Time to say goodbye!

Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
The Bill Mattocks

Default Time to say goodbye!

"Thur" wrote in message .. .
"The Bill Mattocks" wrote ...
I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior.
I have no doubt that I'll miss the travel, as I'll miss posting on
r.t.a. But the one thing that is constant is change.

Oh... :-/
I haven't been around that long, but I enjoyed your posts and printed them
in the past for other to read because I found them to be funny. And I also
would like to have your old job ;-) Good luck & have fun!
Greetz,

*no travelling here*

For those who might be interested, my old job is open and available.
In addition, my former employer is planning to expand and add at least
two more consultants who do what I formerly did. I remain on good
terms with my former employers, so if anyone is interested, e-mail me
privately and I'll be happy to forward your resume to the appropriate
people.

The job is Configuration Management Consultant for a major
international CM software company. As you all well know, it's 100%
travel (or mighty close to it). Pay is excellent (yes, excellent by
any standards), but you're on the road a great deal of the time.
Travel is mostly North America, some overseas from time to time. You
need a passport and a background in software configuration management
or a background in software engineering and an understanding of CM
principles and use of a major CM tool. The job entails doing
implementations, rollouts, implementation planning, customization
(javascript, perl, shell), and teaching training classes to groups of
10 or so. And you have to provide your own rubber chicken.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
freeda

For some years, I've enjoyed being an occasional participant on
rec.travel.air, and posting trip reports and stories that I hope you
found amusing or entertaining - it sure helped me deal with the stress
of being a road warrior, on the road non-stop to the tune of 100,000+
miles per year.

I've posted somewhat less in the last year or so, as I've spent even
less time at home or being able to relax with my laptop while on the
road, and of course as many have noticed, the tenor of r.t.a. has
changed - there are more trolls, more anger, less humor. Many of the
other 'regulars' have gone away due to this. I didn't stop reading
r.t.a., but I held off jumping into debates that I normally would have
greatly enjoyed skirmishing in.

I've recently reached the place where it was time to make a change.
The continued stresses of air travel in a post-9/11 world, continued
and advancing intrusions into my (our) personal privacy, and the
general business climate (more travel, spend less money doing it, etc)
have combined to make me finally decide that its time to hang up my
rubber chicken and move on.

I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

I have no doubt that I'll miss the travel, as I'll miss posting on
r.t.a. But the one thing that is constant is change. Who knows what
life holds? Perhaps in time I'll find myself on the road again. But
for now, that part of my life is over, and so to, my semi-regular
posts on r.t.a.

I wish you all safe travels, good restaurants, working rental cars, no
missed connections, non-metallic shoes, and TSA agents on Prozac.
Lots of it.

Thanks for putting up with my rants, nonsense, diatribes, and
ill-humour over the past six or seven years!

That's a shame, I have allways looked forward to seeing your trip reports.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Robert Browne

"The Bill Mattocks" wrote in message
om...
nobody wrote in message

The Bill Mattocks wrote:
I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

Bill,
Sorry to see you go. Your rants, trip reports, etc. are one of the reasons I
have stayed here for so long as the newsgroup has become almost worthless. I
spend mote time kill filing things tan I do reading. I just may follow you.
Good luck, and don't ever lose your sense of humor.
Bob

Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Simon Elliott

The Bill Mattocks writes
Thanks for putting up with my rants, nonsense, diatribes, and
ill-humour over the past six or seven years!

I've always enjoyed reading your trip reports. Best wishes for the
future!
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM
Olivers

The Bill Mattocks muttered....

I've recently reached the place where it was time to make a change.
The continued stresses of air travel in a post-9/11 world, continued
and advancing intrusions into my (our) personal privacy, and the
general business climate (more travel, spend less money doing it, etc)
have combined to make me finally decide that its time to hang up my
rubber chicken and move on.

Go not gently into the night.

I'll miss your wit, and the comprehension that you used your keyboard asa
escape hatch, a way of venting frustation at the foibles and dumbass
factors increasingly inherent in air travel. I always marveled that one
with as many built in idiosyncrasies and neuroses and physical
manifestations thereof as you could even manage to travel as you did. Few
might appreciate that for you what may have seemed easy and uneventful was
harder for you.

I'm not surprised at your decision (although to do it without having founda
new position seems in some respects uncharacteristic for one as well
organized a traveler as you often seemed to be).

After keying that sentence, an entirely different reaction struck
me....that your travels may have been so directed, organized, ticketed,
planned and developed by others, that it wasn't you who were so well
organized, but the system in which you functioned, and that you often were
relegated to the condition of "Traveling Drone", a Chaplinesque figure
caight up in the cogs and machinery of a system, only able to rebel with
the occasional outburst. In a sense, that explains your reaction to
WN....the only blow you could strike, the only battle you could win, some
say in the choice of airlines.

I don't know if my daughter, a mid level corporate exec/road warrior's
approach is better, but it qualifies as more effective. She has almost
single handedly revamped and forced the restaffing of her company's travel
department and policies on the grounds that sensitivities to time and costs
had so outweighed sensitivities to the perspective and "needs" of traveling
execs and staff, that the job performance of the travelers was diminished
far more than any savings could match. I at first laughed when she claimed
that the worst examples of sexism were not in the airlines or hotels she
used, but among the women in her company's travel office, most of whom had
never traveled further than a hundred miles, had no f'ing concept of how
hotels compared, possessed no sense of distance or spatial relations, and
were greater "male chauvinist pigs" than any of the male execs.

Good luck looking. There's more out there than you may think, but a
creative sense of relocating may be needed....

TMO
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:44 AM
Satya P. Chattopadhyay

Default The Bill Mattocks Time to say goodbye!

The Bill Mattocks muttered....

I've recently reached the place where it was time to make a change.
The continued stresses of air travel in a post-9/11 world, continued
and advancing intrusions into my (our) personal privacy, and the
general business climate (more travel, spend less money doing it, etc)
have combined to make me finally decide that its time to hang up my
rubber chicken and move on.

Dear Bill:

Thank you for the smiles your humorous anecdotes put on so many of our
faces. You have used your gift well. Au revoir!!

Satya

Old March 4th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Ken Ishiguro

I will miss your posts. Who will stir things up at my local airport SNA?

Ken Ishiguro

Old March 5th, 2004, 05:58 AM
The fog's getting thicker.

"The Bill Mattocks" wrote in message
om...
Folks:

For some years, I've enjoyed being an occasional participant on
rec.travel.air, and posting trip reports and stories that I hope you
found amusing or entertaining - it sure helped me deal with the stress
of being a road warrior, on the road non-stop to the tune of 100,000+
miles per year.

Bye, Bill. I've sometimes disagreed with your comments, but enjoyed reading
your stuff anyway because it was related to air travel. Unfortunately,
rec.travel.air has become an off-topic cesspool, reflecting the overall
state of Usenet. Many old timers (or should I say Usenet veterans) like you
have abandoned ship, and it's totally understandable. And frankly I see the
off-topic crap in here getting much worse before it gets better. Best of
luck to you in your future endeavors, Bill.

Old March 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:58:49 -0600 in rec.travel.air, "The fog's
getting thicker." wrote:

Unfortunately,
rec.travel.air has become an off-topic cesspool, reflecting the overall
state of Usenet. Many old timers (or should I say Usenet veterans) like you
have abandoned ship, and it's totally understandable. And frankly I see the
off-topic crap in here getting much worse before it gets better.

killfile. killfile. killfile.