Carry-ons (Opinions?)

Old January 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Carry-ons (Opinions?)

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...
Mark Hewett said:
I've had to wait in excess of 40 minutes after the
plane has landed, before my bag actually shows up

I'm sure that happens but I've seldom had to wait at all as the last
thing I do at an airport is get my bag.

Happens to me internationally all the time, even with a Priority luggage tag
based on status with my airline.

Cintronella asked:
Well, why don't you check the Airline's liabilty for checked
baggage???

Don't have to. I know what it is. If I were all that concerned, I'd
insure the bag's contents.

I carry on my computer, PDA, MP3 player, Movie camera, and
Digital camera. Typically I have a rolling computer case that goes
in overhead bin and a small backpack full of misc. electonic junk.

Why? Airplanes have a broad selection of music in their earphones.

You can't be serious. The selection is limited and, more importantly, the
selections are _short_. Even if there were a channel I'd want to listen to
(and there seldom is), I need more than 90 minutes of programming on a 9
hour flight.

Airline earphones are also of relatively poor quality. I'll take my Bose
QuietComfort II noise cancellers anytime.

Is
your taste so refined that you can't listen to the generally insipid
faire available on 'planes?

Yes, that's right. My taste is so refined that I'd prefer to listen to
music that I'd prefer to listen to. My MP3 player is roughly the size of 10
CDs stacked together (not the cases -- just the CDs). It weighs a couple of
ounces and will play for 22 hours on its rechargable batteries. It holds
more than 600 hours of music, and the sound is much higher quality than any
plane's sound system. Why in the world would I not take it with me?

Many flights present motion pictures
(usually ones I wouldn't go out to see)

I never watch movies on a plane, even assuming it was a film I had a mild
interest in seeing (and it rarely is). The screens are too small, and the
films are edited both for time and content.

and what are you going to
photograph during a flight? The clouds? Yes, I can understand a camera
to shoot scenes from a 'plane.

Perhaps you carry little disposable cameras. I don't. My camcorder and
still camera, with gear, costs close to $5,000. I will not ever check this
gear. NEVER. However, since my carryons conform to airline requirements,
why do you care at all what I carry?

I'd love to check them, never use them during flights except the
MP3 player, but don't dare put them in checked baggage. I would,
but not if it means I'm gambling with loosing the entire value of
every item.

If don't have the data in your computer at least two other places,
such as on a disk in your locker at work and another at a friend's or
relative's home, you're a fool! If you lose your computer and your
house burns while you're away, you've lost it all.

What is that supposed to mean? My data is backed up all over the place.
How does that help me if my laptop gets stolen on my way to my destination
where I will need it?

Evelyn C. Leeper said:
Or because twice the airlines have failed to send my luggage on
the same flight as me.

It's happened to me four or five times, once going to Medellín rather
than Bogotá from Panama City. It had been opened by customs and, in
that country where you're constantly warned about thieves, nothing was
missing! It happened to be on the second day at the first major stop
on my nine-week trip to South America.

So, let's see -- two times you didn't have a problem. Therefore you
extrapolate that no one ever has a problem. Try again.

It's happened when the bag was brought to my home. And to my hotels,
etc.

I wear a suit and tie when flying.

Good for you. I wear casual clothes when flying, partly for my own comfort
and partly so I don't look rumpled when I get where I'm going.

My bag not arriving with me is
certainly an angering inconvenience, but not a major one.

And, of course, the operative word in the above sentence is "me." If you
want to travel without carryons, feel free. Don't, for a minute, presume
that the way you travel is the way everyone should travel.

Banty, having not learned to use the "Delete" key,
inconsiderately quoted the whole damn thread to say:
You're right

and

I haven't disagreed with ya.

I'm going to a dance convention in Monterey tomorrow and probably have
sixty pounds of stuff in the car. When I fly to a dance convention, I
get it all in one suitcase that usually weighs in lighter than 43
pounds, dress suit included.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Old January 15th, 2004, 07:34 PM
XOR

"Jim Davis Sr." wrote in message m...
"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Evelyn C.

Leeper
says...

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...

"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

I don't understand why people burden themselves on the long walks to
and from the gangways and then trouble their fellow passengers by
blocking an aisle. I just don't get it. When they're a bit early have
have to go to the toilet, they ask strangers to "watch my bag" not
knowing whether that stranger is going to disappear with it. I just
don't get it.

Because quite often I've had to wait in excess of 40 minutes after the

plane
has landed, before my bag actually shows up. If I could get away with

just
hang baggage when I go on a flight. I would do that!

If you're on a business trip and the time is critical - then pack lighter.

Wear
clothing passable for your business in case there is a problem. If you're
moving or have acquired some largish items, ship stuff. If you're

travelling on
pleasure, the first step to pleasure would be to learn how to relax and

stop
counting minutes at the baggage carousel.

Or because twice the airlines have failed to send my luggage on the same
flight as me.

Twice out of how many flights? And did they or did they not get the bags

to you
within a day?

Occasionally happens to me too. Usually Arrives at my Hotel within 6 hours.
I prefer them to misplace it when I'm going home. I don't have to lug it
home, and they deliver it to my door in a few hours.

heh, one time when I had both of my 2 70lb* bags delayed,I was rather
glad after the fact when they were delivered to my doorstep as I
realised I didn't have to carry them myself, though I felt sorry for
the delivery guys.

However, I had to wait more than 24 hrs for them. I don't think I've
ever received my delayed luggage within 6 hrs! One time I had to wait
more than 48 hrs (there's only one flight 3x per week), but that was
just a small bag...and fortunately I'd packed the food (cheeses) into
the other small bag which *did* arrive with me. Most often, after an
evening arrival, it's been the next day, in the afternoon. For that
length of time, I at least want to carry with me a change of
undergarments and toiletries. It's happened to me enough times -
maybe I just have bad luck - that I prefer to be prepared.
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Miguel Cruz

PTRAVEL wrote:
I never watch movies on a plane, even assuming it was a film I had a mild
interest in seeing (and it rarely is). The screens are too small, and the
films are edited both for time and content.

Sort of a diversion in the topic, but on a United flight last month I
noticed that about half the movies were labeled as having been edited, and
half of them not.

I watched a couple that were not, and they included "bad" words, etc., so
I'm not sure what they were editing out of the others. Anyone know?

Also, on Singapore Air, they don't appear to edit the movies at all, which
is refreshing. Though of course they may restrict their selection to movies
that they wouldn't feel inclined to edit.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Doug Weller

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:59:53 GMT, mimi wrote:

wrote in message
Now that I'm a cyborg, I am tied to the bag with the CPAP, the battery
backup and meds, in which other trivia now resides (like one change of
clothing and the laptop).

Say, what do you do for distilled water for the CPC machine?

CPAP machines don't use water -- I'm not sure what a CPC machine is.

Doug
Old January 15th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Me

In article
,
Hilary wrote:

I travel for business, and check my tools & suitcase. I carry on my
Computer Case. I can't believe the amount of things that people try to
stuff into the overheads. If I put my case under the seat, I have to sit
with my legs in my chest. It goes up. I'll move it in an unusual
circumstance, but not for the half dozen people toting 2 or 3 fairly
large
bags. And no matter what people think, the Airlines DON'T enforce the 1
bag
rule.

Believe it or not, I actually have been on two flights on AW where the
FAs have enforced the 1 bag and personal item rule. If I can check it,
I always do, and in the situation that it is not possible, then it
*almost* always goes under the seat - but I typically don't need the
extra leg room.

You're allowed one carryon, one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop),
coat, umbrella and usually a duty-free bag as well.

People who carry on photograph equipment are also allowed one camera bag
in addition to what you listed. This is a relatively new rule.
Old January 15th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Me

In article ,
(Icono Clast) wrote:

"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:
What's your opinion on carry-ons.
I travel for business, and check my tools & suitcase. I carry on my
Computer Case. I can't believe the amount of things that people try to
stuff into the overheads. If I put my case under the seat, I have to sit
with my legs in my chest. It goes up. I'll move it in an unusual
circumstance, but not for the half dozen people toting 2 or 3 fairly large
bags. And no matter what people think, the Airlines DON'T enforce the 1 bag
rule.

I don't carry ANY thing 'cept maybe something to read.

I don't understand why people burden themselves on the long walks to
and from the gangways and then trouble their fellow passengers by
blocking an aisle. I just don't get it. When they're a bit early have
have to go to the toilet, they ask strangers to "watch my bag" not
knowing whether that stranger is going to disappear with it. I just
don't get it.

It is all a matter of personal preference. I almost ways travel with
my photography gear and my laptop. That's about $5,000 worth of stuff
and there is no way I would allow that much valuable equipment to go
in my checked luggage considering how rough luggage is treated and how
unsecure it is.

My laptop ways about five pounts. Add another five pounds for my laptop's
accessories and it is no big deal for me to carry in the backpack that
I use to transport my laptop. I just sling it on my back and away I go.
My camera gear goes in my camera bag which is also no big deal to sling
around my shoulder.

I also travel with a grocery bag that has a magazine or two in it and
a few snacks, along with a liter of water. Again, no big deal. I have
no trouble transporting my carry-on stuff through the airport. Maybe
when I get to be a senior citizen, there might be a problem, but that's
quite a few years off. And I take all of about two minutes to stowe
my stuff in the overhead bin and under the seat in front of me. Again,
its simply not a big deal. When I arrive at my destination, I almost
always wait for all the other passengers to disembark so I can get my
stuff from the overhead bin without getting in anyone else's way. The
only time I rush to deboard a flight is when I have to run to a
connecting flight, but that doesn't happen often.
Old January 15th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Me

In article ,
"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

I like the Shoe thing. We have to have our shoes inspected because some
nimrod had explosives in his shoes. Think of what will happen if they find
a guy with a stick of dynamite up his ass. (They already have the rubber
gloves)

Actually, only shoes that have metal components are searched. I solved
the problem by wearing sneakers onboard flights. I have never, not once,
had my shoes inspected because they contain no metal at all and I travel
about three times a year on average. My previous flight was about one
month ago and my next one will be in early March with another trip
probably later in March so I am not an infrequent flyer.
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Carlos Rodriguez

"Jim Davis Sr." wrote in message
Here's a question for discussion;
What's your opinion on carry-ons.
I travel for business, and check my tools & suitcase. I carry on my
Computer Case. I can't believe the amount of things that people try to
stuff into the overheads. If I put my case under the seat, I have to sit
with my legs in my chest. It goes up. I'll move it in an unusual
circumstance, but not for the half dozen people toting 2 or 3 fairly large
bags. And no matter what people think, the Airlines DON'T enforce the 1

bag
rule.

Having read all the posts so far, it seems to me that there are two kinds of
pax: those that follow the known rules, and those that don't. (Those that
don't have a wide variety of excuses, none of which actually excuse them
from following the published "terms and conditions" of flying.) And never
the twain shall meet...

Old January 15th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Me wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

I like the Shoe thing. We have to have our shoes inspected because some
nimrod had explosives in his shoes. Think of what will happen if they find
a guy with a stick of dynamite up his ass. (They already have the rubber
gloves)

Actually, only shoes that have metal components are searched. I solved
the problem by wearing sneakers onboard flights. I have never, not once,
had my shoes inspected because they contain no metal at all and I travel
about three times a year on average. My previous flight was about one
month ago and my next one will be in early March with another trip
probably later in March so I am not an infrequent flyer.

you are apparently oblivious to the fact that the infamous bomb shoes
were sneakers

sneakers would be the easiest type shoe to rig with explosives given
their large size and goofy appearance