Itinerary help..

Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gareth Slee

Default Itinerary help..

OK next August trip is going to be slightly different.
We're flying into Boston, MA and plan on touring south over two weeks
before arriving at Orlando, Fl for a week.
How would you plan that? Along the coast or maybe travel inland?
Any thoughts welcome...

--
Gareth Slee
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
OK next August trip is going to be slightly different.
We're flying into Boston, MA and plan on touring south over two weeks
before arriving at Orlando, Fl for a week.
How would you plan that? Along the coast or maybe travel inland?
Any thoughts welcome...

One suggestion is to check with your local travel agent, detailing to
him/her your interests, timeframe, etc.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Sep 3, 10:49*am, (Gareth Slee) wrote:
OK next August trip is going to be slightly different.
We're flying into Boston, MA and plan on touring south over two weeks
before arriving at Orlando, Fl for a week.
How would you plan that? Along the coast or maybe travel inland?
Any thoughts welcome...

--
Gareth Slee

That's a very long drive. I'd go along the coast.
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
OK next August trip is going to be slightly different.
We're flying into Boston, MA and plan on touring south over two weeks
before arriving at Orlando, Fl for a week.
How would you plan that? Along the coast or maybe travel inland?
Any thoughts welcome...
--
Gareth Slee

I do that once or twice a year, but I do it in the winter - so I run into no
crowds at beaches. I love walking the beach so I usually drive down along
the coast and depending on the weather, I might take the major highways
back.
So let me first ask:
Where are you from ?
Then - you have a few questions to ponder
WHY are you doing the drive?
Are you used to HEAVY traffic ? Do you mind it ?
What are you interested in ? Seeing landmarks ( Faneuil Hall, Wash DC
monuments etc) or scenery ?
How many drivers ? ( To determine - COULD you drive 12/18 hours straight ?)
I THINK I posted a few trip reports from my trips (I'll check )
Briefly what I do -
Driving directions to Orlando, FL
1,594 mi - about 1 day 3 hours

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,28.168945&z=5

Look it over and think over my questions. Post back here

Old September 5th, 2009, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Gareth Slee:
OK next August trip is going to be slightly different.
We're flying into Boston, MA and plan on touring south over two weeks
before arriving at Orlando, Fl for a week.
How would you plan that?

Well, if I was asking people for advice, I'd tell them what sort
of things I was interested in.

Along the coast or maybe travel inland?

Me, I like cities, so I'd consider spending a lot of the time in Boston,
New York, maybe Philadelphia, and Washington, traveling by train -- the
route serving those cities is about the best train service in the US,
and the cities have good enough public transit that you don't need a car
in them.
--
Mark Brader | "For the stronger we our houses do build,
Toronto | The less chance we have of being killed."

Old September 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
OK next August trip is going to be slightly different.
We're flying into Boston, MA and plan on touring south over two weeks
before arriving at Orlando, Fl for a week.
How would you plan that? Along the coast or maybe travel inland?
Any thoughts welcome...

--
Gareth Slee

At the risk of being obtuse (and assuming you haven't booked the tickets)
I'd skip Boston. Fly to Washington and work your way down the coast. If
you have a special reason for going to Boston then do what you have to find
your way to Washington (train/fly) and start from there.

Don't go south from Washington - go east and then work your way down to
Newport News. The Carolina coast in particular is rather special. The
"Outer Banks" are not to be rushed if only because of needing to catch
ferries several times. Savannah and Charleston are both lovely cities.
If you feel the need for some hills go to Ashville NC. Two weeks for even
that shortened version is not enough time.

Old September 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
OK next August trip is going to be slightly different.
We're flying into Boston, MA and plan on touring south over two weeks
before arriving at Orlando, Fl for a week.
How would you plan that? Along the coast or maybe travel inland?
Any thoughts welcome...

--
Gareth Slee

I found an old trip report I had posted :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...7d6840b5?hl=en
just skip parts that don't apply.

NC - if time allows, take auto ferries through Outer Banks. If not and you
go via Interstates, stop he
http://www.biltmore.com/ it's definitely worth a few hours. There is a
charge - so check the site.

Jekyll Island - nice

Charleston, SC - very nice - like Boston historically, but warmer in winter.
It's a great walking town, but lots of cobblestones streets. If you do not
wear strong soled shoes, trust me your feet WILL hurt for days
Visitor's center very useful. Take an old town trolley ride. Walking tour
info at Visitor center too.

Savannah GA - very nice also - grand houses - lots of history (bad).

Wash DC - if you're into history - could spend weeks.
Pick your pleasure.

Old September 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Ok start with the highlights choose your cities and time line

also are you going alone, any children what do you like to see
what are your interests???

you have 14 days less two days for the travel
Boston arrival plus one day there

do you want to see New York city decide how long
I recommend 5-7 days for Washington DC
plus a day in Baltimore one day Philadelphia including local travel
one to two days along the coast of the Carolina's

I would like to go back in town to Atlanta Georgia for two days

So you see this is just the highlights of cities

would recommend taking a local flight or train from Boston to Washington
unless you have a desire to see New York
Are you going to rent a car?

Also have a cancellations trip in mind it will be hurricanes time so be
prepared with a second plain just in case hate last minute changes and
having a bad trip

Also remember Florida can be very hot so be prepare to slow things down