What is the implication of not particiating with a muster drill?

Old February 12th, 2006, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default What is the implication of not particiating with a musterdrill?

On carnival liberty in jan.they also took roll call by cabin #'s

(.a cruise lover.)

Old February 12th, 2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
On carnival liberty in jan.they also took roll call by cabin #'s

(.a cruise lover.)

In the NTSB report on the Ecstasy fire back in 1998, they took roll by doing
a head count at the muster station. They also do a cabin check to make sure
everyone is out of their rooms. Nothing I've seen on my seven Carnival
cruises indicates they've changed.

--
I'm Tom Smith, and I approved this message.

Old February 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was on a HAL cruise on a Halloween week in 2004. I don't
recall the mandatory drill or roll call by cabin number. Perhaps
Halloween was an exception, huh? In Halloween costume,
the crew couldn't possibly tell who's there and who isn't. :-)

As for missing a drill...the captain and cruise line are accountable (in
the
USA) to the Coast Guard for compliance. And there are likely liability
issues involved.

That's a good point. Perhaps the country of registry of the ships
and their locations in internationnal waters have much to do with
their accountability to the USA coast guards.

-- Bob.

I was on rccl just before xmas and was standing on my balcony in my life
jacket waiting to hear the muster call in my room. I was watching a Coast
Guard cutter sitting off the port side watching the muster. I guess he was
watching me as well as I was him. The room steward came and got us and we
were checked off a list when we finally showed at muster. Some people didn't
look too happy that we were late. Had I been able to hear the call I would
have been there on time.
GaryZ

Old February 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

GARY Z wrote:
"Reef Fish" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was on rccl just before xmas and was standing on my balcony in my life
jacket waiting to hear the muster call in my room. Had I been able to hear the call I would
have been there on time.

Now this I find hard to believe. The muster announcements are blaring.
I mean, BLARING! How can one not hear them??? Not to mention the
every-five-minute announcements leading up to the start of the drill.

Lee

GaryZ

Old February 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"LeeNY" wrote in message
oups.com...
GARY Z wrote:
"Reef Fish" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was on rccl just before xmas and was standing on my balcony in my life
jacket waiting to hear the muster call in my room. Had I been able to
hear the call I would
have been there on time.

Now this I find hard to believe. The muster announcements are blaring.
I mean, BLARING! How can one not hear them??? Not to mention the
every-five-minute announcements leading up to the start of the drill.

Lee

GaryZ

Plus the time of the drill is clearly marked on the daily information
sheets. You don't need to wait for the announcement to go to your station.

Brenda

Old February 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

While Maritime law dictates compliance of this law, the managing of the
process is something the Cruise Line is held accountable for. They have
records that are regularly checked, and if out of compliance (100%
participation in muster drills), they will be fined by the US
Coastguard.

As someone else mentioned earlier, Disney Cruise Lines is by far the
most compliant - they will not set sail until 100% of the passengers
have reached their muster stations. A close second would be RCCL,
Celebrity, and Carnival. While the results of the muster compliance are
not in public domain, the reality is that more than 98% of passengers
take this seriously.

For those that do not hear, or those that blatantly skip the muster
station, I truly hope you do not find yourself in an emergency
situation holding up passengers by asking questions on where you need
to go. Not only am I an avid traveler, I too am in this industry
sending thousands of happy clients on cruises each year - I will never
encourage any of them to skip a muster station. In fact, I tell them it
may be the best 20 minutes of of their time.

I hope none of you find yourself need to use the knowledge you learn
while going through the drill, but for those of you that don't find
this very important, I hope you can read the instructions behind your
door and that you can compose yourself if ever faced with an emergency
aboard a ship.

Happy Sailing to all!

Chris

www.clcruises.com
LeeNY wrote:
GARY Z wrote:
oups.com...

Old February 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:
While Maritime law dictates compliance of this law, the managing of the
process is something the Cruise Line is held accountable for. They have
records that are regularly checked, and if out of compliance (100%
participation in muster drills), they will be fined by the US
Coastguard.

If this is true, then RCCL owes the Coast Guard some money.

As someone else mentioned earlier, Disney Cruise Lines is by far the
most compliant - they will not set sail until 100% of the passengers
have reached their muster stations. A close second would be RCCL,
Celebrity, and Carnival. While the results of the muster compliance are
not in public domain, the reality is that more than 98% of passengers
take this seriously.

For those that do not hear, or those that blatantly skip the muster
station, I truly hope you do not find yourself in an emergency
situation holding up passengers by asking questions on where you need
to go. Not only am I an avid traveler, I too am in this industry
sending thousands of happy clients on cruises each year - I will never
encourage any of them to skip a muster station. In fact, I tell them it
may be the best 20 minutes of of their time.

What about a different situation? Where you wanted to go, but were told
by ship staff not to. And you were then assigned crew quarters with
absolutely no idea where to go in the event of an emergency?

I hope none of you find yourself need to use the knowledge you learn
while going through the drill, but for those of you that don't find
this very important, I hope you can read the instructions behind your
door and that you can compose yourself if ever faced with an emergency
aboard a ship.

Funny thing about crew quarters; they don't have those instructions
posted on the doors!
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

www.clcruises.com
LeeNY wrote:
GARY Z wrote:
"Reef Fish" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was on rccl just before xmas and was standing on my balcony in my
life
jacket waiting to hear the muster call in my room. Had I been able to
hear the call I would
have been there on time.

Now this I find hard to believe. The muster announcements are blaring.
I mean, BLARING! How can one not hear them??? Not to mention the
every-five-minute announcements leading up to the start of the drill.

Lee

GaryZ

Sorry to tag on here, but Lee's post didn't come through on our server.
Neither my son nor I heard anything from within our room. I didn't hear it
on the balcony either. I don't really know what I was listening for as it
was
our first cruise. A loud horn perhaps. We heard no announcements the entire
cruise from within our room. If we happened to be in the hallways at the
time
an announcement came over, we could hear it. Nothing inside of our room
though.
Seriously.
GaryZ

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article U75If.38619$JT.17136@fed1read06, PastaLover
wrote:

What about a different situation? Where you wanted to go, but were told
by ship staff not to. And you were then assigned crew quarters with
absolutely no idea where to go in the event of an emergency?

That is because as crew it doesn't matter! You are going down with the
ship!

--
Charles
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

PastaLover wrote in news:U75If.38619$JT.17136
@fed1read06:

Funny thing about crew quarters; they don't have those instructions
posted on the doors!

But then crew is expected to be a part ofthe muster drill and if not the
passenger drill then the more extensive crew drill held a separate time
usually while pax are ashore.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations