Is it expensive for Americans to travel in Australia??

Old March 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Mr Jamie Wallis

Default Is it expensive for Americans to travel in Australia??

Australia isn't as expensive as Europe, but it is still quite expensive to
travel and for accommodation. Food is fairly cheap depending on where you
eat.
wrote in message
om...
Ok, I know that this is a subjective question. But I am trying to get
a sense of whether the declining US dollar still lets you travel
affordably in Australia. Perhaps a comparison would be useful. Is it
as expensive as travelling in Europe? Or is it a little less
expensive, say, like travelling in Canada? Thanks in advance for any
help here!

Old March 31st, 2004, 02:05 AM
Les Chandra

"A Mate" wrote in news:40695160$0$15063$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

Haven't several of us already responded to this exact question before??!

1st of every month, isn't it?

Les

snip how much is a piece of string question
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM
Tony Bailey

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
you're doing on arrival. Sydney, for example, is much more expensive than
Adelaide which is more expensive than Hobart. Fuel prices vary

considerably

Raffi,

You've got me intrigued - some specifics please!

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
Tony Bailey

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message

Just my anecdotal experience of items like hire cars, food-for-travelers,
accommodation, etc. Admittedly, I likely had housing prices partially in
mind which, naturally, wouldn't concern the tourist in the least.

On the other three subjects, it's probably not enough of a margin to be
worth worrying about - particularly as the peak tourist season in Tassie is
now November to April - and accommodation can sometimes be a real problem,
especially in small places such as Strahan.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old April 4th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

On the other hand the current ratio may be the best you will have
for ten years.

A notch or two down-market with a better cost-stress ratio
is often more relaxing than last-cent budgeted luxury.

I dare to repeat something I've spouted a few times here, on the topic of
currency exchange rates, interest rates, and housing prices: if you can
predict these with any accuracy, go to work for the RBA and write your own
ticket. They pay people heaps to guess wrong, as do most central banks.

As far as travel goes, even 10% - a huge difference in currency terms - will
make a difference of only a few hundred dollars in all but the most upscale
or long-term travel plans. Fugedabudid. If you're that tightly budgeted,
hang in there until you can truly enjoy your travels.

RAB (who is eternally glad his five-figure, 2001 4.5 month expedition in
Australia was when the AUD was CAD0.75, not a little above par).