seek SFO parking

Old August 12th, 2009, 05:36 AM posted to ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default ParkRideFly SFO

wrote in message
On Aug 11, 5:07 pm, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:
[chuckle] So exactly why is it that you are asking these very specific
questions to us here rather than to the folks who run that AVR lot? Are
you
under the impression that we work at or own that facility such that we
have
your required information at our very fingertips? What exactly is your
rationale for asking us rather than those folks, who know better than we
do
the answers to your questions?

Hey, he is going to park for three days! Think of all the money he
can save!
**********

Sorry about that empty posting. Hit the send icon too quickly. I was going
to say....

So noted. And add to what you've said the fact that he neither has to pay a
travel agent nor get off his lazy behind if someone here feeds him the
answers he seeks.

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM posted to ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Default BART/SFO seek SFO parking

Timothy J. Lee wrote:

The time I did take BART to SFO, I just walked to the domestic terminal
instead of looking for the AirTrain. Maximum possible distance to walk
to the gate of an airplane appears to be only 0.6 of a mile, although
that is the unused old international terminal (maximum distance to a gate
that is actually used appears to be slightly less, about 0.5 of a mile).

Reminds me of the ranger in Yellowstone that told me that the Old
Faithful Inn was only built after the park service relaxed the rule for
how far a building had to be from a geyser. It was felt that 1000' was
too far away and that few guests would be willing to walk that far to
see Old Faithful.

I walk that too (or I did when I used to do the CalTrain/BART thing to
SFO). It's gotten too expensive and time-consuming to use public
transport to SFO from the south Bay, versus parking at SMA for $7 a day.
For longer trips we part at a relatives house in in Millbrae or San
Bruno and get a ride from them.

I think that a lot of SFO users aren't even aware that you can walk from
the international terminal to the domestic terminals.
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM posted to ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

On Aug 12, 10:46*am, SMS wrote:
Timothy J. Lee wrote:
The time I did take BART to SFO, I just walked to the domestic terminal
instead of looking for the AirTrain. *Maximum possible distance to walk
to the gate of an airplane appears to be only 0.6 of a mile, although
that is the unused old international terminal (maximum distance to a gate
that is actually used appears to be slightly less, about 0.5 of a mile)..

Reminds me of the ranger in Yellowstone that told me that the Old
Faithful Inn was only built after the park service relaxed the rule for
how far a building had to be from a geyser. It was felt that 1000' was
too far away and that few guests would be willing to walk that far to
see Old Faithful.

Personally I think the Old Faithful Lodge is as wonderful a building
as the Old Faithful Inn. The view of Old Faithful from the cafeteria
is excellent - it's just as close.

I guess part of the problem is that geothermal areas can be
unpredictable. There are some backcountry geyser basins, and there
are rules that one must stay on the trail in those places; cross
country travel is otherwise legal in other areas of the park. I've
heard of some people who went off trail only to break through a thin
crust and got scalded by hot water. When I visited there was a small
cordoned off area around OF in the lawn with an orange cone. The
rangers were telling us that apparently a steam vent opened up in the
lawn area. The original concern with the Old Faithful Inn location
must have been that the ground might have been unstable and/or newly
developed underground plumbing could form under the building.

I walk that too (or I did when I used to do the CalTrain/BART thing to
SFO). It's gotten too expensive and time-consuming to use public
transport to SFO from the south Bay, versus parking at SMA for $7 a day.
For longer trips we part at a relatives house in in Millbrae or San
Bruno and get a ride from them.

I think that a lot of SFO users aren't even aware that you can walk from
the international terminal to the domestic terminals.

Ideally the BART terminal would have been built closer to the
domestic terminals. However - the location of the BART station was
specific to the new international terminal. They would have has some
serious problems finding a place to put it (and route the tracks) if
they tried to put it closer to the domestic terminals. With the new
plans they were able to put the BART station in even though it would
primarily serve airport workers and domestic travelers with less
luggage.

I remember walking from the inter-island terminal at Honolulu airport
to the main terminal. It was a bit of a walk, but otherwise we would
have been waiting a while for the free shuttle.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM posted to ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

y_p_w wrote:

I guess part of the problem is that geothermal areas can be
unpredictable. There are some backcountry geyser basins, and there
are rules that one must stay on the trail in those places; cross
country travel is otherwise legal in other areas of the park. I've
heard of some people who went off trail only to break through a thin
crust and got scalded by hot water. When I visited there was a small
cordoned off area around OF in the lawn with an orange cone. The
rangers were telling us that apparently a steam vent opened up in the
lawn area. The original concern with the Old Faithful Inn location
must have been that the ground might have been unstable and/or newly
developed underground plumbing could form under the building.

Well since Old Faithful died out and the plumbed it and installed steam
boilers, they must not worry about this anymore.

"http://tinyurl.com/oldfaithfulplumbing"

I remember walking from the inter-island terminal at Honolulu airport
to the main terminal. It was a bit of a walk, but otherwise we would
have been waiting a while for the free shuttle.

The walk from the train station to the old Seoul airport (Gimpo) must
have been 3/4 mile. I remember it taking me 15 minutes at a brisk pace.
It was all covered or underground.
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM posted to ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
ACM

wrote:
[chuckle] So exactly why is it that you are asking these very specific
questions to us here rather than to the folks who run that AVR lot? Are
you
under the impression that we work at or own that facility such that we
have
your required information at our very fingertips? What exactly is your
rationale for asking us rather than those folks, who know better than we
do
the answers to your questions?

Hey, he is going to park for three days! Think of all the money he
can save!

we have 6 cars from different parts of South SJ, Gilroy & Morgan Hill.

Old August 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM posted to ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
Kenneth M. Lin

Default seek SFO parking

"PeterL" wrote in message
On Aug 9, 10:20 am, "AMC" wrote:
I need to park my car at SFO Aug 29 for 3 days.
Can you please tell me any low cost San Francisco Airport parking there?
Thank you.

The parking lot at the Millbrae BART station has long term parking. I
think it's $1 a day. You need to reserve it. Another option is to
stay one night at an airport area hotel. Some will let you park for 7
days free with a one night stay.

I'd never leave my car at a BART station overnight. My car has been broken
into twice during the day at Del Norte station.

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM posted to ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

ACM wrote:

Have anyone use this AVR lot before? Do I really need the paid reservation?
I assume this is open air lot? Is this lot fenced and secured?
How often is the shuttle from SFO? Thank you.

The best deal is here
"http://www.metroactive.com/coupons/coupons/SMAAIRPORT.html"

Fenced lot, shuttle pick-up is very fast. No reservations needed.