Morocco via Spain

Old October 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
MarkofAus

Default Morocco via Spain

Has anyone travelled from Spain to Morocco via ferry?
I am wondering what entry to Africa from Europe is like
and how challenging the solo travelling might be after the
relative ease of a first world continent. Thoughts....?

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"MarkofAus" wrote in message
Has anyone travelled from Spain to Morocco via ferry?
I am wondering what entry to Africa from Europe is like

Assuming that you are European/American it is easy. You should get your
entry stamp on the boat so as to save time at the dock. (Actually, I have no
idea how much time not doing this will cost you!). You need the unique
number that is assigned to you on entry every time you check into a hotel
(and when you leave the country!) so don't lose it!.

BTW it is logistically much more complicated to enter via Ceuta, though the
formalities are similar.

and how challenging the solo travelling might be after the
relative ease of a first world continent. Thoughts....?

The only challenge is in dealing with all the beggars and hangers on that
you will attract, some of them will not take 100 nos for an answer!

tim

Old October 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:46:01 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

The only challenge is in dealing with all the beggars and hangers on that
you will attract, some of them will not take 100 nos for an answer!

Hello my friend! You want guide? Very good, for you special price. No
want guide? Want hasish? Meester, I fix for you you.

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen

Old October 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sat, 04 Oct 2008 19:01:05 +1000 schrieb MarkofAus:

Has anyone travelled from Spain to Morocco via ferry?

My (German) mum done that about 40 years ago on a ferry to Tangier and even
then it was not a challange :-)

I am wondering what entry to Africa from Europe is like
and how challenging the solo travelling might be after the
relative ease of a first world continent. Thoughts....?

There are many, many ferries going that way. They are especially popular
with motor-bikers, who want to take some time riding around in the desert.

Be aware of lots of hassle and beggars on the Moroccan side, but apart from
that, it should be easy business.

Regards,

Frank
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 4 Oct, 10:01, MarkofAus wrote:
Has anyone travelled from Spain to Morocco via ferry?
I am wondering what entry to Africa from Europe is like
and how challenging the solo travelling might be after the
relative ease of a first world continent. Thoughts....?

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

We've always preferred the Tarifa/Tangier ferry. Far more atmospheric
than going from Algeciras, if slightly slower and smaller.
Once in Morocco you're in a totally different world. First-time
newcomers just need to reel with the blows and be massively patient!
To see the 'real' Morocco, go through the High Atlas to the Sahara if
you can.
Once out of the Tangier area, some spoken French helps a great deal.
In some 50 years of travel Morocco remains one of our most favoured
countries. Get past the hasslers and the people are positively
wonderful.

Surreyman