Viareggio- beaches

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Viareggio- beaches

We're staying in Lucca for 4 days in a couple of weeks (July 20-24) and
planned a trip to a beach one day. Viareggio seems the obvious option,
as we're taking public transport. I imagine it might be mobbed, but I
had a practical question. Google earth would indicate there are miles
and miles of parasols and sun loungers there. That's great- we'd want to
hire them- but on a recent trip to Sardinia we found that their hire was
often limited to hotel guests. Is this likely to be the case at
Viareggio?

Vacuous as it sounds, all I want to do that day is lie on a sun lounger
under a parasol... listening to Bartok string quartets!

Additionally, any better beach suggestions- public transport again being
important (though we often take long walks to beaches etc., and don't
mind. Cycling also an option.)

Thanks in advance.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mister B

On Jul 8, 9:17*am, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:
We're staying in Lucca for 4 days in a couple of weeks (July 20-24) and
planned a trip to a beach one day. Viareggio seems the obvious option,
as we're taking public transport. I imagine it might be mobbed, but I
had a practical question. Google earth would indicate there are miles
and miles of parasols and sun loungers there. That's great- we'd want to
hire them- but on a recent trip to Sardinia we found that their hire was
often limited to hotel guests. Is this likely to be the case at
Viareggio?

Vacuous as it sounds, all I want to do that day is lie on a sun lounger
under a parasol... listening to Bartok string quartets!

Additionally, any better beach suggestions- public transport again being
important (though we often take long walks to beaches etc., and don't
mind. Cycling also an option.)

Thanks in advance.

You can take the train north along the coast and hob-nob with the
Americans clutching Rick Steve guides in Cinque Terra ??

Sorry - not an answer to your question (as usual).

B;
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

(*)) wrote:
[...]

I'll happily take a short train ride north if I can rent a parasol!
It's just that Viareggio is a short 15-minute hop from Lucca so makes he
most sense.

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) ha scritto:

That's great- we'd want to
hire them- but on a recent trip to Sardinia we found that their hire was
often limited to hotel guests. Is this likely to be the case at
Viareggio?

No. I'm sure you will find public beaches with rentig of parasols and
sunbeds for everyone.
Viareggio has it's own people (is a quite big city): they go to the
beach too and obviously they are not hotel guests...
You will find many and many 'Stabilimenti Balneari' with bar,
restaurants, parasols and sunbeds for everyone.

Additionally, any better beach suggestions- public transport again being
important (though we often take long walks to beaches etc., and don't
mind. Cycling also an option.)

You can try to go norther: maybe 'Forte dei Marmi' and nearby locations
are very good...

Ciao, Piero.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
sergio

On 8 Lug, 09:17, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:
We're staying in Lucca for 4 days in a couple of weeks (July 20-24) and
planned a trip to a beach one day. Viareggio seems the obvious option,
as we're taking public transport.

Cetainly the closest to Lucca.

Not much farther by train (if trains are going to be in regular
operation) you will find Lido di Camaiore, Forte dei Marmi, CInquale
and several other spots.
Else, take the train to Pisa and proceed (by coach) to Tirrenia, just
north of Livorno.

If you are to have bikes at hand, you might like to ask further
questions.
Am an avid biker, myself.

Sergio
Pisa

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

(*)) wrote:
We're staying in Lucca for 4 days in a couple of weeks (July 20-24) and
planned a trip to a beach one day. Viareggio seems the obvious option,
as we're taking public transport.

Cetainly the closest to Lucca.

Not much farther by train (if trains are going to be in regular
operation) you will find Lido di Camaiore, Forte dei Marmi, CInquale
and several other spots.
Else, take the train to Pisa and proceed (by coach) to Tirrenia, just
north of Livorno.

If you are to have bikes at hand, you might like to ask further
questions.
Am an avid biker, myself.

Sergio
Pisa

Thanks for the reply, and to Piero too. We enjoy biking (but more
leisurely than hard-core or long distance), and are thinking of hiring
bikes- seemed to be some enjoyable rides in the area. Does that open up
some interesting beach possibilities? As I like the beach, but not too
much direct sun, it limits my options somewhat for more secluded
beaches, unless there is parasol hire! (That said, I remember a beach in
Crete that could only be reached after an hour's walk over the hills,
and there was a chap renting them!)

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
sergio

On 8 Lug, 21:42, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:
. We enjoy biking (but more
leisurely than hard-core or long distance), and are thinking of hiring
bikes- seemed to be some enjoyable rides in the area. Does that open up
some interesting beach possibilities?

I would say no.
All the beaches that have been mentioned, and so also others nearby,
are best reached by motorised transport. In this regard you could also
move around by coach.

The area around Lucca offers si many varied iitiniraries where to
bike, for all and for any taste.
Also, it is easy to rent bikes, mainly of modest quality; but also
good racing machines can be found.

Sergio
Pisa
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

(*)) wrote:
We're staying in Lucca for 4 days in a couple of weeks (July 20-24) and
planned a trip to a beach one day. Viareggio seems the obvious option,
as we're taking public transport.

Cetainly the closest to Lucca.

Not much farther by train (if trains are going to be in regular
operation) you will find Lido di Camaiore, Forte dei Marmi, CInquale
and several other spots.
Else, take the train to Pisa and proceed (by coach) to Tirrenia, just
north of Livorno.

If you are to have bikes at hand, you might like to ask further
questions.
Am an avid biker, myself.

Thanks for the reply, and to Piero too. We enjoy biking (but more
leisurely than hard-core or long distance), and are thinking of hiring
bikes- seemed to be some enjoyable rides in the area. Does that open up
some interesting beach possibilities?

There are usually bike rental places about a mile south of Viareggio
station, on the road to Torre del Lago Puccini. The area is flat so not so
many gears needed. There are plenty of tracks through the woods. For other
areas you might need something more substantial.

For parasols, from Viareggio northwards the beaches are solid with them for
at least twenty miles, available for a fee. Or you can probably buy them
anywhere that sells sandals and trashy beach stuff.

--
Bart

Old July 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

(*)) wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I think it's a bit of a toss-up, as we're only really thinking
of one day on the beach, and it wouldn't be worth buying an umbrella for
that, unless it was surprisingly cheap.

Last time we were in Italy at the beach was Sardinia, and at one of the
beaches, all of the parasols were only available to hotel guests
(different hotels)- hence my question. That said, we found one of those
beach stores you mentioned, and they hired them out...

Anyway, the useful responses (got a useful reponse on tripadvisor too)
are encouraging.

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) ha scritto:
I remember a beach in
Crete that could only be reached after an hour's walk over the hills,
and there was a chap renting them!)

The only things you will not find there (Viareggio and nearby locations)
are cheap renting :-(.
Parasol renting everywhere (difficult to find 'free' beaches, without
parasol renting), but not cheap :-(.

Ciao, Piero.