Taste of Florida?

Old October 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

Default Taste of Florida?

Sanibel... would be another good choice

A retired relative of mine visits Sanibel almost every winter. It's
ranked as one of the best places in the world for collecting sea
shells, which wash up in huge numbers on its beautiful beaches.

They also have a nice museum there devoted to sea shells:
http://www.shellmuseum.org/

Sanibel is an island that's connected to the mainland by a bridge.
It's on the western side of Florida near Fort Myers. It's a little
pricey to stay in Sanibel itself, though.

James
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

GV wrote:

We're an older couple without kids so things like Disney World doesn't
sound appealing but neither does a night-club scene. We've been to
Hawaii and we love beaches and nature but don't want to spend the whole
time lounging on a beach. I've been to Florida a couple of times but it
was many, many years ago so I don't remember much. Busch Gardens,Tampa
stands out in my mind but if I remember correctly the only ride there at
that time was a tram/monorail over an area that they called an African
veldt. That would maybe be appealing but I guess that's all turned into
a big amusement park now so it's probably not the same. Thrill rides
don't thrill us!

Yeah, the last time I went to Busch Gardens in Tampa it was free
admission and free beer and all that was there was the brewery and the
gardens. Those times are long gone.

I'm thinking that Florida's really too big to see much in just two
weeks. If so, maybe just from Orlando area down towards the Keys might
be our target area.

That's a huge area. Going to Key West is an interesting drive but when
you get there you find a horribly kitschy tourist town. The drive is
very slow since it's not a freeway and it's a busy road with lots of
traffic lights. From Orlando it's a 9-10 nine hour drive.

Up in the north central part of the state I'd visit Cedar Key,
Gainesville (Payne's Praire and Devil's Millhopper), Silver Springs, and
I'd climb Mount Dora. Orlando really has nothing. You could visit the
Tupperware factory.

That time of year it'll be cold in the central and northern parts of the
state, so then head down to South Florida for beaches. Since you don't
want the night club scene stay just north of Miami in Hollywood where
it's an older crowd and it's much nicer with the long broadwalk going
for several miles. It's high season so hotels will be a bit pricey.

Visit the Everglades. You can go in at the Shark Valley Entrance which
is on the northern edge of the national park. Take the tram ride or rent
bicycles. Across the road, outside the national park, you can take an
airboat ride.

I'd suggest this book: "http://tinyurl.com/hiddenflorida".
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:33:55 -0700, SMS wrote:

I'd suggest this book: "http://tinyurl.com/hiddenflorida".

Or, if you *really* want to know all about the hidden secrets of Florida, read
all of Tim Dorsey's novels before your vacation. 8

He makes Carl Hiaasen seem like an outsider...

-- Larry
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Jerrix Jerrix is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV View Post
Is it possible to get a good look at Florida in two weeks? I'd like to take
my wife there in January or February and just see what there is to see. She
has an aunt who lives just north of Orlando so we'd probably spend a day or
so there but other than that I'd like to have suggestions on where to go and
what to see.

We're an older couple without kids so things like Disney World doesn't sound
appealing but neither does a night-club scene. We've been to Hawaii and we
love beaches and nature but don't want to spend the whole time lounging on a
beach. I've been to Florida a couple of times but it was many, many years
ago so I don't remember much. Busch Gardens,Tampa stands out in my mind but
if I remember correctly the only ride there at that time was a tram/monorail
over an area that they called an African veldt. That would maybe be
appealing but I guess that's all turned into a big amusement park now so
it's probably not the same. Thrill rides don't thrill us!

I'm thinking that Florida's really too big to see much in just two weeks.
If so, maybe just from Orlando area down towards the Keys might be our
target area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!
This information will give me lot of help in near future.
Thanks a lot
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

If you like walking, you could easily spend a few days at WDW and not even
enter the parks
Have you been to the hotels ?
The Polynesian hotel for Breakfast
Grand Floridian for the flowers, 3pm tea,
The views from top of Contemporary after dark
Have dinner there
the Boardwalk area , Disney Marketplace
Walk thru the Caribbean hotel area, Yacht & Beach club hotels, etc
They also have educational/ backstage tours
http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/yule...ntasy-tour.htm

Some require park Admission fee - others do not.
so look them up he
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm#BackstageMagic

While some might consider these a waste, if you like the topic, you'll not
find it elsewhere.
In fact, maybe the relative has never been. If so, she can get discounted
admission for FL resident.

Are you driving to FL or flying, then renting a car ? Reason I ask : I
enjoy the drive, but if you don't, or don't want to rent a car/ "waste the
time", you CAN fly into Key West. Plan from home.
Once in downtown Key West, you won't need a car ( and will have to find a
place to park it /pay)

If you do like the beach, 'St Pete beach' ( west of Sarasota) is very
comfortable , quiet, accessible.

My favorite walking beaches are Naples and Miami's South beach. Note - FL
west coast beaches are generally shallow, so you can walk out quite a ways
and still be only knee deep. A nuisance if you like to swim, good if you
like to just wade.

At south beach, our favorite place for lunch ( or maybe a cocktail or two)
is the Pelican hotel/restaurant. ( Don't tell anyone else though.) Great
food and a good "people-watching" spot , as is the News Cafe. For Cuban
food, head over to the Versailles. there's one on Key Biscayne as well as
the original in little Havana. ( I know a lot of this is eating /drinking,
but there are LOTS of places to do so - and you're gonna do it anyways, SO I
just want you to pick the right ones.) At Miami Beach , Joe's Stone Crab is
a famous place and PINK is another place to eat - simple place but GREAT
food.
After all that - make sure you walk the beach a few times a day. Start at
beginning of beach and continue all the way up - behind the hotels on
Collins Ave. If the gate is open , go into a few . "The National" has a
pool that you'll recognize - models use it , movies too. Walk down to the
causeway and watch the cruise ships load/unload. If you're there on a day
when one's leaving it's really something to see it - How can something that
big float ? They come in get unloaded, cleaned up , then loaded BACK up (
how much food IS there ?).

If you plan to be in Miami area, be aware that Super Bowl is there in early
February, so rooms ( if you can find one) will be big bucks.

If you're driving to the Keys, in the Keys my favorite restaurant is ( was -
it's been about 6 years since we've been there but we used to go twice each
winter) Lazy Days in Islamorada at Mile maker 80 ( everything in the Keys is
referred to by its mile marker : as in "near mile marker" so-and-so).
It's a fishing area so if not into fishing maybe just a place to stop for
dinner and get a room ?? There's a Hampton Inn next door.
http://www.lazydaysrestaurant.com/ Ask to sit on back deck. At sunset. Get
the yellowtail snapper or dolphin ( alias Mahi-Mahi) : baked is good too,
but we prefer 'fried yellowtail with Corn Flakes' . It is unique and very
tasty. I HOPE they still have it ( just occurred to me in 6 yrs things might
change)

If you get to the area early, for "Happy Hour" try the Safari lounge (mm
75) at the Caloosa Cove Marina. mm75 means 75 miles to Mile Marker zero
which is in Key West ( End of Rt 1) . As you can see drinking could be a
hobby in the Keys since not much else around so I'll just mention up front.

At Key West, go to Sloppy Joe's. Yeah that 's where they came from, so if
you haven't been before, get a sloppy joe in the restaurant part , then grab
a table near the back corner ( nearest the street) to people watch for a
bit. If you plan to stay overnight ( good idea), plan in advance. In Jan /
Feb you might have a problem getting a room with a good location for one
night - book in advance. Take the old town trolley ride. If you ARE "bar
people" check out the Green Parrot too. Visit Mel Fisher's museum.

I've got tons of Keys URL's but don't want to clog up this area. If you want
something in particular ask here. As a general pointer:
http://www.florida-keys.fl.us/keywcc.htm is a good one.

"JamesStep" wrote in message
We're an older couple without kids so things like
Disney World doesn't sound appealing

Just wanted to mention that there are portions of Disney World that
can be very enjoyable for adults, and one whole area of Disney World
-- EPCOT -- is really designed mainly for adults. In fact there are
guide books specifically for adults visiting DW without kids.

in January or February...
don't want to spend the whole time
lounging on a beach.

It's a little cool for beach lounging anyway. Miami Beach, for
example, has an average high of only 75 F in January.

James