Canadians, Kiwis, Aussies and their flags

Old June 30th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Ian Phillips

Default Canadians, Kiwis, Aussies and their flags

This oot thing really gets me. I say about ,they (US) say abouuuut.
We have a shorter way of saying it.
The difference is more pronounced in the Eastern/Southern States.
Not as much difference in the Western states and provinces.
Then there is this tag vs licence plate thing. Tag I believe is a southern
thing but could be wrong.

Happy Canada Day July1 and yes Happy July 4th to our American neigbours

"Aramis" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
Yoo doon't knoow woot yoor tooking aboot Mikey!

I don't get that distinction either;

I hear canadians say "abowt" (as in "bow" to the Queen - heheh theres

the
Colonial in me coming out)
and Americans "abawt" (as in baa baa black sheep, os something
just a little less severe than that)

"Mike O'sullivan" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
link.net...
Why do they insist on putting their flags onto their backpacks and
I assure you that almost no European will be able to distinguish

between
the accents of Canadians & Americans. Lots of Canadians sound just
like Midwestern Americans except for the occasional difference in

"out"
("oot") as in "about."

?? That vowel sound is nothing like that!

Old June 30th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Miguel Cruz

Aramis wrote:
If it doesn't fit the premise you hold, it's being made up?

If each iteration introduces details that sound successively more made-up,
then it's being made up.

miguel

Old June 30th, 2004, 12:57 PM
The Reids

Following up to Frank Slootweg

True. But they should be able to distinguish between American and
Kiwi/Aussie.

Sure, like you would be able to distinguish between Germans, Austrians,
Swiss, Luxemburgians, Italians and between the Spanish and Portugese and
between the different Scandinavian countries, Finland and Holland and ...

We are regularly mistaken for Germans in Spain and I don't even
speak German!
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:57 PM
The Reids

Following up to David Horne

WTF is with your brainless knee-jerk obsession with top-post
'correction' BTW...?

I had to physically move your post below his (as both were pertinent to
my follow-up) for it to make any sense. Look, I'm not interested in
teaching _you_ how to post properly when you play on usenet. Don't take
my word for it- read up on the subject- but you're not going to win
many admirers for posting the wrong way up.

perhaps hes Australian?
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Frank Slootweg

The Reids wrote:
Following up to David Horne

WTF is with your brainless knee-jerk obsession with top-post
'correction' BTW...?

I had to physically move your post below his (as both were pertinent to
my follow-up) for it to make any sense. Look, I'm not interested in
teaching _you_ how to post properly when you play on usenet. Don't take
my word for it- read up on the subject- but you're not going to win
many admirers for posting the wrong way up.

perhaps hes Australian?

No, Auusies are middle-posters: They resent (sp?) authority, but are
nice blokes and sheilas, so bottom and top are off###out (got distracted
by the 'sheilas' bit).
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM
The Reids

Following up to Frank Slootweg

but you're not going to win
many admirers for posting the wrong way up.

perhaps hes Australian?

No, Auusies are middle-posters: They resent (sp?) authority, but are
nice blokes and sheilas, so bottom and top are off

I thought only hobbits and such like middle posted?

Old July 16th, 2004, 04:29 PM
David Tyrrell

While it's a bit easier to arrange a dummy spit than a pacifier spit, Allens
would not like to know you were having a Soother spit.

"Trudi Marrapodi" wrote in message

snipped

They also say many other things differently from Midwestern Americans
(although some people in some parts of the border Midwest states have a
similar accent--Minnesota, for example). They tend to use British words
and phrases, and some that are exclusively Canadian (example: American
"pacifier" = British "dummy" = Canadian "soother").