Don't Pee In Manchester UK...

Old October 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_66_]

Default Don't Pee In Manchester UK...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...orce-lavatory-
change.html

Transgender students force lavatory change

A row has broken out at the University of Manchester after its student union
lavatories were stripped of their genders so as not to offend transgendered
people

By Aislinn Simpson
Last Updated: 1:32PM BST 30 Sep 2008

"The ladies' lavatory is now simply labelled "toilet" while the mens' has
become "toilets with urinals".

The student union decided to change the signs during a meeting of its
executive in the summer following a number of complaints from transgender
students.

Women's officer Jennie Killip refused to say how many people had complained,
and there are no figures for how many transgender people there are among the
university's 35,000 population.

She said: "If you were born female, still presently quite feminine, but
defined as a man you should be able to go into the men's toilets.

"You don't necessarily have to have had gender reassignment surgery, but you
could just define yourself as a man, feel very masculine in yourself, feel
that in fact being a woman is not who you are.

"Transgender people can face violence and abuse when they go into toilets
and we wanted to provide a place where they can feel comfortable.

"I have had complaints from people who said we didn't have any facilities
for them."

But the switch has caused consternation among many of the students returning
from their summer break.

Second-year student Jane McConnell, 19, a news editor on the Student Direct
student newspaper, said: "While these signs might be appropriate for people
with different sexualities, I also think that many people from different
religious and ethnic groups are going to feel uncomfortable using these
facilities.

"Even though they're just two signs, at the end of the day, toilets should
be for women and for men specifically, not for both."

Another student said: "This is ridiculous. It is just too much political
correctness."

/

Old October 1st, 2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 01:44:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...orce-lavatory-
change.html

Transgender students force lavatory change

A row has broken out at the University of Manchester after its student union
lavatories were stripped of their genders so as not to offend transgendered
people

Appears to be about the same as many toilets in France. The one
under the plaza in front of Notre Dame can be a bit of a surprise
for, say, Americans.

Old October 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...dents-force-la....
change.html

Transgender students force lavatory change

A row has broken out at the University of Manchester after its student union
lavatories were stripped of their genders so as not to offend transgendered
people

Appears to be about the same as many toilets in France. The one
under the plaza in front of Notre Dame can be a bit of a surprise
for, say, Americans.

Recently I've encountered a few people standing puzzled outside toilets
marked with those "biological" signs, don't know the correct name - a
circle with an arrow for a man, and a cross for a woman - not knowing
what they stood for. How can you NOT know that?

B;

It's very easy not to know that. Many people don't have the schooling
in biology.