Travelex and Nationwde Trip Insurance

Old May 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike[_35_]

Default Travelex and Nationwde Trip Insurance

Any experience good or bad with trip insurance sold by Travelex brokers and
written by Nationwide? Am thinking of buying a policy for an upcoming trip
of 25 days to Europe.
Mike

Old May 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Walt Bilofsky

I've always used Travelguard. They have several options including a
bare bones "Savvy Traveler" plan that I have found to be the cheapest
around. I've had a couple of small medical claims, and they paid the
claimed amount both times on receipt of my documentation.

Travelguard is owned by AIG. But see
http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/bl...vel-insurance/
.. .

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Walt Bilofsky
wrote:

I've always used Travelguard. They have several options including a
bare bones "Savvy Traveler" plan that I have found to be the cheapest
around. I've had a couple of small medical claims, and they paid the
claimed amount both times on receipt of my documentation.

Last year I had to cancel a cruise do to having an unexpected medical
event and Travel Guard paid the large claim about two weeks after
receiving documentation.

--
Charles
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

As a general rule of thumb, we usually recommend Travelguard to our clients,
along with an explanation as to why. Most of it has to do with exactly what
you are talking about. However, we also include a link so one can compare
Travelguard to other companies as well. Not everyone will take things at
face value, they want to compare for themselves. So, we give them that
opportunity.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

I'll put in a plug for CSA Travel Protection, which promptly paid our
large claim.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bob edwards

On May 10, 8:02*pm, D Ball wrote:
I'll put in a plug for CSA Travel Protection, which promptly paid our
large claim.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

We don't like to buy insurance until the time of final payment. That
way we won't be out the cost of the insurance if we change our plans
between making our deposit and final payment. We have a concern about
pre-existing conditions and have found that HRH International has a
plan which does not exclude pre-existing conditions if the insurance
is bought within 10 days of final cruise payment.
Fortunately we have not had to have any experience with their claim
processing.
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

bob edwards wrote:
On May 10, 8:02 pm, D Ball wrote:
I'll put in a plug for CSA Travel Protection, which promptly paid our
large claim.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

We don't like to buy insurance until the time of final payment. That
way we won't be out the cost of the insurance if we change our plans
between making our deposit and final payment. We have a concern about
pre-existing conditions and have found that HRH International has a
plan which does not exclude pre-existing conditions if the insurance
is bought within 10 days of final cruise payment.
Fortunately we have not had to have any experience with their claim
processing.

If you buy insurance and change your plans you can switch your insurance
to a different cruise as long as you use it within a year.

We discovered that with some insurance you lose pre-existing coverage
when you switch dates, but we found that Travelex TraveLite plan allows
us to change our trip and still keep our pre-exisitng coverge.

sue
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Walt Bilofsky

bob edwards wrote:

We don't like to buy insurance until the time of final payment. That
way we won't be out the cost of the insurance if we change our plans
between making our deposit and final payment. We have a concern about
pre-existing conditions and have found that HRH International has a
plan which does not exclude pre-existing conditions if the insurance
is bought within 10 days of final cruise payment.

For most plans to cover pre-existing conditions, you need to buy the
insurance within 10 or 14 days of the first payment.

TravelGuard told me that the way to handle this is to buy the minimum
amount of insurance within that period, and then pay up to increase
the policy limit when you make the later payment(s).
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
, bob
edwards wrote:

We don't like to buy insurance until the time of final payment. That
way we won't be out the cost of the insurance if we change our plans
between making our deposit and final payment. We have a concern about
pre-existing conditions and have found that HRH International has a
plan which does not exclude pre-existing conditions if the insurance
is bought within 10 days of final cruise payment.
Fortunately we have not had to have any experience with their claim
processing.

I don't either but I usually have not had to worry about pre-existing
conditions. However I have a policy from Travel Guard I bought when I
made final payment long after deposit for an upcoming cruise that I did
through my travel agent for the cruise, and on the policy I noticed
that it says Promotional Package--Pre-Existing Condition waiver. Maybe
he got that as a special for our group.

Also CSA has a coverage plan that covers pre-existing conditions if
purchased within 24 hours of final payment. I bought that one for a
cruise last December.

--
Charles
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Also CSA has a coverage plan that covers pre-existing conditions if
purchased within 24 hours of final payment. I bought that one for a
cruise last December.

--
Charles

We are last-minute bookers, and that CSA-within-24 plan is the one I
like to buy.

As a reminder to all, pre-existing conditions aren't just yours--they
are also those of your non-traveling family members. Most healthy
folks don't need pre-ex coverage for themselves, but if any of those
saying bon voyage have health issues that could cause you to cancel or
interrupt your trip in the event they escalated to grave illness or
death, then you need pre-ex coverage.

Also, do not even play around with parsing the terms of pre-ex. If
someone's got any sort of health issue, just buy the pre-ex coverage.
You can read the definition and reasonably convince yourself that the
care, meds, diagnoses, complaints, doctor visits, etc. fall outside
the lookback period or otherwise won't be categorized as a pre-ex
condition. But if you have to cancel or interrupt due to any health
issue involving that person, you've just bought yourself a protracted
claim process and potentially a claim denial.

Diana