Thailand question

Old October 15th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Debbie

Default Thailand question

My husband and I have scheduled a trip to Thailand in mid November. I want to take my laptop and need to know if I can get internet connections. If so, do I have to get an account with a company there? How much does it cost. We will be there for two weeks.

Debbie

Old October 15th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Steve Kramer

You can purchase short term internet connections in just about every
department store, convenience store, and cell phone shop (not to mention
computer stores) all over Thailand. Most likely, it's easier here than
in Texas! You buy 'cards' with a user number and password, and just set
up a dial-up connection to the local number supplied. You can buy these
cards with 24 hours up to unlimited monthly hours, and the cost is next
to nothing. Easy to find. Easy to use.

Steve Kramer
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,
but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:18 PM
ExpatNL

also, internet is everywhere in .TL and it's very cheap in case you decide
not to bring your laptop.
i remember chiang mai has the lowest hourly rate [20B]!

Old October 15th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Markku Grönroos

"ExpatNL" wrote in message
also, internet is everywhere in .TL and it's very cheap in case you decide
not to bring your laptop.
i remember chiang mai has the lowest hourly rate [20B]!

You don't find that cheap then ? How much is "cheap" ? By taking your own
computer you save money ?

Old October 15th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:39:24 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"ExpatNL" wrote in message
m...
also, internet is everywhere in .TL and it's very cheap in case you decide
not to bring your laptop.
i remember chiang mai has the lowest hourly rate [20B]!

You don't find that cheap then ? How much is "cheap" ? By taking your own
computer you save money ?

You will save a bit if you use your own computer rather than an
internet cafe. Using your own machine would typically cost you less
than 10 Baht an hour, plus a small charge for the phone call.

Old October 15th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:39:24 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"ExpatNL" wrote in message
m...
also, internet is everywhere in .TL and it's very cheap in case you

decide
not to bring your laptop.
i remember chiang mai has the lowest hourly rate [20B]!

You don't find that cheap then ? How much is "cheap" ? By taking your own
computer you save money ?

You will save a bit if you use your own computer rather than an
internet cafe. Using your own machine would typically cost you less
than 10 Baht an hour, plus a small charge for the phone call.

Actually I tried to kill my poster. Too late then. I got it all wrong. I
agree that 20 baht IS very reasonable indeed. I suppose for those living in
Thailand, the home connection is usually the best alternative. For
travelling men doing business it is equally vital to have an instant access
(and dbases only their machine holds). For holiday makers there is typically
little point to carry a laptop of their own.

Old October 15th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Miguel Cruz

Markku Grönroos wrote:
Actually I tried to kill my poster. Too late then. I got it all wrong. I
agree that 20 baht IS very reasonable indeed. I suppose for those living
in Thailand, the home connection is usually the best alternative. For
travelling men doing business it is equally vital to have an instant
access (and dbases only their machine holds). For holiday makers there is
typically little point to carry a laptop of their own.

I agree. Public internet access (internet cafes etc.) are so widespread and
cheap, that the cost difference is small. The hassle of carrying around a
laptop, working out connections, and worrying about theft/damage overcomes
the advantages of the laptop unless there is a very compelling specific
reason for it. Between a knoppix CD and a USB datakey you can easily carry
your entire environment around with you if you are a Linux user, in effect
turning any internet cafe computer into your own while you use it.

miguel