Vienna or Salzburg

Old November 9th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Dominic Goh

Default Vienna or Salzburg

After some feedback that I might have overrated Vienna in the winter,
I'm now considering visting Salzburg instead of Vienna. I've never
visited Austria before, would bypassing Vienna be a wise choice? (for
someone who may never have the opportunity to come back to Austria for
a very long time :-) What are the differences between the 2 cities?
I'm interested in looking at architecture, history but there's got to
be some nightlife and shopping opportunities as well! Would it be
feasible to plan a day trip (by train) into the Austrian mountains
from Salzburg?

I intend to spend 3 days in Salzburg, then take a train to Prague to
spend another 3 days.

Any advice?
Old November 9th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Gernot Egger

Dominic Goh wrote:
What are the differences between the 2 cities?

Salzburg is a small town - nice for a day-trip IMO - and Vienna is a capital
city (once of an empire!).

I'm interested in looking at architecture, history but there's got to
be some nightlife and shopping opportunities as well!

And you're considering Salzburg?

Would it be
feasible to plan a day trip (by train) into the Austrian mountains
from Salzburg?

Sure! But where to? BTW: Salzbug is the name of a city and the name of a
province!

Salzburg has a very nice centre with the castle on a rock.

Vienna is - compared to Salzburg - huge.

I think both cities are worth a visit but to drop Vienna for Salzburg seems
strange to me!

lg Gernot

Old November 9th, 2003, 07:00 PM
tile

I think it will be hard for you to go from Salzburg to Prague by train.
The connection is between Linz and Prague.. but it is not a main line.
I think Salzburg is much nicer than Vienna..
but much smaller
so.. two days will be morethan enough for salzburg town.
there are interesting saltmines near the town.
om...