Carry-on and secondary screening

Old January 5th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Miguel Cruz

Jan wrote:
JimL wrote:
Better advice: Wear the neck pouch outside the clothes and visible.
Passport, paper money, and credit cards are not metal, and I would
certainly not let that all away from my sight. Metal -- coins, keys,
watch, can go in a pouch or zip lock baggie in an outer pocket of the
carry-on. Don't EVER let out of your possession passport, boarding
pass, credit cards, cash.

Surely a "neck pouch" is more or less the same thing as a wallet or small
purse ?....both of which you would have to put through for screening.

I've never been asked to put my wallet through the x-ray machine. Well,
sometimes they've asked he crowd in general to do it, but I've never done
it, and nobody's ever cared.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old January 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Jan wrote:

[snip]
Surely a "neck pouch" is more or less the same thing as a wallet or

small
purse ?....both of which you would have to put through for

screening.

I've never been asked to put my wallet through the x-ray machine.

Well,
sometimes they've asked he crowd in general to do it, but I've never

done
it, and nobody's ever cared.

What they ask, what you should do, and what you have to do are all
3 different things. I tend to put all my stuff in the carry on.
This is predominately so that when I get pulled aside, I have NOTHING
in my pockets. On occasion something has gotten forgotten. Once,
I forgot my watch, that got me flagged for the extra special slap
and tickle, at which point they "found" a bunch of small things like
dollar bills, receipts, etc. in various pockets and the guy in
exasperation said "we want EVERYTHING out of your pockets" and sent
me back through the detector. I think he was just having a bad day.
At DCA they have this thing about shoes. MCO doesn't.

Old January 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Miguel Cruz wrote:
I've never been asked to put my wallet through the x-ray machine.

Well,
sometimes they've asked he crowd in general to do it, but I've never

done
it, and nobody's ever cared.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents:

http://travel.u.nu

Last year (2004), I was flying out of SFO. I had reduced my clothing
to gym shorts, underpants, a t-shirt, and flip-flops (no metal, except
the fillings in my teeth, to set off the metal detector). I was
carrying my wallet and boarding pass in plain view. The TSA agent
objected to me carrying those items in the open, and suggested that I
put them in my non-existent pockets (so in their logic, having these
hidden in my pockets was acceptable, but holding them in my hand was
not). When I told him I had no pockets, he took those two items and
tried to put them on the conveyor belt and through the x-ray machine.
Fortunately, I was fast enough to keep them from being eaten up by the
machine, and I was able to request that he protect the public by doing
a hand search of my wallet and boarding pass. He was obviously unhappy
with being forced to do some real work: he disassembled the wallet and
the boarding pass/envelope, made a big show of examining all of the
contents, and then glowered at me as he handed them back to me in
pieces and without any attempt to put them back together.