S.S. United States articles in Phila Biz Journal

Old March 16th, 2006, 05:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default S.S. United States articles in Phila Biz Journal

I saw a couple of articles in the Philadelphia Business Journal today
about the S.S. United States.

One article is about a documentary that is being made about the ship,
http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/...13/focus3.html

and the other was about it possibly becoming a museum in the future.
http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/...13/focus2.html

Bill
--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Bill C" wrote

One article is about a documentary that is being made about the ship,
http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/...13/focus3.html

Here is a quote from this article:

In April 2003, Norwegian Cruise Lines bought the S.S. United States and
announced a plan to refurbish it into a cruise liner for use in the
Hawaiian Islands. But, nearly three years after the announcement, the ship
is still sitting on the Delaware, and many of the ship's enthusiasts are
questioning if NCL intends to keep its word.

NCL representatives said that they are still in the process of testing the

ship for feasibility as a cruise liner.

"When we first bought the ship, we received e-mails and calls and we told

them the same thing we are telling them now, this is a long-term plan," said
Susan Robison, a public relations representative for NCL.

Now here is the translation of what NCL is really saying....

"Turn it into a cruise ship? Are you nuts? We only bought it to solidify
our political position so the US Government would keep letting us have the
only legal monopoly on cruise ships in the Hawaiian Islands. Yes sir... the
Congressmen can all point to how Norwegian Cruise Lines (which is owned by
Asians) is being very patriotic and supporting the USS United States. We
may be waving the Red, White and Blue but the bottom line is Green. As far
as our long term plans..... we will convert the USS United States into a
cruise ship when pigs fly."

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

Cruise Specials BLOG http://www.countryside-travel.com/3834677_6105.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm
February 10, 2007 - Valentine's Group - http://cruisemaster.com/grandeur.htm

Old March 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

George Leppla wrote:
"Bill C" wrote

[...]

Exactly my feelings from day one of this charade. Just like many big
business' they just tell people what they want to hear.
It's ashame to see her sitting there rusting away every time I go down
to the sports complex.

In the one article it said the fate of the SS United States was
dependent on how well the Pride of Hawaii does. Yeah right.
They still haven't figured out how to do Hawaii right with the Pride of
Aloha and the Pride of America. How they are going to find good workers
for 3 ships is beyond me.

It simply amazes me how many people continue to cruise on NCLA and
settle for a subpar cruise experience. Many, many reviews say, If you
want to see many Hawaii islands in one week this is the way to go. Just
use the ship as transportation. Eat your meals off the ship or go to the
pay restaurants onboard.

Hawaii must be beautiful to put up with a substandard product. :-(

Bill
Bill