Thinking about hiring a campervan...

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:46 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Thinking about hiring a campervan...

Hi,

Im driving from melbourne to adelaide and thinking about hiring a
campervan to make a change to hostel life. The round is drive along
great ocean road as far as port fairy then head inland to hallsgap
before completing the journey to adelaide. Should take approx 4/5
days.

My question is tho, can I just stop at the side of the road and sleep
there or should I best be in a camp/caravan site? Has anyone any
campervan experience? Any tips? Thanks

Burnsy

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On 17 Apr 2007 23:46:37 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

Im driving from melbourne to adelaide and thinking about hiring a
campervan to make a change to hostel life. The round is drive along
great ocean road as far as port fairy then head inland to hallsgap
before completing the journey to adelaide. Should take approx 4/5
days.

My question is tho, can I just stop at the side of the road and sleep
there or should I best be in a camp/caravan site? Has anyone any
campervan experience? Any tips? Thanks

Burnsy

I won't say you can't sleep at roadsides - but it's becoming
increasingly difficult to do so here. Until 2003 I spent two
months every Christmas in a motorhome wandering around the
South-East.

Many councils now have "no parking overnight" or "no
camping" signs in the most likely spots, with fines charging
serious dollars.

I noted that to suggest some care - but I still found ways,
and there are some nice ones near the GOR. I can't remember
them all, but one fabulous free spot comes to mind called
"The Sawpit" just out of Portland, a little further than you
intended. It's listed here, among others:
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B628/0/7A81BAF0A1342EA9CA2570D600237E0E/$File/Recreation_sites.pdf

If you pick the right timing, that is avoid December-January
and the Easter School Holidays, you will find a multitude of
reasonably inexpensive caravan parks.

To be honest, it may be cheaper to rent a car and stay at
cheap motels if you avoid holiday times. Caravan Parks also
have "cabins" or "transportable homes" cheaper than motels
but a little basic - but with cooking facilities.

An example:
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=554304

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

Im driving from melbourne to adelaide and thinking about hiring a
campervan to make a change to hostel life.

http://www.apollocamper.com/

Camper OR car rental (aka "Apex Rent a Car")

Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
rbt

On Apr 19, 3:23 pm, "Rudy" wrote:
Im driving from melbourne to adelaide and thinking about hiring a
campervan to make a change to hostel life.

http://www.apollocamper.com/

Camper OR car rental (aka "Apex Rent a Car")

stay in the national parks - $4.50 per night....

truck-stops are ok if you spend a little mony there...

most council limit stopover in parks to 20 hours...

Old May 14th, 2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Bugger Me

Rudy wrote:
Im driving from melbourne to adelaide and thinking about hiring a
campervan to make a change to hostel life.

http://www.apollocamper.com/

Camper OR car rental (aka "Apex Rent a Car")

Apollo now have a new product on the market with the budget/backpacker
in mind called Hippie Campers.