Transatlantic crossing on the QM2 - your experience?

Old September 23rd, 2012, 05:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Transatlantic crossing on the QM2 - your experience?

On 2012-09-18 09:57:06 -0500, Ken Blake said:

Nor I, but that can be very different in bad weather. And stability is
greater if you are in the center of the ship rather than at one of the
ends. And also, the jiggling of the ship the engine produces bothers
some people.

Well I have been on ferries before, and not suffered motion sickness.
But better safe than sorry, I have never been on a ship that large, so
I wanted to check.

If room placement helps with this, e.g. in the middle, I will try to
find one there. I also hear there are "obstructions", e.g. lifeboats
or whatever but the Cunard people don't have maps on their website.
I'll have to call them to work this out when the time gets close.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 2012-09-18 09:57:06 -0500, Ken Blake said:

And regarding Dan's question about the meal system, yes it's included
in the price, but some ships have more deluxe choices available for a
additional price. And on some cruise lines, alcoholic beverages (at
least wine) with meals *are* included.

I've heard elsewhere that you're nominally "assigned" to a table in the
restaurant with other travellers.

The last ship we were on also had the option of non-assigned dining, but
warned that there could be waiting times for tables.
There were also cafeteria-type options. I haven't (yet) been on the QM,
though.

And it looks like there is a degree of "take out" or other means to pick
stuff up to bring back to the room. The balcony rooms look like great
places to take a meal, outside, with the water going by. There are two
balcony types on the QM2, but I cannot find good videos online showing
them. There is one apparently "enclosed"; another without a roof - just
a barrister. Has anyone out there been in either and could comment?
How cold is it out there?

Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 23:19:00 -0500, Dan Stephenson

On 2012-09-18 09:57:06 -0500, Ken Blake said:

And regarding Dan's question about the meal system, yes it's included
in the price, but some ships have more deluxe choices available for a
additional price. And on some cruise lines, alcoholic beverages (at
least wine) with meals *are* included.

I've heard elsewhere that you're nominally "assigned" to a table in the
restaurant with other travellers.

Depends. On some cruise lines (Holland America, for example) you have
the choice of sitting at such an assigned table (at a predetermined
meal time) or just coming into the dining room whenever you want, and
being seated with whoever.

My wife and I have cruised with Holland America several times, and
always have taken the non-assigned choice.

--
Ken Blake