Bangkok Shopping & Forex

Old October 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

Default Bangkok Shopping & Forex

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:51:01 +0530, "Brian" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message

Also, I am carrying US dollars to the country. Do I need to exchange as
soon
as I get there - or can I exchange as I need money? Where can I get good
exchange
rates?
Or do shops/cabs etc take USD?
What is the current rate of exchange?

My ATM card has heavy surcharges & it's too late to get a new one. Can
someone
answer my questions above in the light of that info - i'll be carrying
dollar bills & dollar
TCs.

I wonder why so many Americans expect to be able to use their own
currency when they visit overseas countries.

I do remember a restaurant in Hanoi that would keep separate drawers of US
dollars, euros and yen as a *service* to customers, who would still grumble
at the exchange rate, which the owner grabbed off the midrate of that day's
Wall Street Journal. Not really such a bad deal.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 18th, 2008, 03:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Brian[_6_]

Hi.
What is the best place in Bangkok to shop for these things
1) Casual Clothes
2) Shoes (joggers, sports shoes)
3) cheap cell phone accessories

How much of a bargaining would be involved in any of these?

Old October 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Oct 17, 7:02*pm, "Brian" wrote:
Hi.
* * What is the best place in Bangkok to shop for these things
1) Casual Clothes
2) Shoes (joggers, sports shoes)
3) cheap cell phone accessories

How much of a bargaining would be involved in any of these?

Also, I am carrying US dollars to the country. Do I need to exchange as soon
as I get there - or can I exchange as I need money? Where can I get good
exchange
rates?
Or do shops/cabs etc take USD?
What is the current rate of exchange?

Use a bank ATM card to get Thai Baht. Easiest, cheapest way. Get an
ATM card that don't charge you for using other bank ATM's.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Viviane

For all your shopping needs, sounds like the street markets or Chatuchak
markets will be the best spot for you. Lots of choice and fun - if you like
crowds! The markets are fair game for bargaining but do it with a good
spirit. Assuming you are from a western country, the stuff is already cheap
by our standards anyway. By all means bargain, but remember that the stall
holders are there to make a living.

Some of the big shopping centres like MBK are good for mobile phone
accessories. There are floors of tiny shops selling just about everything
you could ever need for a phone, as well as things you will never need!
Some of the shopping centres also sell cheapish jewellery.

I agree with the other poster about using ATMs. Far more convenient that
cash or travellers cheques. ATMs are everywhere in Bangkok.

Old October 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

For instance at Sampeng Lane I saw Rolex watches on sale for a few hundred
or thousand bahts per unit.

"Viviane" kirjoitti

Old October 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Brian" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message

Also, I am carrying US dollars to the country. Do I need to exchange as
soon
as I get there - or can I exchange as I need money? Where can I get good
exchange
rates?
Or do shops/cabs etc take USD?
What is the current rate of exchange?

My ATM card has heavy surcharges & it's too late to get a new one. Can
someone
answer my questions above in the light of that info - i'll be carrying
dollar bills & dollar
TCs.

Forex changers are everywhere in Bangkok, especially in tourist-heavy
districts like Nana, Silom Rd, Sukhumvit Rd and Siam Square etc. Rates will
vary - count the money at the counter and watch for commissions. I suspect
the street has beter rates than the airport but you will need some cash for
taxi/bus/train whatever from airport.

Shops will not take US dollars. The Wall Street Journal carries daily
exchange rates. Looks like about 34 baht to the US dollar at the moment.

Yes, you definitely need to change your bank and get a more liberal ATM
card.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

"Brian" wrote in message

Also, I am carrying US dollars to the country. Do I need to exchange as
soon
as I get there - or can I exchange as I need money? Where can I get good
exchange
rates?
Or do shops/cabs etc take USD?
What is the current rate of exchange?

My ATM card has heavy surcharges & it's too late to get a new one. Can
someone
answer my questions above in the light of that info - i'll be carrying
dollar bills & dollar
TCs.

I wonder why so many Americans expect to be able to use their own
currency when they visit overseas countries. Everyone else accepts
that they will need to obtain local currency when they travel. US
Dollars are the currency of the United States, and Thailand is not
part of the US.

You need to obtain Thai Baht to spend when you're in Thailand. As
others have suggested, use an ATM card to get local currency, or
change your money at a foreign exchange dealer.

Chris
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Denny[_2_]

"Brian" wrote in message

Also, I am carrying US dollars to the country. Do I need to exchange as
soon
as I get there - or can I exchange as I need money? Where can I get good
exchange
rates?
Or do shops/cabs etc take USD?
What is the current rate of exchange?

My ATM card has heavy surcharges & it's too late to get a new one. Can
someone
answer my questions above in the light of that info - i'll be carrying
dollar bills & dollar
TCs.

I wonder why so many Americans expect to be able to use their own
currency when they visit overseas countries.

Well, I am not American!!! Don't assume :-)
And I can't buy Baht locally in my country - I can buy only Euros, Dollars
& Pounds for foreign travel.

Everyone else accepts
that they will need to obtain local currency when they travel. US
Dollars are the currency of the United States, and Thailand is not
part of the US.

I have been to Brazil where dollars are accepted at a lot of places, hence
asked.