Hiking and backpacking information about Alaska?

Old January 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Just Another Traveler

Default Hiking and backpacking information about Alaska?

I'm interested in hiking and backpacking info about the Denali
National Park
and the surrounding areas. Most of us are strong hikers and
experienced backpackers.
If you have any information to share, places not to miss, books to
recommend, I'd really appreciate.
We'll be backpacking/camping most of the trip.

p.s. we'll be going for about 3 weeks in August.

Lucie

Old January 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jan 7, 11:45*pm, Just Another Traveler
wrote:
I'm interested in hiking and backpacking info about the Denali
National Park
and the surrounding areas. *Most of us are strong hikers and
experienced backpackers.
If you have any information to share, places not to miss, books to
recommend, I'd really appreciate.
We'll be backpacking/camping most of the trip.

It's been twelve years since I did an overnight backcountry camp in
Denali park, but at least I can point out some things you need to
check further.

In 1995, backcountry camping was a bargain as the permit included your
ride on the camper bus. Currently, the backcountry permits are free,
but it appears that you need to pay a pretty steep fare for the camper
bus (but I expect still significantly cheaper than the sightseeing
buses).

The backcountry camping regulations specified a maximum number of
people in an area. I think it may have been one tent/two people. They
also required you to not follow any trails. I did my best to comply,
which meant trudging through marshy areas and through gullies with
alder thickets. You're also supposed to camp out of sight of the road;
fortunately the terrain is lumpy enough to allow this--I did not make
it nearly as far as I'd planned to, due to the lack of easy trails.
(But I did see paths; whether they were animal trails or backcountry
camper trails I can't be certain.) It's not clear on the current
website
http://www.denali.national-park.com/camping.htm#back
what the time limits on a backcountry stay are; I think it was up to
six days in 1995 (in any case, I only did an overnighter). Note the
ban on campfires.

I was there in mid-August. To ensure my desired area and to get a seat
on the bus, I got to the park office very early--7 AM or so. It turned
out not to be a huge deal, so you're probably okay (unless things have
changed).

There was a small store just outside Denali park with a good range of
expensive supplies.

How far around the "surrounding areas" are you planning to travel, and
how are you travelling? You may be limited in how long a backcountry
permit will last you in Denali, and how often you can get one--best to
inquire.