Caribbean cruise questions (USVI Nat'l Park question)???

Old February 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean,rec.travel.cruises

Default Caribbean cruise questions (USVI Nat'l Park question)???

For our honeymoon, we are taking a cruise ship to St. Thomas/St. Johns. We
would like to get a stamp in our Nat'l Parks Passport books. The park has
sent me the
basic info (maps, some inserts, etc.). Does anyone here have any info on
this park? Things to see and do?

Thanks.

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean,rec.travel.cruises

"Ryan" wrote:

For our honeymoon, we are taking a cruise ship to St. Thomas/St. Johns. We
would like to get a stamp in our Nat'l Parks Passport books. The park has
sent me the
basic info (maps, some inserts, etc.). Does anyone here have any info on
this park? Things to see and do?

Probably the stamps will be at the park Headquarters in St. John.
(the nitpickers like myself will tell you that there's no S on St.
John). I do not think that you will have time from the cruise ship to
take advantage of anything in the park except the beach or maybe some
hiking trails.

grandma Rosalie
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean,rec.travel.cruises

"Ryan" wrote in message
For our honeymoon, we are taking a cruise ship to St. Thomas/St. Johns.
We
would like to get a stamp in our Nat'l Parks Passport books. The park has
sent me the
basic info (maps, some inserts, etc.). Does anyone here have any info on
this park? Things to see and do?

Thanks.

Trunk Bay on St. John has a US National Park Entrance. They sell the season
passes, etc. You should be able to get your book stamped there.

--Tom

Old February 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean,rec.travel.cruises

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
I do not think that you will have time from the cruise ship to
take advantage of anything in the park except the beach or maybe some
hiking trails.

That would be enough. I think we get around 10 hours or so.

Old February 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean,rec.travel.cruises

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Ryan" wrote:

For our honeymoon, we are taking a cruise ship to St. Thomas/St. Johns.
We
would like to get a stamp in our Nat'l Parks Passport books. The park has
sent me the
basic info (maps, some inserts, etc.). Does anyone here have any info on
this park? Things to see and do?

Probably the stamps will be at the park Headquarters in St. John.
(the nitpickers like myself will tell you that there's no S on St.
John). I do not think that you will have time from the cruise ship to
take advantage of anything in the park except the beach or maybe some
hiking trails.

grandma Rosalie

Picking grandma's nits There is a St. John's, the capitol city of
Antigua. Unfortunately, many people still refer to the USVI island as "St.
Johns".

To answer the original question, there is an excellent hike from the ferry
dock at St. John (take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie rather than from Red
Hook) into the park. You can scale Mt. Marylyn (less than 800' high) for an
eye-popping view of the surrounding USVI and BVI. There's plenty of unique
flora and fauna to see on the hiking trail, including an aloe vera cactus
the size of a Volkswagen. This hike descents to Caneel Bay, one of the
loveliest stretches of beach I have ever seen.

Don't miss the ferry back to CA, as the ship will not wait for you