Best airline for travelling with under 5s

Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Thunder Ace

Default Best airline for travelling with under 5s

(Thunder Ace) wrote in message . com...
"Stephen" wrote in message m...
There is only one choice, Singapore Airlines. When young children are in
your group then they are by far the best.

What a load of twaddle. Have you tried all the other airlines then or
are you just surmising? I used both JAL and Malaysian with two young
kids in tow. Both are excellent.

I should clarify. I meant that the airlines are excellent, I don't go
in for boasting about the kids.

Thunder Ace

You may even want to consider a stop over in Singapore.

Stephen
www.tryus4travel.com

"Aaron Aardvark" wrote in message
Apologies if this has been posted before. But I did a quick google and
couldn't find much that was recent on the subject.

I will be travelling from the UK to Australia in October. We will be
travelling with 2 children under 5. This is likely to be hell. We will
have the usual box of toys, pressies, sweets, etc. for bribery, backed
up of course by threat of punishment. However, as I'm sure many will
realise, a tired two-year old does not always respond well to either
carrot or stick.

So any recomendations for the choice of airline (apart from "not mine"
;o))? Who is best with kids? I have heard that Qantas can be good with
kids and so can BA. However, I've also heard both (and particulalrly
Qantas) leave something to be desired when flying cattle class. I was
tempted by Thai for the extra legroom (34" pitch vs 31" on most) but
I've heard that overall they aren't as good, especially regarding
entertainment longhaul (from www.airlinequality.com)

Thanks.

AA.

Old September 27th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Susan Croft

Avoid B.A at all costs !!!!
My 9 yr old barely had enough leg room.
Last time
I flew Emirates and they were fine. Not tried Singapore but they have a very
good reputation

"4000 psi" wrote in message
Singapore Airlines is considered one of the best airlines in the world
period, so i am not surprised at your experiences ...

"Claire" wrote in message
I've travelled with Singapore Airlines with a 5 year old and more

recently
with a 6 month old - they are brilliant and have baby supplies (nappies,
food, milk, wipes, bibs) available on request as well as handing you a

bag
of stuff when you get on board. The staff frequently offered to hold or

mind
the baby if we were trying to get stuff out of the overhead compartment

or
going to the loo or eating dinner - they were happy to stagger our meals

so
one of us could keep her amused and when she threw up (massively, all

over
her father and his seat!) they came running with hot cloths, plastic

bags
and spray stuff to clean the seat. You can reserve the bassinet and the
bulkhead seats when you book (I do this direct with Singapore airlines
rather than a travel agent as they have always been able to do it for

the
same price and usually have more seats available on the dates that we

want.)

They were so very helpful that I am going to be using them next time -

when
we will be travelling with another 6-9 month old AND a toddler (plus an
11year old who loves the gameboy/ kids tv and film channels on the

personal
tv). Singapore airlines give small kids a goodie bag with things to do

and
have good kids meals (I never had any trouble getting my eldest to eat

his )
although I recommend confiscating anything chocolate from the tray the
moment it appears in front of them- the small crumbs of chocolate will
magically transfer themselves to the clothing of everyone in the

vicinity.
They even put priority stickers on our luggage when we checked in so

that
we
wouldn't have to wait too long at the other end of our journey for the

bags
to come out onto the carousel- which we really appreciated after a very

long
flight with two grizzly kids. My sister flew Thai a couple of years ago

with
two toddlers and found them very good too. I've flown BA with one small
child and they were bloody awful.

Singapore Airlines usually go via Singapore's Changi airport (surprise
surprise) so you can either get onto the next plane to Oz or break the
journey with a stopover at the airport hotel - you won't need to leave

the
airport or collect baggage or clear customs - just walk off the plane

and
up
to the reception desk (make a reservation!) it was a life saver for us

when
travelling with a little one. We usually go to NZ so have two twelve

hour
(-ish) flights so a lie-down half way through and a chance to shower and
change are heavenly.

Claire

Qantas are crap with kids. Stick with BA.

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Susan Croft" wrote:

Avoid B.A at all costs !!!!
My 9 yr old barely had enough leg room.
Last time
I flew Emirates and they were fine. Not tried Singapore but they have a very
good reputation

Emirates seating can be very tight however