Brooklyn Welcomes Cruise Ships!

Old April 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Brooklyn Welcomes Cruise Ships!

Hi Everyone,

I have learned that starting in April 2006 Carnival Corporation’s P&O
Princess Cruises International division will relocate all New York
calls to the new Brooklyn cruise terminal. This division includes
Princess and Cunard. Manhattan will no longer be used. The initial
ships will be the Queen Mary 2 & the new Crown Princess. This move
will relieve the congestion at the Manhattan cruise piers. If you
have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my web
site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Ray Goldenberg wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have learned that starting in April 2006 Carnival Corporation’s P&O
Princess Cruises International division will relocate all New York
calls to the new Brooklyn cruise terminal. This division includes
Princess and Cunard. Manhattan will no longer be used. The initial
ships will be the Queen Mary 2 & the new Crown Princess.

This is what I read in Cruise News Daily yesterday and posted about in
a different thread. Getting the info from you, a second source, I
guess it is really true.

This move
will relieve the congestion at the Manhattan cruise piers.

Yeah, it will relieve the congestion in Manhattan, but for those of us
coming from New Jersey, it is going to be a pain getting there. The
route we will have to take is usually congested no matter what time of
the day you are there.

sue

Old April 15th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Karen Segboer wrote:

Ray Goldenberg wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have learned that starting in April 2006 Carnival Corporation’s P&O
Princess Cruises International division will relocate all New York
calls to the new Brooklyn cruise terminal. This division includes
Princess and Cunard. Manhattan will no longer be used. The initial
ships will be the Queen Mary 2 & the new Crown Princess. This move
will relieve the congestion at the Manhattan cruise piers.

I wonder if this is a permanent arrangement?

Since they are builing a new, expensive, state-of-the-art terminal, I
would think that it is a permanent arrangement. The terminal is being
built to be able to handle ships of this size.

sue
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Don & Lynn

I'm glad we were on a cruise last Nov. that spent the day docked in
Manhattan. That's part of the charm. You look up and there is the Empire
State building. It was a Sunday and I talked to a lady who walked to St.
Patrick's with her group and attended mass. These things are priceless.
Don

Old April 15th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Benjamin Smith

Don & Lynn wrote:
I'm glad we were on a cruise last Nov. that spent the day docked in
Manhattan. That's part of the charm. You look up and there is the Empire
State building. It was a Sunday and I talked to a lady who walked to St.
Patrick's with her group and attended mass. These things are priceless.
Don

I agree. Sailing in to or out of NYC with the usual landmarks, Statue of
Liberty, Ellis Island, BMW bridges, Empire State, is part of the NYC
experience. Embarkation was a disaster in the NYC piers and I wish that
these were upgraded and made state of the art. Not seeing QM2 anymore in
Manhattan or going to Liberty Park to watch the ship sail is a big loss.

Ben S.

Old April 15th, 2005, 04:43 PM
shoreguy

That's a shame. Part of the wonder of cruising to or from NYC is that trip
past the Statue of Liberty and up the Hudson to midtown. I still remember
the first time. Many of the crew gathered on the bow and were as overwhelmed
as we were.

Old April 15th, 2005, 05:01 PM
D Ball

Personally, I think this is very short-sighted. Surely there's a huge
percentage of folks in the hinterlands of America like me who view the
emotional draw of sailing by the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc. as
the primary reason to cruise out of NYC? Our family will definitely choose a
line that ports on the Hudson....

Old April 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM
D Ball

Posting to myself, LOL. Maybe the ships could feature a champagne sunset
sailaway around the island, up the Hudson, turnaround and back out, kinda
like a grand version of the Circle Line or whatever it's called?!