Any problems with Travel Guard since they were bought by AIG?

Old November 21st, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default Any problems with Travel Guard since they were bought by AIG?

We have previously used Travel Guard. Our travel agent now recommends
Access America. He seemed to imply that there might be some problems
with Travel Guard since the takeover. Looking at www.insuremytrip.com
and Travel Guard products seem to be running slightly less expensive
than Access America..

Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
M.Paul[_1_]

I wasn't particularly impressed with their customer service. I had an issue
with my payment because I had to cancel my credit card due to attempted
fraudulent use (not related to Travel Guard but same credit card). I called
Travel Guard to make sure my payment went thru or to repay thru an alternate
method. The first person told me not to worry because I was "probably"
covered. That wasn't very comforting. The next person that I spoke with
said that I would need to deal with the individual that was responsible for
my account. It took several calls to this individual (always to voicemail)
and about 1 week to hear back from them. I couldn't imagine how frustrating
it would be to get the same level of service if I had a claim! I probably
won't use them again. AAA and Costco also offer trip coverage.

with Travel Guard since the takeover. Looking at www.insuremytrip.com

Old November 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:13:06 -0800, "M.Paul"
wrote:

I wasn't particularly impressed with their customer service.

Hi,

I suggest you book your insurance through your travel agent and then
he can deal with these types of customer service issues.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

--

Ray,
If I were to buy my insurance through my agent would I be able to

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:50:11 GMT, Bill C wrote:

If I were to buy my insurance through my agent would I be able to
purchase any insurance plan I choose
or would i be stuck with whatever insurance my agent is selling?

Hi Bill,

I handle many various plans as do most travel agents that I know.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:50:11 GMT, Bill C wrote:

If I were to buy my insurance through my agent would I be able to
purchase any insurance plan I choose
or would i be stuck with whatever insurance my agent is selling?

Hi Bill,

I handle many various plans as do most travel agents that I know.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

Ray,
OK thanks for the quick reply.

Bill

Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bjbriggs

with Travel Guard since the takeover. Looking at www.insuremytrip.com
and Travel Guard products seem to be running slightly less expensive
than Access America..

I would never use Travelguard again! Two years ago, we were insured by
Travelguard, and in Cozumel, my husband fainted and cut up his face. We
were taken to the emergency room by ambulance, his face sewn up, and then
escorted back to the ship. When we got home, I turned in all the paper work
to Travelguard, and was told, that Medicare would probably pay for it, so
they would not. After months of haggling and proving to them that our
medicare would not pay for it outside of the United States, they did finally
send us the payment. In the meantime, I had contact with some rude people
there, and tried my best to explain to them that Medicare said it would not
be paid out of the United States. They said they needed proof. I did go to
the Travel Agent who had sold us this trip and insurance, and they were
unable to accomplish one thing, so that wasn't much help either. From then
on, I have done my own booking on line, and purchased insurance through the
cruise line. So far, this has worked great for us. I know the Travel
Agents will tell you not to buy insurance through the cruise lines, but we
do anyway, and we do read the fine print. In fact we have sailed Princess
so many times, they give us the best insurance, for the lowest price.
Anyway, have never even thought of using TravelGuard again ever! M.B.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

with Travel Guard since the takeover. Looking at www.insuremytrip.com
[...]

sorry you had so many problems with TravelGuard. It sounds like the
policy you had
was for secondary coverage.

I use Travelex Lite. They offer primary coverage. We have never needed
it yet but friends of ours went with us in August and she had an eye
problem and went to the infirmary. When we got home she called them,
they sent a form, she filled it out and got her check within 2 weeks.

Bill

Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:25:48 -0600, "bjbriggs"
wrote:

I know the Travel
Agents will tell you not to buy insurance through the cruise lines

Hi,

I don't know any travel agents that say not to buy insurance through
the cruise lines. Sometimes my clients are better off with the cruise
line insurance and sometimes they are not. I think it is best to
explore the various options. FWIW, I and other agents I know do this
for our clients.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosaly Z. Greenberger

Ray: Do you remember when I lost all that money on a cruise after 9/ll
because I took the insurance through my travel agent whereas my cousin
was able to cancel and get a 75% credit from the cruiseline at the same
time becaue she took the insurance with them.

and- that travel agent never saw me again although I had booked with her
for years and recommended many many people to her. She was not at all
cooperative.

rosaly