Olympic lanes

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
NM

Default Olympic lanes

On Jul 13, 9:33*am, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:04:00 +0200

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:34:53 GMT, Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:43:42 +0000, boltar2003 wrote:

Because we're the ones having to put up with all the **** from this 10
billion quid ego fest? They've already rephased the lights on some major
roads like the A13 and A2 and caused traffic chaos "to test the system".
They don't seem to be in a hurry to switch the test off however.

They probably never will. Don't forget, the dogma of "public transport"
means that nothing must ever be done to make a car journey easier or
quicker. I'm pretty certain this has been publicly admitted on a few
occasions. Pedestrian and main traffic lights are *deliberately* set to
cause traffic backups. And *still* they haven't taken the hint that no-
one, but no-one wants to use public transport.

UK commuter *trains are over saturated. How do you explain that?

There's a difference between having to use it and wanting to use it.
I used to use the tube every day because I didn't have much choice as I
worked in central london. However now I work in west london I drive to work
because even though my office is only 300 metres from a tube station the car
is just a damn sight more pleasent and less stressful.

B2003

I'm sure your thinking is mainstream on that one, how can anyone enjoy
PT, traveling with the great unwashed in filthy cramped conditions,
from somewhere not where you started out from to somewhere not exacty
where you want to end up, at a time that is not necessarily convenient
and paying through the nose for it. masochists IMO.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Mike.. . . .

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:45:33 +0100, Mike.. . . .
wrote:

However, everybody is saying avoid from the 15th *and* we have seen
warning signs about the lanes in central London that quote dates
before the 25th.

"http://camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/news/2012/april/russell-square-olympic-information-sessions.en;jsessionid=1A5FAC1EB4909E025F69CB07570 12C45"

"What is the media transport hub?

The media transport hub will be located in and around Russell Square
and operated by LOCOG. The hub is the pick up and drop off area, which
will be used by accredited media who are staying in accommodation
around Bloomsbury, to travel to and from Olympic venues by shuttle
bus. Approximately 5,000 people will use the hub on the busiest days
of the Games.

When will the media transport hub operate?
The hub will operate between 10 July and 15 August 2012. Some
restrictions will be in place shortly before, during and after this
period. "

Beginning to get the truth, TFL and Boris were on BBC London this am,
turned into shouting match with a chauffeur. Theres going to be masses
of journos going back and forth because they are based in Blooomsbury,
where i'm sure its very nice, rather than Hackney.
We saw people carriers (not "buses") usually with one passenger!

We expereinced the start of the changes yesterday, traffic light
changes and Kingsway tunnel reversed flow. Queues at lights on A2 in
middle of day for no reason other than the lights AFAICT.

God help anybody who has to drive in from now till September.
--
Mike... . . . .
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:45:33 PM UTC+1, Mike..... wrote:
ORN

"The Olympic Route Network (ORN) will enable athletes and VIPs to
arrive promptly at their events by improving traffic flow on these
routes. Maps showing the impact of Olympic activities on the London
road network can be seen on the TfL website."

TFL maps say the lanes close to non Olympic traffic on 27th July

"When will the ORN/PRN operate?
The ORN and Games Lanes will begin operating on Wednesday 25 July, and
will end on Tuesday 14 August. "

However, everybody is saying avoid from the 15th *and* we have seen
warning signs about the lanes in central London that quote dates
before the 25th.

The question

So what exactly is happening from the 15th that we need to avoid? Just
a bit more traffic from preparations or is it more serious? Nobody
seems to say.

(anybody who has to drive into central london, like lift engineers,
are going to enjoy sitting behind buses in the one remaining non
olympic lane (from places like the Limehouse tunnel right into central
london)
--
Mike... . . . .

"Construction finished some time ago, hence the slow down. "

Nope - urgent repairs are still being carried out, e.g. on the M4, major route from Heathrow to London! :-))
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
[email protected]

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 01:55:50 -0700 (PDT)
NM wrote:
I'm sure your thinking is mainstream on that one, how can anyone enjoy
PT, traveling with the great unwashed in filthy cramped conditions,
from somewhere not where you started out from to somewhere not exacty
where you want to end up, at a time that is not necessarily convenient
and paying through the nose for it. masochists IMO.

Indeed. I've completely given up taking the main line train anywhere now. Its
just not worth the hassle of getting to the final destination at the other
end from the station aside from the inevitable delays. Plus the prices are an
utter joke. The only exception I'd make is for Eurostar/eurotunnel.

I did actually travel on the tube on wednesday to accompany my wife part
of the way on her journey to a new job. I've now got a cold. Not only is
it slow and unpleasent, its also a disease factory. And it cost me 3.60
for the priviledge of going 12 miles.

B2003

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Mike.. . . .

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:04:00 +0200, Martin wrote:

And *still* they haven't taken the hint that no-
one, but no-one wants to use public transport.

UK commuter trains are over saturated. How do you explain that?

late of alternatives for London. £10 congestion charge + pounds per
hour parking + huge traffic queues to drive in. You use the train
because you have to. PT is only way for large numbers all going to
same place at same time. For the rest, cars.
--
Mike... . . . .
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Mike.. . . .

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:41:57 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

That's simply not true.

It tends to say much about the person making the statement.

I use PT a lot round London. Generally, journey times are less than by car
- and you don't have the problem of trying to park.

so do I, in London or anywhere similar. But I dont enjoy it. It's a
negative on planning anything in London, like most people, I would
rather drive.
--
Mike... . . . .
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Dave Plowman

In article
,
NM wrote:
On Jul 12, 6:46 pm, Clive George wrote:
On 12/07/2012 17:34, Jethro_uk wrote:

And *still* they haven't taken the hint that no-
one, but no-one wants to use public transport.

That's simply not true.

I suspect those who choose to take it, as opposed to those who have no
other choice, are a small minority.

Not in London - or, I'd guess, in other large cities. It's one thing
driving to a destination - another parking. The majority of my neighbours
use PT to go to work - despite owning one or more cars.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW 12

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Dave Plowman

In article
,
NM wrote:

I'm sure your thinking is mainstream on that one, how can anyone enjoy
PT, traveling with the great unwashed in filthy cramped conditions,

All that shows is you know nothing about PT. Excepting that it will be
'cramped' in rush hour. But then, so are the roads.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW 12

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Dave Plowman

In article ,
wrote:
I did actually travel on the tube on wednesday to accompany my wife part
of the way on her journey to a new job. I've now got a cold. Not only is
it slow

Are you trying to say travelling by car is quicker than tube during the
rush hour?

and unpleasent , its also a disease factory.

I take it you spend all of your life in a sealed room so as not to mix
with others?

And it cost me 3.60 for the priviledge of going 12 miles.

Quite right too - designed to fleece casual users who know no better.

BTW, have you any idea of the true costs of running a car per mile?

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW 12

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Mike.. . . .

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:18:50 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

I'm sure your thinking is mainstream on that one, how can anyone enjoy
PT, traveling with the great unwashed in filthy cramped conditions,

All that shows is you know nothing about PT. Excepting that it will be
'cramped' in rush hour. But then, so are the roads.

most people prefer a private space that goes door to door over being
under others control to go *near* where you want to be *near* the time
you want in the company of people you might not want to be near and
without means of carrying stuff easily, it will always be so. Public
policy ignores the fact. Maybe I know "nothing about PT" too? (I've
used it into work all my life, I've tried usung it at weekends to do
walks - I soon stopped).
--
Mike... . . . .