Naples Worthwhile?

Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Walt Bilofsky

Default Naples Worthwhile?

"tim....." wrote:

"Walt Bilofsky" wrote in message
.. .
"bartc" wrote:

I had the same negative image of Naples as most of the responders
here.

Me too. I found nothing of real interest there

I'm told that there are so worthwhile art museums, but I don't do art
museums. Though the complainant was that they only opened in the morning,
so to do them all took twice as many days as necessary. This could have
changed

tim

Thanks, Tim. How long ago was your visit?

We don't do art museums much either - and then only at a fast trot.

- Walt
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:59:07 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

Is Naples now a good walking-around city? Worth a couple of days?
Don't buy anything: many fake goods!

Some of us actually WANT to buy fake goods.

Hurray for sanity.

Buying any kind of cheap tat on holiday always seems insane to me. I
find it far more convenient to buy cheap clothes at home.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:27:05 -0700, Walt Bilofsky
wrote:

We have five nights / four days to spend in the Naples / Amalfi Coast
area before boarding a ship in Sorrento. In the past we've been to
Pompei, and to Amalfi twice on day trips.

We were planning to just skip Naples, but Frommer's guide raves about
how the historic center has been cleaned up, and the crime situation
greatly improved.

Questions:

1) Is Naples now a good walking-around city? Worth a couple of days?

There are interesting things to see there, but it's far from one of my
favorite Italian cities. If you like art, the Capodimonte museum is
terrific!

2) Where should we spend two or three nights on the Amalfi Coast -
Amalfi (where we've already been), Sorrento (where we'll walk around
anyway our last day), or someplace else?

I love Capri, where there are lots of things to see, and would highly
recommend it if you won't be there during a very busy very touristy
time of year.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

Jack Campin - bogus address ha scritto:

Some of us actually WANT to buy fake goods.

Yes, if they are fake that seems true also out of the box, but in old
times they sold electronics equipments (VCR, radios, Cameras) in
same_as_new sealed boxes with inside only bricks or stones to simulate
weight.

Ciao, Piero.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Is Naples now a good walking-around city? Worth a couple of days?

Don't buy anything: many fake goods!

Some of us actually WANT to buy fake goods. (Last time I went
to Istanbul, a friend back home was very keen for me to buy her
a fake Rolex - unfortunately it turned out that they were much
harder to find than they used to be).

Heck, I'd even start wearing Armani if I could find something
with the logo spelt wrong.

It's a long time since I sought clothes with brand names, misspelled or
not....

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

Walt Bilofsky ha scritto:

Grazie, Piero. Yes, we are always careful with valuables and aware of
other people when walking in large cities.

Would it make sense to stay two or three nights in the historic center
of Naples? Staying in Sorrento, counting travel time and waiting, it
would take about 2 1/2 hours to go to Naples and back.

I'm sorry.
I live far from Naples (500Km north), and I was there only few times.
In recent times I slept in Pompei one time, and I was there to take a
ferry to Sicily and on the way back one week after.
So I don't know how good is to sleep in historic center.
I think is good and without problems.
I remember very good to buy a daily ticket for public transports (Metro,
light rail, funiculars).
Look at the traffic: a nightmare for every driver not from Naples...
No rules: red lights and stops are totally ignored and the worst trouble
for a car there is the broken clakson: they horn continuously.
....But the landscape is wonderful...
Absolutely climb up to Posillipo hill on a clear day.
In Naples there's a flavour of mafia called 'Camorra', but they never
create problems for normal people.
The only problems, as I said before, are pickpockets (so leave all
valuables in Hotel) and fraud masters.
The 'Napoletani' (people from Naples) are known everywhere in Italy as
'smart' (maybe ... too smart).

Buon viaggio!

Ciao, Piero.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 21:33:20 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Ken Blake wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:22:36 +0100,
(David Horne,

wrote:

Is Naples now a good walking-around city? Worth a couple of days?
Don't buy anything: many fake goods!

Some of us actually WANT to buy fake goods.

Hurray for sanity.

Buying any kind of cheap tat on holiday always seems insane to me. I
find it far more convenient to buy cheap clothes at home.

With one exception, I agree with you. Buying things like cheap socks
and underwear on vacation and throwing them away rather than lugging
dirty clothes around in your suitcase can be a very convenient,
inexpensive way to travel.

I can see that, though I haven't found it a terrible way to travel, and
on our recent trips, we've only taken hand luggage, including a 10 trip
to Italy...

I only take hand luggage too, almost all the time. I normally take
enough socks and underwear for the entire trip and throw them away
after use. That's because wrinkled dirty clothes take up much more
space than folded clean clothes.

I've done this for as much as a 28-day trip to Rome.