Ireland, November Weather?

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:23 PM
stephanie haumueller

Default Ireland, November Weather?

I'm going to Ireland this November and the first part of December.
We'll be travelling the southwest and southeast coast. I'm wondering
if I should stay away from the coast because of weather? I was
thinking of going to Adare, Dingle, Ring of Kerry, Cork, Waterford,
Dublin. I know it will be cold and possible rainy but wonder if we can
avoid the harsher weather is possible.

Any recommendations would be welcome!!

email me directly:
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:10 PM
Padraig Breathnach

(stephanie haumueller) wrote:

I'm going to Ireland this November and the first part of December.
We'll be travelling the southwest and southeast coast. I'm wondering
if I should stay away from the coast because of weather? I was
thinking of going to Adare, Dingle, Ring of Kerry, Cork, Waterford,
Dublin. I know it will be cold and possible rainy but wonder if we can
avoid the harsher weather is possible.

The Dingle peninsula and the Ring of Kerry are high-risk bets. Sea
mists and rain are real possibilities. Adare is no big deal: cute,
give it an hour, and move on.

I would recommend a flexible approach, responding to weather. If it's
misty or rainy, forget scenery and enjoy some other activity, such as
visiting an urban centre or indoor attractions. Kerry is not suited
for such a strategy, as its main attraction is scenery. In my view,
the towns of Kerry are not particularly interesting.

Cork, and some of the places in range of the city, are better suited
for that time of year. Kinsale for food. Fota House and wildlife park
if the weather is okay. Day-trip to west Cork if the weather is good
for appreciating scenery. Gougane Barra, in the north-west part of the
county, is one of the most lovely spots in Ireland, especially in
winter after rain.

Waterford is only mildly interesting. Kilkenny is more attractive, and
has a good castle and an okay cathedral.

email me directly:

Not my policy -- I share with all in usenet.

PB
Old September 24th, 2003, 11:54 PM
stephanie haumueller

thank you for your advice. I feel a bit out of sorts going in November
when the weather may take a turn for the worse, but that's the way it
is! I'm sure we'll make the best of it.

What is the rain like in Ireland? I would assume it varies, but is it
more of a misty light rain? or do you get serious thunderstorms?

Also, as far as staying in a castle, do you think it's worth the
money? Or would you recommend staying in a nice manor house or farm
house? Castles are very expensive, but if it's worth the money, I'd do
it!

thanks again

Old September 25th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Padraig Breathnach

(stephanie haumueller) wrote:

thank you for your advice. I feel a bit out of sorts going in November
when the weather may take a turn for the worse, but that's the way it
is! I'm sure we'll make the best of it.

That's the right spirit. It's not like a theme park, which closes down
for the winter.

What is the rain like in Ireland? I would assume it varies, but is it
more of a misty light rain? or do you get serious thunderstorms?

It's kinda like water coming down from the sky, except when the wind
blows, when it's like water travelling laterally. Usually wet.

No, we don't have monsoon-type rain. It can vary from what we call
"soft", which is misty light rain, to a proper downpour. But usually
when we have a proper downpour, it doesn't last all day unless you are
playing golf. There might be days when you see no sun.

Also, as far as staying in a castle, do you think it's worth the
money? Or would you recommend staying in a nice manor house or farm
house? Castles are very expensive, but if it's worth the money, I'd do
it!

I'm not the person to ask; I'm Irish.

There are, I believe, castles which are reasonably affordable (as well
as the very upscale places like Ashford Castle and Drumoland). Look
for a book by Alastair Sawday: "Special Places to Stay in Ireland". If
you can't find it before you come, seek it out when you get here. At
that time of year, few places will be fully booked, so there is no
pressure to book in advance.

PB

Old September 25th, 2003, 05:23 PM
congokid

In article , stephanie
haumueller writes
thank you for your advice. I feel a bit out of sorts going in November
when the weather may take a turn for the worse, but that's the way it
is! I'm sure we'll make the best of it.

It's difficult to guarantee the weather in Ireland at any time of year.
On one holiday there about 10 years ago, I think it was in June, I had
to buy a coat in Donegal town to keep rain and wind off me. It was like
a waxed Barbour jacket, but much cheaper, and I used it for most of the
rest of the holiday.

What is the rain like in Ireland? I would assume it varies, but is it
more of a misty light rain? or do you get serious thunderstorms?

Misty light rain, which can be fine but very persistent and last most of
the day, or days. Next up would be a drizzle - just as persistent but
heavier. I think thunderstorms are rare at that time of year.

Also, as far as staying in a castle, do you think it's worth the
money? Or would you recommend staying in a nice manor house or farm
house? Castles are very expensive, but if it's worth the money, I'd do
it!

I prefer B&Bs as the newish ones are quite clean and provide a great
service at an affordable price, but I've often thought of splashing out
occasionally. They're not exactly castles, but these places would be
nice to stay in if you're in the particular area:
http://www.currarevagh.com/
http://www.adaremanor.com/
http://www.dunravenhotel.com/
http://www.ghanhouse.com/

and most do good food as well. For more check out:
http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/

I understand one of my favourites (just visited, didn't stay overnight)
Bantry House, is closed to guests until 2004.

You may find yourself staying in a lot and enjoying some of the better
pubs and restaurants. When I went, I found Egon Ronay's Guide Ireland to
be very useful, but I haven't seen a recent issue. The last appears to
have been in 1996, but it's a starting point if you can get hold of a
second hand copy.

Have a look also at:
http://www.pubhub.co.uk/index.htm
although many counties don't seem to have any entries yet.

For more try:
http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles...ons/index.shtm
which has a few selections and some more links to try.

And try entering www.'countyname'.ie, changing the bit in inverted
commas, into your browser address bar for local information. Doesn't
work for all counties, though.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old September 26th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article , Padraig
Breathnach wrote:

It's kinda like water coming down from the sky, except when the wind
blows, when it's like water travelling laterally. Usually wet.

No, we don't have monsoon-type rain. It can vary from what we call
"soft", which is misty light rain, to a proper downpour. But usually
when we have a proper downpour, it doesn't last all day unless you are
playing golf.

Those are *such* Irish answers, I had to laugh.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who