Don't transit in Mumbai

Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

Default Don't transit in Mumbai

"Jean00" wrote in message

Why we should avoid traveling in India?

Because some posters are just trolls.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , grusl says...

I think Dopey was criticising my spelling of Indian cities! It clashes with
his GPS.

Aren't the official names Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai etc.? What names do
the locals use in India?
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , grusl says...

I think Dopey was criticising my spelling of Indian cities! It clashes
with
his GPS.

Aren't the official names Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai etc.? What names do
the locals use in India?

Chennai has some popularity, but the old names are more often used for the
other cities. Renaming is based on communal rivalries and professional
political activism.

Bangalore is supposedly Bengaluru - the Kannada name - but less than 30% of
the population is Kannadiga as they are being displaced by more skilled and
more literate migrants from elsewhere in India. naturally they want to
reassert themselves.

Mumbai is allegedly a Marathi name. If you listen to natives pronounce the
name it is somewhere between Bombay and Mumbai; no one can agree. Kolkata, I
believe, is based on vowel transcription and thus has some legitimacy.

You will hear lots of nonsense from proffessional agitators about old
temples and anicent scripture but it's all usually made-up "history" similar
to what you hear from Aryan revisionists or British Israelites.

I don't doubt if the nationalists have their way, Hong Kong will soon become
Xianggang in everyday usage.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , grusl says...

I think Dopey was criticising my spelling of Indian cities! It clashes
with
his GPS.

Aren't the official names Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai etc.? What names do
the locals use in India?

We've had this conversation before.

The name changes are political.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:44:17 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

I've just flown to Bangalore via Mumbai and have to say that getting
from the international to the national terminals in Mumbai (9km apart)
is an ordeal which can last hours.

snipped for brevity, but read it all

I'll keep it in mind; I intend going back to India.

From your report and others here, it sounds like all Indian
airports may be similar in that respect. Allow a LOT more
time than anywhere else in the world, then add another hour
or two:-)

This was my experience of New Delhi's Indira Gandhi Airport:
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008...ort-delhi.html

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

wrote:

I've just flown to Bangalore via Mumbai and have to say that getting
from the international to the national terminals in Mumbai (9km apart)
is an ordeal which can last hours.

snipped for brevity, but read it all

I'll keep it in mind; I intend going back to India.

From your report and others here, it sounds like all Indian
airports may be similar in that respect. Allow a LOT more
time than anywhere else in the world, then add another hour
or two:-)

This was my experience of New Delhi's Indira Gandhi Airport:
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008...ort-delhi.html

I didn't mean to sound like I was crapping over India. Times are widely
divergent. Bangalore airport also holds my personal international flight
arrival speed record ... from wheels down to in taxi in 13 minutes,
including immigration and retrieving a checked bag. (Business class,
admittedly, but that doesn't always matter).

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:17:48 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've just flown to Bangalore via Mumbai and have to say that getting
from the international to the national terminals in Mumbai (9km apart)
is an ordeal which can last hours.

snipped for brevity, but read it all

I'll keep it in mind; I intend going back to India.

From your report and others here, it sounds like all Indian
airports may be similar in that respect. Allow a LOT more
time than anywhere else in the world, then add another hour
or two:-)

This was my experience of New Delhi's Indira Gandhi Airport:
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008...ort-delhi.html

I didn't mean to sound like I was crapping over India. Times are widely
divergent. Bangalore airport also holds my personal international flight
arrival speed record ... from wheels down to in taxi in 13 minutes,
including immigration and retrieving a checked bag. (Business class,
admittedly, but that doesn't always matter).

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Fair enough George - I'll still be going back:-)

Provided I can show my face after this test series...we let
them get off the hook in your town and paid for that in
Mohali.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:17:48 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I've just flown to Bangalore via Mumbai and have to say that getting
from the international to the national terminals in Mumbai (9km apart)
is an ordeal which can last hours.
snipped for brevity, but read it all

I'll keep it in mind; I intend going back to India.

From your report and others here, it sounds like all Indian
airports may be similar in that respect. Allow a LOT more
time than anywhere else in the world, then add another hour
or two:-)

This was my experience of New Delhi's Indira Gandhi Airport:
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008...ort-delhi.html

I didn't mean to sound like I was crapping over India. Times are widely
divergent. Bangalore airport also holds my personal international flight
arrival speed record ... from wheels down to in taxi in 13 minutes,
including immigration and retrieving a checked bag. (Business class,
admittedly, but that doesn't always matter).

Fair enough George - I'll still be going back:-)

Provided I can show my face after this test series...we let
them get off the hook in your town and paid for that in
Mohali.

Yes, the first three sentences my local bartender said to me over 20 minutes
the other evening we

"India just won the Test."

"India won, you know."

"Did I mention India won today?"

Cheers
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Alan S says...

I'll keep it in mind; I intend going back to India.

There is more to it actually which I didn't mention in my initial post.
When getting off the plane in Mumbai, arriving from Bangalore, I
happened to get out of the airport (didn't know that you have
immediately turn left in the baggage retrieval room).

Once outside, since I couldn't find the shuttle bus, I looked for a
taxi. There weren't any, only "creative" people offering rides at
inflated prices. Which is a bit unbelievable, for a major airport as
Mumbai. No taxis waiting for customers outside - how do people get to
their final destination.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article , grusl says...

I think Dopey was criticising my spelling of Indian cities! It clashes
with
his GPS.

Aren't the official names Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai etc.? What names do
the locals use in India?
--

These are local names. Bombay, Calcutta och so vidare are *******ized names
to make the English looters feel comfortable.