good hotel in Nice France for a 1-night stay?

Old April 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Steve G

Default good hotel in Nice France for a 1-night stay?

We'll be flying into Nice in November, and the next day forging on to
Aix-en-Provence for a conference. So we need picks/pans for a hotel for
one night in Nice. If it's walking distance to the Mediteranean, so
much the better. Thanks as always.

Old April 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
jcoulter

"Steve G" wrote in news:1113331910.168445.64720
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

We'll be flying into Nice in November, and the next day forging on to
Aix-en-Provence for a conference. So we need picks/pans for a hotel for
one night in Nice. If it's walking distance to the Mediteranean, so
much the better. Thanks as always.

For a three star I might go with the Hotel Gounod, it's owner used to post
here regularly and was very knowledgable. I have clients staying in June at
the big sister hotel, the Splendid.

(Then again you might want to go to Cannes, it is in the direction that you
travel and offers about the same services as Nice with a little less
congestion.)
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Howard N. Lute

Too bad it's in Aix...Avignon is far "better" and far less industrial.
Be sure to go, it's very close...and don't miss Orange either,
spectacular Roman Arena and a lovely shopping district.
Friend,
Howard Lute

On 12 Apr 2005 11:51:50 -0700, "Steve G"
wrote:

We'll be flying into Nice in November, and the next day forging on to
Aix-en-Provence for a conference. So we need picks/pans for a hotel for
one night in Nice. If it's walking distance to the Mediteranean, so
much the better. Thanks as always.

Retired Teacher, Terrible Mechanic, Worse Plumber!
LPFM Page: http://home.att.net/~optcamel/fmradio.htm
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

jcoulter wrote:

"Steve G" wrote in news:1113331910.168445.64720
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

We'll be flying into Nice in November, and the next day forging on to
Aix-en-Provence for a conference. So we need picks/pans for a hotel for
one night in Nice. If it's walking distance to the Mediteranean, so
much the better. Thanks as always.

For a three star I might go with the Hotel Gounod, it's owner used to post
here regularly and was very knowledgable. I have clients staying in June at
the big sister hotel, the Splendid.

We stayed at the Splendid, and it was very nice indeed. As it was off
season we got excellent rates (something like 600 FF per _room_ per
night) but that was 5 years ago, and in November.

It's not by the sea, but not too far away from it either.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net

Old April 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Mimi

"Howard N. Lute" wrote in message
news
Too bad it's in Aix...Avignon is far "better" and far less industrial.

Aix industrial! All my illusions are shattered. Has anyone told M. F. K.
Fisher?

Marianne

Old April 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Mark Fagan

We stayed in the Boscolo Park Hotel, which is not ON the sea but seperated
by a small park. A 1 minute walk to the Promenade des Anglais. The rooms
are fairly large and comfortable, but some of them are less attractive than
others and there is a problem with the hall floors, they roll and dip like a
roller coaster! But the price isn't bad for a room of this quality and the
location is very good, an easy walk to the old city.

ups.com...

Old April 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Jordi

Steve G wrote:
We'll be flying into Nice in November, and the next day forging on to
Aix-en-Provence for a conference. So we need picks/pans for a hotel

for
one night in Nice. If it's walking distance to the Mediteranean, so
much the better. Thanks as always.

If it's only for one night, you might want to try the Ibis on the
centre, it's right next to the rail station.

J.

Old April 13th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Too bad it's in Aix...Avignon is far "better" and far less industrial.
Aix industrial! All my illusions are shattered.

I think the industry is somewhere other than where anyone will see it if
they choose to visit Aix. I like Aix better than Avignon because that main
drag from the train station to the papal palace is a busy, noisy mess, and
that is the heart of the place. Aix is more quiet, beautiful in its ochres
and greens, and made for enchanted wandering.