to keep
my wallet open. Gives you that warm feeling inside of being screwed
all the time.

Oh, what have we here.

A moron.

plonk

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:44 PM
*bicker*

A Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:09:20 GMT, Benjamin Smith
escribió:
I find something wrong with an overemphasis on money making.
I think life is about balance

Haven't we had this discussion before? grin

You are correct about life being about balance: Corporations
are for the money-making. Other institutions, entities and
aspects of life exist for the other things.

I find that designing for a steered majority often leads to mediocrity

Only with respect to an arbitrary, subjective standard, of
course.

--
bicker®