flight to Sydney

Old November 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default flight to Sydney

HI there,

I'll be travelling from Brussels to Sydney in a few months and would
like an opinion on whether to go with BA/Qantas, Virgin Atlantic or
possibly SIngapore Airlines (higher ticket price).

Last year I flew Qantas and wasn't extremely happy with the service,
wonder if its worth going with one of the other airlines. Qantas flew
via Bangkok while Virgin Atlantic goes via Tokyo -- is that airport any
better? Didn't particularly like the several hours wait at Bangkok
airport where there was absolutely nothing to see.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Peter

Old November 28th, 2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker[_1_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
HI there,

I'll be travelling from Brussels to Sydney in a few months and would
like an opinion on whether to go with BA/Qantas, Virgin Atlantic or
possibly SIngapore Airlines (higher ticket price).

Singapore owns 49% of Virgin; both have decent service. All carriers are
painful in the legroom department in Economy Class, though.

Last year I flew Qantas and wasn't extremely happy with the service,
wonder if its worth going with one of the other airlines. Qantas flew
via Bangkok while Virgin Atlantic goes via Tokyo -- is that airport any
better? Didn't particularly like the several hours wait at Bangkok
airport where there was absolutely nothing to see.

Actually, there's a brand new airport in Bangkok which is much nicer than
the old one. Notwithstanding this, I don't know that Bangkok is one of my
fav's.

Frankly, I would think Qantas/BA would be the easiest choice to take.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Peter

Old November 28th, 2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air
RAK

wrote in message
ups.com...
HI there,

I'll be travelling from Brussels to Sydney in a few months and would
like an opinion on whether to go with BA/Qantas, Virgin Atlantic or
possibly SIngapore Airlines (higher ticket price).

Last year I flew Qantas and wasn't extremely happy with the service,
wonder if its worth going with one of the other airlines. Qantas flew
via Bangkok while Virgin Atlantic goes via Tokyo -- is that airport any
better? Didn't particularly like the several hours wait at Bangkok
airport where there was absolutely nothing to see.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Peter

My favourite for flying UK to Australia/NZ is Singapore but that is for
reasons that may not all interest you:
- I find their frequent flyer program easily the best. Points earned on
virtually all tickets. I get 25% extra points as a frequent flyer and 2
flights to Oz/NZ is just about enough for a UK-SE Asia redemption ticket if
I book on the net. And redemption is easy, unlike Qantas, Thai, etc.
- Excellent in-flight entertainment. Only matched by Emirates in my
experience though others may have caught up.
- In recent years they have offered a cheap side-trip from Singapore to
anywhere in the SE Asia region (and may as far as China) for UK-Oz/NZ
tickets. I think they are £50 or US$50; one year they were free. These are
not well advertised, you may have to ask for them. A good deal to visit say
Bali or Vietnam if you have time.
- They have daytime flights from Singapore to UK which I much prefer to
overnights.
- If you are flying straight through to Oz then Singapore airport is a great
one to change planes - get a shower & change clothes, maybe do some shopping
if there is enough time.

My 2nd favourite = Emirates, similar good service and movies.

Are the Virgin flights on their planes or a codeshare on someone else's
planes? I think the SQ London-Sin flights are a Virgin codeshare on SQ
planes; maybe you could get a better price from Virgin on that route.

I am not a Qantas or BA fan after some appalling service from groundstaff,
and I also find they have mediocre FF schemes. I would also look at
Malaysian and Cathay. And maybe Ethihad and Qatar if they fly as far as Oz.

Look out for "sales" in January. I usually buy an SQ ticket to Asia or Oz in
January. The sale prices start around 10th January I think, after the main
holiday rush. Some other airlines do the same.