living in europe

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Timothy Kroesen

Tourists doing laundry in the sink is increasingly frowned upon; you
might be forced to rethink your Two Month laundry plan...g

Tim K

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message

I do have a full 3 or four days worth of clothes, all of which

coordinate,
all of which dry quickly, can be easily washed out in a sink, etc.

--
Julie

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Timothy Kroesen

I've not seen that assumption made in the hostels I've stayed at... I
suppose it might be made inside the lobby of five star diggs though...

Tim K

"DDT Filled Mormons" wrote in
message ...
That's everyone who can't speak it well. The general assumption is
that anyone who speaks English and has white skin is rich - probably
with good reason.

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Timothy Kroesen

I thought you were expert in distinguishing the origins of people of
color; you claimed so right here recently...

Tim K

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Could you distinguish one from Stockholm from one from Cleveland?

Not on sight.

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Mxsmanic

The Reids writes:

its much harder to learn languages as you get older, or any other
memory dependant thing.

Memory deteriorates only very slightly with age, and the more it is
used, the less it deteriorates.

Significant problems with memory in old age are usually pathological.

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Mimi

"The Reids" wrote in message

What do people in Europe expect from an American?

I think we expect Americans to be poorly informed on non US
issues, in a rush to see major sites rather than holiday, be rich
and be conservative on food, wanting steaks all the time. We
expect them to have had a lot of dental work and have big toothy
smiles. Oh, and right wing in politics of course. We are
surprised by those who speak Spanish.
The last half dozen Americans I got to know didn't conform to
hardly any of that. Except the smiles and the food maybe. That
smile disappears when the offal arrives :-)
--

So what is the stereotype of an Australian?

Marianne

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Juliana L Holm

I intend to visit the Schnell und Sauber weekly. Just don't want to spend
all day there.

Julie

**********
Check out the blog of my 9 week Germany adventure at www.blurty.com/users/jholm
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Mxsmanic

B Vaughan writes:

However, when I was young, I used to remember phone numbers and
license plates that I had seen only once and had no desire to
memorize. When I lived in Philadelphia, I could have told you the
phone number of nearly every public office and a large number of
commercial establishments, just because I had had occasion to call
them at some time or other. Let's say that when I was young, I hardly
had need of the White Pages, now I'm reduced to hardly having need of
my personal address book.

I'm good at memorizing things I don't need. I know the license plate
numbers of all the cars I've owned, even though I don't own any of
them now. I remember my student number from elementary school, as
well as the student numbers of my sister and neighbor. I remember not
only my own Social Security number but also the SSNs of several
relatives and friends.

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Mxsmanic

Miss L. Toe writes:

Where do you think the word denim came from ?

Serge de Nīmes, a type of fabric that came (at one time) from Nīmes,
France.

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Mxsmanic

B Vaughan writes:

And, for that matter the word "jeans".?

Genoa, Italy.

Old September 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Mxsmanic

Magda writes:

How old are you, seven?

No, older than that. Why do you ask? Are there many seven-year-olds
who have owned several cars?