Driving in LA, bottlenecked

Old January 17th, 2010, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Richard Fangnail

Default Driving in LA, bottlenecked

I often drive into LA, the Pasadena area, on the 5 or 101, and it's
always clogged unless it's Sunday.
Do you think it would help if I got on the 210 as soon as possible,
there's wouldn't be as much traffic?
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Heckman

On 17-Jan-2010, Richard Fangnail
wrote in message
:

I often drive into LA, the Pasadena area, on the 5 or 101, and it's
always clogged unless it's Sunday.
Do you think it would help if I got on the 210 as soon as possible,
there's wouldn't be as much traffic?

I assume from this that you're coming from either the North (5) or
the West (101). In either case, the answer is "yes". From the 5,
get on the 210 between the 14 and the 405. From the 101, it
probably even makes sense to take the 118 North, then East to where
it ends at the 210.

The only hiccup is that if there's any traffic at all, there'll be
a big backup where the 210 meets the 134 and makes a right-angle
turn East. (In fact, the Eastbound 210 is really the continuation
of the 134.) If you know, or can learn, the ins and outs of the
Pasadena area, it will be faster to exit either before or after the
freeway interchange and take surface streets to rejoin the
Eastbound 210.

--
Jim Heckman
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

wrote in message
:

[...]

Can anyone explain why in northern California, if you tell someone how
to get somewhere it's along the lines of "take 280 south to 85 south to
101 south," but in southern California it's "take _the 5_ to _the_ 210
to _the_ 134? Why is _the_ necessary in southern California? In northern
California you only use _the_ if you're using the name of the freeway
rather than the number, i.e. "take the Junipero Serra Freeway south to
the West Valley Freeway south to the Bayshore freeway south." When you
first move to California it's important to learn the names of freeways
since many of the traffic reports on the radio will refer to names, not
numbers.
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Steven Scharf:
Can anyone explain why in northern California, if you tell someone how
to get somewhere it's along the lines of "take 280 south to 85 south to
101 south," but in southern California it's "take _the 5_ to _the_ 210
to _the_ 134?

I suspect it's because in southern California they had freeways with
names first, so people got used to saying "the Harbor Freeway" and
so on, and the "the" usage got extended to other roads.

The other part of North America where you get this usage is here in
southern Ontario. And here, for many years the highest-grade road
around was "the Queen Elizabeth Way", which has never had a number.
So today people might take "the QE" to "the 427" to "the 401".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The walls have hearsay."
-- Fonseca & Carolino

Old January 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Runge11

Umm well try the 501

groupe de discussion :

Old January 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Mark Brader wrote in article
:

Steven Scharf:
Can anyone explain why in northern California, if you tell someone how
to get somewhere it's along the lines of "take 280 south to 85 south to
101 south," but in southern California it's "take _the 5_ to _the_ 210
to _the_ 134?

Northern and southern accents/dialects. California's so big we have
trouble talking to each other.

I suspect it's because in southern California they had freeways with
names first, so people got used to saying "the Harbor Freeway" and
so on, and the "the" usage got extended to other roads.

Indeed. The first (in the world, maybe--1940) was The Arroyo Seco
Parkway, now the Pasadena Freeway. Locals still use the names more
than the numbers--that's how we identify the newcomers to the area.

Old January 20th, 2010, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Mark Brader wrote:
Steven Scharf:
Can anyone explain why in northern California, if you tell someone how
to get somewhere it's along the lines of "take 280 south to 85 south to
101 south," but in southern California it's "take _the 5_ to _the_ 210
to _the_ 134?

I suspect it's because in southern California they had freeways with
names first, so people got used to saying "the Harbor Freeway" and
so on, and the "the" usage got extended to other roads.

Well the freeways up here have names too, "the Nimitz," "the Bayshore,"
and "the James Lick," but when you use the number of the road you drop
the "the."

Actually even the freeways that are commonly referred to by numbers all
have names that are rarely used. I'd like to see some traffic announcer
decide to use only names one day, "the Luther Gibson has no delays."
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 19 Jan 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, Don Kirkman wrote:

Indeed. The first (in the world, maybe--1940) was The Arroyo Seco
Parkway, now the Pasadena Freeway.

Robert Moses was building parkways around New York City in the 1930s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...Parkway_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses#Influence

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Joe Makowiec wrote in article
5:

On 19 Jan 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, Don Kirkman wrote:

Indeed. The first (in the world, maybe--1940) was The Arroyo Seco
Parkway, now the Pasadena Freeway.

Robert Moses was building parkways around New York City in the 1930s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...Parkway_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses#Influence

You're right, of course, but the Arroyo Seco was the first in
California.
--
Don Kirkman

Old January 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:19:02 -0800, SMS
wrote:

Mark Brader wrote:
Steven Scharf:
Can anyone explain why in northern California, if you tell someone how
to get somewhere it's along the lines of "take 280 south to 85 south to
101 south," but in southern California it's "take _the 5_ to _the_ 210
to _the_ 134?

I suspect it's because in southern California they had freeways with
names first, so people got used to saying "the Harbor Freeway" and
so on, and the "the" usage got extended to other roads.

Well the freeways up here have names too, "the Nimitz," "the Bayshore,"
and "the James Lick," but when you use the number of the road you drop
the "the."

Actually even the freeways that are commonly referred to by numbers all
have names that are rarely used. I'd like to see some traffic announcer
decide to use only names one day, "the Luther Gibson has no delays."

Wehn I lived near San Francisco I used to hear traffic reports
about the James Lick Freeway...