Train travel in Europe

Old August 4th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Bronson Lee

Default Train travel in Europe

Hello,

It is my first trip to Europe next week. I will be visiting Benelux,
France, Switzerland and Italy. I only have 12 days to visit them all.
I have purchased the Eurailpass so I will be able to have unlimited
travel to these places.

I have some questions for the experienced travellers in this group.
I will appreciate any helpful responses.

1. What are the top sights/cities/destinations to see in this short
period? Remember I only have 12 days. Do not tell me I am too
ambitious about covering too many countries in 12 days. I have
already made up my mind and 12 days is all I have.

2. How do I save on accomodation? I know prices are sky high as this
time but there must be ways to save money. Could I sleep on the trains
to save $$$? Are there cheap hotels? I don't want to stay in hostels.

3. What are the things to watch out for? For Canadians like us which
are used to relative safety and stability, what are things we have to
be careful about?

4. How is crime in these countries? Do I have to be very concerned
about criminals, thieves or pickpockets?

5. Where can I go for the best European experiences? I love culture,
sights, food and local festivals.

Any other general tips will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old August 4th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Rita

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:30:47 -0400, Bronson Lee wrote:

Hello,

It is my first trip to Europe next week. I will be visiting Benelux,
France, Switzerland and Italy. I only have 12 days to visit them all.
I have purchased the Eurailpass so I will be able to have unlimited
travel to these places.

I have some questions for the experienced travellers in this group.
I will appreciate any helpful responses.

1. What are the top sights/cities/destinations to see in this short
period? Remember I only have 12 days. Do not tell me I am too
ambitious about covering too many countries in 12 days. I have
already made up my mind and 12 days is all I have.

We get many posts like yours. And the advice is always to
choose fewer cities/countries and spend some quality time
consistent with the time you have available. You could,
for example, spend 2 days in Brussels OR Amsterdam, 4
days in Paris, 4 days in Rome and have a bit of time to
see what is of interest in those cities. If you plan to
hang around in Switzerland as well, think about how you
will be spending more time traveling and checking into and
out of hotels and orienting yourself to each new place
that seeing what there is to see. Do your 12 days include
the day you arrive and the day you leave? If so, knock off
2 days of sightseeing. And do you fly into Benelux and have
to return there to fly home? Do the math, even if is
unpleasant for you to do so. You will have a better quality
trip, I promise you. Cross my heart and hope to die

Old August 4th, 2004, 11:41 PM
David Bennetts

"Bronson Lee" wrote in message
Hello,

It is my first trip to Europe next week. I will be visiting Benelux,
France, Switzerland and Italy. I only have 12 days to visit them all.
I have purchased the Eurailpass so I will be able to have unlimited
travel to these places.

Not quite - eg in Switzerland there are some private lines which aren't
covered, check your pass map carefully as I have seen a number of tourists
caught out having to pay very expensive extra fares. Also you are not
covered for most metro (city) systems.

I have some questions for the experienced travellers in this group.
I will appreciate any helpful responses.

1. What are the top sights/cities/destinations to see in this short
period? Remember I only have 12 days. Do not tell me I am too
ambitious about covering too many countries in 12 days. I have
already made up my mind and 12 days is all I have.

Certainly spend a day or two in Paris, Florence and Rome. Interlaken in
Switzerland is one of my favourites.
12 days is too short as you say.

2. How do I save on accomodation? I know prices are sky high as this
time but there must be ways to save money. Could I sleep on the trains
to save $$$? Are there cheap hotels? I don't want to stay in hostels.

You can sleep on overnight trains to save money and time, there are cheap
hotels, often near railway stations, often you'll find information booths
either in the main stations or just outside where you can get maps,
accommodation advice etc.
Couchettes are relatively cheap on overnight trains.

3. What are the things to watch out for? For Canadians like us which
are used to relative safety and stability, what are things we have to
be careful about?

Don't be taken in by anyone too helpful or friendly, or accept drinks from
strangers. Keep your bags with you at all times when travelling. Avoid
drugs.

4. How is crime in these countries? Do I have to be very concerned
about criminals, thieves or pickpockets?

Yes be careful about pickpockets, and unsolicited offers of tickets, trips
or accommodation. Buy through legitimate sources.

5. Where can I go for the best European experiences? I love culture,
sights, food and local festivals.

Away from major tourist traps.

Any other general tips will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Next time plan further ahead.

Regards

David Bennetts
Ausralia

Old August 4th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Mark Fagan

kind of late to be asking these questions! Anyway I suggest a good general
guide to Europe, either Lonely Planet, Michelin, etc. Avoid the heavy,
glossy paper ones. There is endless discussion on what to see and do, but a
lot can depend just on what's happening when you happen to be there. Be
flexible. Enjoy just walking and looking at the places and people, as a lot
of museums, etc. will be closed or on reduced hours.

There are inexpensive hotels if you look for them, but they tend to fill up
early. Try to get reservations at least for your next destination. The
public tourist offices (Syndicate d'Initiative or Office de Tourisme in
France) can help book rooms in other towns, or larger cities will have
central hotel booking offices (it's near the Etoile in Paris). The guide
books will have the info plus hotel suggestions. Try to book something for
your first couple of nights anyway, so you don't have that hassle when you
arrive.

Security wise, the biggest hazard is probably pickpockets, esp. on public
transport. However, it's no worse than in Toronto or any other big city and
common sense should be your rule. Keep your wallet in a place where it
can't be easily taken, and split your money and credit cards between it and
a money belt or other holder inside your clothes. Keep copies of your
passport, credit card numbers, etc. seperately, in your luggage and leave
one with somebody at home. Try not to be ostentatiously touristy, with
cameras, backpack, etc. Don't go into poorly lit areas at night, but stay
in the main tourist areas.

Old August 5th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
Bronson Lee wrote:

Hello,

It is my first trip to Europe next week. I will be visiting Benelux,
France, Switzerland and Italy. I only have 12 days to visit them all.
I have purchased the Eurailpass so I will be able to have unlimited
travel to these places.

I have some questions for the experienced travellers in this group.
I will appreciate any helpful responses.

1. What are the top sights/cities/destinations to see in this short
period? Remember I only have 12 days. Do not tell me I am too
ambitious about covering too many countries in 12 days. I have
already made up my mind and 12 days is all I have.

It doesn't matter. With that amount of distance, you'll be spending most
of your time on a train anyway.

Old August 5th, 2004, 01:15 AM
jenn

Bronson Lee wrote:

[...]

okay this is just a dumb idea -- a trip for only 12 days where you need
to maximize a eurail pass is unlikely to be worth much -- but for advice
on how to do it get Rick Steve's Europe in 22 days and adapt his
itinerary and advice to your 10 day trip [days one and 12 are travel days.